Knipester

Shahinian owners club

Im really surprised that no one has kicked off a thread about this amazing speaker manufacture.

lets start it by hearing which shahinian speakers you've owned past/present and how did/do you drive them.

i personally was introduced to shahinian obelisk mk1 when I was collecting an eBay purchase. I eventually located a pair of early 2000 oak obs mk1 which replaced a pair of spendor d7's. Their presentation of sound simply blew me away and although the d7's were very good i simply loved the Width and depth the obs offered. When a pair of secondhand oak Mark 2 obs appeared on my radar I couldn't resist as I knew I loved the house sound and having read all the reviews it was a safe bet.

ive used a number of amps to power my shahinians including a Bryson 4bsst2,Naim nap300 & Vitus audio.

bryston 4bsst2, I never really connected on an emotional level with this power amp, it was undoubtably powerful and detailed but that wasn't enough

naim nap300, much more emotive but I always had a niggle in my mind that it couldn't quite offer the current my shahinians so deserved... So the search for a new/sh elusive dynavector hx100 started...with no success might I add.

what did result in this search was my introduction to Vitus audios amazing ri-100 integrated. It offered all the wattage/current my shahinians could ever need but also retained the emotional connection that the Naim provided. Suddenly sounds would catch my attention for their purity and resolution. The soundstage widened and the bass became seemlessly integrated into the sound.

would I swap my obs? Yes, but only for a pair of walnut obs mk2 as the oak isn't quite the finish I need. As to the sound they produce coupled with Vitus amplification I've no desire to change..

• Like 1

I loved my 2003 Obelisk Mark 1. I would have another pair without question. High current amps are required, with dips to 2ohm impedance.

They fill the room with a well balanced and detailed sound.

I changed mine to b&w801 which were better in the very large room I had. In an average sized British room they are sublime.

What's the difference between the style of presentation of Shahinians vs omnidirectionals like Duevels or German Physiks (and at the higher end, MBLs)?

I feel like there are many Shaninian owners and not many of the latter makes.

It's an interesting observation josh about shahinian v other names ownership, and I'm afraid I can't provide you with a view as I've not heard these other makes. Mbl look stunning (in the right setting) and I'm sure they sound great or at least they should given their price.

They disperse the sound forward, backward and either side so creating the very unique room filling effect but does that make them true omnidirectional, it's certainly how they are described in the marketing material.

Thanks for that.

I heard some omnis at the National Audio Show and loved their style of presentation. They generally seem quite fussy about room placement though, so perhaps Shahinians are the way to go (though it seems I'd need to upgrade my amp to cope with them).

I didn't find my obelisks placement fussy atall. They're not for people who desire traditional imaging. They go deep and high while retaining balance. The obelisks may be a bit bass heavy for your room Josh.

I didn't find my obelisks placement fussy atall. They're not for people who desire traditional imaging. They go deep and high while retaining balance. The obelisks may be a bit bass heavy for your room Josh.

Yes, I think I'd be looking at the Arcs by the sound of it. I'd be curious to try them out alongside something like the JBLs and see which I prefer. I really liked the sound of the omnis I heard (Zeta Zeros - looked hideous but sounded great).

I've only ever heard one pair in a friends home system years ago.

I don't remember the model but they were big and looked like antiques.

They sounded very good.

Placement is helped by the fact obs are designed with castors rather than traditional floor spikes which means you can always wheel them into the optimum placement when you want to do some critical listening then wheel hem back afterwards. I've often wondered why more manufactures don't incorporate castor instead of spikes because lots of us are not able to have our speakers sitting meters off the wall all the time, especially if it's a shared use room e.g. living room set up.

I do support what oldius is saying that they not that fussy and the ideal listening position is much wider than speakers I've owned in the past.

Your naim nait5i would drive them but you certainly wouldn't get the best from them so a change in amplification would definately need to be factored in as its current that is needed. I gather that the smaller shahinians are less amplifier demanding.

I love the architectural look of obs feels quite mid century modern, however my other half didn't quite share my enthusiasm when they replaced the shinny dark gloss finished Spendor d7's. The mk1's veneer finishes are darker than the mark 2, certainly my oak mk2's are lighter and have less grain in the veneer making them feel a tad more modern and less antique.

I've got some Arcs ATM, despite the internet telling me otherwise, I found them quite fussy with regard placement. Toed in about a foot off the back wall suits me to get a wall of sound .

Look good though in a flip top bin style :cool: