Knipester

Shahinian owners club

Super Wammer
12 hours ago, huwge said:

Heating wise the Bryston doesn't even begin to get close to the Meishu, nor in size either! but thats a different system and it's an absolute keeper.

I would quite like to downsize the Bryston though, hence potential interest in the Nord amps.

The Nord power amps are by far the best Class D amps I've tried. The op-amp makes quite a big difference to the overall sound - if you do get Nord amps try both the Sparkos and SI op amps. I got both and ended up preferring the Sparkos - warmer fuller and smoother

Not sure if I'm replying to the last post or this thread, anyway, soon about to find out. I'm trying to make contact with any other Larc owners, with a view to sharing experiences about what to me, is an utterly fabulous speaker. Mike 

Mikee, I have owned Larcs for a bit over a year and a half. I think they are a really great little speaker that sounds much bigger than its diminutive size. I run mine off of a Naim Uniti and a pair of Naim NAP-100 amplifiers used in monobloc type configuration. I use Mogami cabling all around. Currently mine are sitting on 24" heavy stands, much like the Target R series. I situate them upright, firing more upwards, but I have also laid them down on the same stands on their backs, much like a mini-monitor that way. I still prefer the upright position more. Certainly fills my room with good music. 

I used to own a pair of Obelisk 2's, but had issues in my room with them, which is an odd one, but could never quite get the mid-bass right. Also, I really did not have the funds to go where I probably wanted to go on the amplifier and source end, so I decided to move on, but the Larcs have been very enjoyable, and with the gear I have now, much better suited to them and more balanced. 

I would enjoy hearing more about your Larcs and setup as well. Enjoy! 

Tim

• Upvote 1

Hi Tim,

Thanks for that. I've tried Obelisks too, sounded great in the dealers, Audio Counsel, but definitely problems in the upper bass in my room. My Larcs are sitting on fitted carpet, I can't resist a fiddle, I've got drawing pins under them at the moment, think I like it, but too soon to be sure. Never thought of trying them on stands, I've got some rather old but good Heybrook stands in the loft, I good give them a go. Did you lose the bass? Thanks again for getting in touch, Mike.

Mike, sorry for the late reply, I keep forgetting to check every now and then here. Obelisks really are a wonderful speaker-providing you like what Shahinians do to begin with! Mine sounded really pretty decent in my room, but not as good as I have heard them in other rooms with different electronics. I kept fiddling with them and in the end, decided the frustration-and dollars that I would end up spending on source/amps was just too much, and still no guarantee that my mid-bass issues would be taken care of.

I do not mind how the Larcs sound when placed right on the floor-in my case, laminated flooring over concrete slab. However, the image they throw when seated on the floor is lower than I like. Placing them on the stands I have, the image is very stable and life-like, with the typical staging that Shahinians are so well known for. My stand top base is exactly the same footprint of the base of the speaker, so it works well with the resistive bass loading of the Larcs. I do give up maybe a very slight pinch of "bass", but I prefer the advantage in my room with the stand placement.

I have the speakers/stands placed about 6" from the wall behind them, firing straight out into the room. The distance between speakers is about 7-8' max, and I sit roughly about the same distance from them, maybe slightly less. I haven't totally made my mind up if I like them firing dead ahead, or with a very slight toe-in, but either way sounds very good. While not really much real bass going on with them, they do give an illusion of it, and that of very decent dynamics for a small speaker. Kind of like how a very well set up pair of Linn Kans can sound(And I hesitate to say that, as so many people hate the Kans!), but the Shahinian Larcs to my ears are just a more even/smoother listen. They can be slightly bright to my ears at times, and with them sited on the stands, I feel this takes a bit of that bite away, as my ears are a tiny bit below the tweeter level.

Just a suggestion, you might try a piece of marble or corian, like a cutting board under them versus right on the carpet. Have fun with them and enjoy your music!

Tim

Hi Tim,

Sorry also for the very late reply, I too only check here occasionally. Well I've gone back to no drawing pins under the Larcs. Took a while to decide, having the pins in different places under the bottom edge made quite a difference, so thankfully I was glad to get rid of the pins. They are very crucial about toe in, I've got the floor marked with a bit of tape round the back. Your thoughts on a "board" underneath, I'm thinking about having some birch ply cut to size, but I'm looking for chopping boards made of slate or bamboo, seem to be a few about.

Mike

Mike, chopping boards, slate or the birch ply cut would be well worth trying out, and probably very inexpensive. Usually I try things out over a period of time and make some notes of what I did, that way I can always come back to them. Sometimes it takes awhile to find just what suits or what doesn't. Bottom line, these are a very fun little speaker to listen to, very enjoyable!

Keep us posted!

Greetings

Saw this forum and thought I'd get in touch with some like minded Shahinian fans. 

I used to have a pair of Compasses, but they were a bit bass light for my tastes so I bought a pair of Arcs from Derek Whittington at Sound Advice. Top man and really knows his stuff. 

Front end was LP12, NAP 250, NAC 82, HiCaps etc.  Rega Vulcan sub for the very lowest bass notes but not sure I need it.  Since then I've sold all the Naim kit and bought Teddy Pardo gear with MB100 monoblocks.  A massive improvement in sound quality and much better soundstage from the Arcs which were quite lacking in that department before.  

A more recent improvement was made with a 3000w Mains Balanced Unit from Airlink (BMU 3000).   This relatively low cost device has transformed the sound with much greater sound stage, clarity and everything else. Wish I'd bought it sooner. 

Music is varied and supplied streamed in FLAC via Logitech system and Teddy Pardo DAC. 

I'm delighted with the whole system but would never swap the Arcs. I did consider Obelisks, but decided they needed too much space.   When I win The Lottery perhaps I'll reconsider. 

Cheers Paul

Sounds like a nice setup Paul! Enjoy your TP/Arcs! Curious, what size room do you have? Obelisks are another step up from Arcs, and really don't necessarily need a very large room to work well, but you do need a very good amp to drive them! There seems to be mixed feelings on how well the MB100's would do on them, I have no experience of them. Regardless, you have a nice system, enjoy it! 

• Like 1

Hi Tim 

My room is about 6m square but it was how far from the wall the Obelisks should go that put me off. I'm not into wheeling them around!  The Arcs are 1 foot out which sounds best to me. 

The MB100s have a lot more clout than the NAP250 but have no idea how they'd cope with Obs. Where have you seen these mixed reviews?

My obs 2's sit toed in slightly approx 40-50cm from the rear wall and 1.5m from the side walls. They sound great like this but if I'm in the mood the castors allow me to wheel them in to a more central position (1.5m). That's the beauty of the castors they really make moving them easy.

42 minutes ago, Knipester said:

My obs 2's sit toed in slightly approx 40-50cm from the rear wall and 1.5m from the side walls. They sound great like this but if I'm in the mood the castors allow me to wheel them in to a more central position (1.5m). That's the beauty of the castors they really make moving them easy.

I don't have much more than 30cm from the wall to play with without getting female grief. Do they sound much better when wheeled into the room?  Mine are 2 m from side walls BTW. 

I've never actually heard any Obs. Is 100w per channel sufficient? Not that I should be thinking about upgrading! 

Edited by muggo
Additional info

Muggo, not so much reviews, but more opinion and reading between the lines. Some seem to think it takes a power station to adequately get the best of them, I am somewhere in the middle with them. I drove my Ob2's with a Plinius 8200MK1 integrated, drove them fine with 200 wpc and high current capability-the current and good damping factor are one of the prime things the amp should have in general.

I know there are some running Obs off of the MB100's with no problems, so as seems to be, everyones mileage varies here. I would still have my 2's as I think they are fantastic, but I never could get them to quite sound right in the upper bass/lower mids, more of a room issue for me, not a speaker issue.

I agree with Knipester on the use of the castors, they make it easy to just roll them to the position you want when you need to. As far as general background listening, I would say a foot off the wall at reasonable levels, they would do the job, but everyone's room, tastes etc. are different.

Nothing wrong with your Arcs at all, sit back and enjoy them!

• Like 1

Thanks Tim.

Much as I love my TP ampilification, it seems I'm probably quite a way from being able to drive Obs well.  That's saved me a fortune!

I'm in Leics should you ever be passing by.  Kettle's always on...

Muggo, yes, funny how things work for the better(?) in that money-saving sort of way....Thanks too for the invite, I would have a nice bit of travel across the big pond to visit you, one which would be fantastic really, maybe someday! Again, enjoy your setup, I imagine it sounds quite fantastic!

• Like 1