Sign in to follow this  
mosfet

Russ Andrews investigated by Advertising Standards Authority

i_should_coco wrote:

s2000db wrote:
mmmm iceberg... tip... etc...

Could be very amusing, so here's a :pop:while the ASA decide who to target next..;-)

We should file a complaint against Musical Fidelity! For their more power=better campaign.

Or N**m for the "World Class Sound" moniker. :D

It is about time the dubious claims of these people were at least questioned. I hope there are many more cases like this, at least it may make the public more aware of the wild claims some of these manufacturers make that simply cannot be backed up by proof as they are based in cloud cuckoo land.

Vive la revolution!

:pole:

Papa Lazarou wrote:

i_should_coco wrote:
s2000db wrote:

Could be very amusing, so here's a :pop:while the ASA decide who to target next..;-)

We should file a complaint against Musical Fidelity! For their more power=better campaign.

:lmfao:

DB wrote:

Thought you were a cable "believer" Dave? so which companies are you going to ask questions about then?? Enquiring minds need to know!

Cheers

Dave

Not thinking about cables thinking of the claims of some amplifier makers and speaker makers too

I think cables make a differance, but thats different to what Russ Andrews has claimed in the past.

i_should_coco wrote:

Papa Lazarou wrote:
i_should_coco wrote:
s2000db wrote:

:lmfao:

Yes, very good guys...:D

However on a more serious note, any company can claim that their sound is world class, stupendous, or any such non-descript ambiguous clap-trap.

It's when they become specific that they need to provide a modicom of proof to substantiate their claim. For example 'power conditioner x will make your hifi sound better' needs substantiation, and afaik, dozens of people who have written in to say that they can hear the improvement, won't wash... imo, ymmv etc ;)

Quad: "The closest approach to the original sound" ..... :dunno:

That should be testable.

JANDL100 wrote:

That should be testable.

I think the word 'approach' renders this as clap-trap, and therefore allowable... imo etc

There are many claims made that are just pure bullshine, esp regarding mains cables, conditioners, v.v.v expensive interconnects (who pays £10k for one!!!!), and other tweaks - CD cleaners and weights, cable risers, some stands - come on!!! Surely if it is stable and of correct material that is enough!!!! More benefit can be derivedfrom simply physically setting up your systemcorrectly in the space you haverather than expensive snake oil!!!! Good luck to the ASA- more to follow surely!!!

Davewhityetagain wrote:

JANDL100 wrote:

That should be testable.

Worlds Best Loudspeakers ? more than one company has made that claim

I did wonder whether you were thinking of the unmentionable "world's best loudspeakers" when I asked my earlier question Dave ;-)

amplifiers huh? not thinking of another of the industry's "less rational" individuals here by any chance are you? ;-);-)

On a more serious note it will be interesting to see where this goes, I rather think that it's only very specific claims i.e. "wonder cable lifters do xxxx" that will be effectively challenged as opposed to the more generic "wonder cable lifters are brilliant".

I'd be particularly interested to see the statements that the RA DAC1-USB is based on the Stello DA 100 with a "RA designed power supply" put to the test, certainly in my book throwing a wanky wire in the box doesn't constitute a redesigned power supply!

Cheers

Dave

DB wrote:

Davewhityetagain wrote:
JANDL100 wrote:

That should be testable.

Worlds Best Loudspeakers ? more than one company has made that claim

I did wonder whether you were thinking of the unmentionable "world's best loudspeakers" when I asked my earlier question Dave ;-)

amplifiers huh? not thinking of another of the industry's "less rational" individuals here by any chance are you? ;-);-)

snipped............

Cheers

Dave

I am not thinking of anyone company there are so many out there making claims

mosfet wrote:

2. "... Distortion levels inside equipment is vastly reduced, letting you hear a sound that is vastly clearer and purer, more detailed and far more dynamic ...",

[...]

2. Russ Andrews said it had not been their intention to imply that the Signature PowerKord would have an affect on measurable distortion levels in Hi-Fi equipment. They explained that the claim was the result of a typographical error, which had not been spotted at proof reading stage. They apologised for the error and said they would take steps to avoid a similar mistake in the future.

:roll: