graham67

Recommendations for HDMI cables

hi,

I am a newbie to digital Teevs so am looking for some advice on a decent but good value HDMI cable that is easy to route.

I used to buy decent analogue AV cables as the colours were noticeably better than cheapie scarts. But dont know if the same is true on the digital world.

The cables will be used from a Youview box and Bluray player to a decent 32 inch 1080p telly.

Many thanks,

Graham.

You don't need fancy cables for HDMI. If you got freebies with your kit, use those otherwise buy some from say Tescos for less than £10.

hi,

I am a newbie to digital Teevs so am looking for some advice on a decent but good value HDMI cable that is easy to route.

I used to buy decent analogue AV cables as the colours were noticeably better than cheapie scarts. But dont know if the same is true on the digital world.

The cables will be used from a Youview box and Bluray player to a decent 32 inch 1080p telly.

Many thanks,

Graham.

I don't know if there's any difference between well made HDMI cables so can't say anything for or against. I'd suggest you check out some AV Forums and see what their general consensus is.

Interesting Ian, almost had me reaching for the freebie, before I got to the discussion where a bunch of believers argue that it does make a difference ;-)

I really am just after a recommendation from wammers on decent proven cables that dont cost a lot. I could take pot luck on ebay but I believe this forum is likely to be more discerning and probably a little more skeptical than an AV forum.

Besides wammers wouldn't waste money on digital AV cables when one could spend the money on a new cartridge instead! ;-)

Graham.

Interesting Ian, almost had me reaching for the freebie, before I got to the discussion where a bunch of believers argue that it does make a difference ;-)

I really am just after a recommendation from wammers on decent proven cables that dont cost a lot. I could take pot luck on ebay but I believe this forum is likely to be more discerning and probably a little more skeptical than an AV forum.

Besides wammers wouldn't waste money on digital AV cables when one could spend the money on a new cartridge instead! ;-)

Graham.

Just try the freebie cables. They may not look or feel like a premium product but they are perfectly suited to the task they perform.

Graham.

Graham I have a Chord 1.3 Silver Plus HDMI cable I got years ago with a WTF mag subscription ... was £100 RRP at the time. There is no difference between this cable and the freebie cables that came with my son's PS3 or XBOX .... Or any other £1-£3 HDMI lead I have.

I will prove it .... yours for £20! But I guarantee you will find it cheaper online ....

hdmi_silver13_lrg.jpg

Super Dealer

With short cables there is very little difference , what difference there is is down to the better cables often having a better plug with a more "solid" fit. When we do install work we have a couple of brands we like to use for rack work , these are normally only short cables max about 1.5Mtr..and both the types we use retail for about £10-15 . When you look at longer runs then you have to be careful , a few years we bought a job lot of 5 Mtr cables that retailed at the time for £69 (we bought them very very much less than this..but we did buy 500)

95% of the time these have been fine, but in some cases they just dont work..you can take a lead between product A qnd B ,fit it into Mr and Mrs Smith's house and it would not work..take the same lead down the road on the same gear and would you believe it no go!!

So for longer runs we would always use a better cable(the ones we use are sold in plastic bags with no retail packing) or CAT6 cable and baluns .

Super Wammer

ha , we were in currys today buying a tv for a relative . oh my gosh , they wanted 44 quid for a 2.0 hdmi !!

i bought one on amazon for 6.99 . as long as it is 2.0 i am sure it will be fine

Graham I have a Chord 1.3 Silver Plus HDMI cable I got years ago with a WTF mag subscription ... was £100 RRP at the time. There is no difference between this cable and the freebie cables that came with my son's PS3 or XBOX .... Or any other £1-£3 HDMI lead I have.

I will prove it .... yours for £20! But I guarantee you will find it cheaper online ....

hdmi_silver13_lrg.jpg

Hi cj, have you thought about a career in sales ;). Have sent u a pm.

Thanks,

Graham

Super Wammer

now forgive me dan but this is a 1.4 cable

is it not best to use the 2.0 high speed version if they are cheaply obtained

Sorry, that's the wrong link! Seems to be an issue with the wam, it changes links!

This is the one I'd put initially: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-Supports-Ethernet-Return/dp/B003L1ZYYM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1465642985&sr=1-2&keywords=HDMI

'AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 2 m / 6.5 Feet Supports Ethernet, 3D, Audio Return' on Amazon uk

• Upvote 1

Yep these are great, they are solidly built (which I think is all you need). Unless you are going for long lengths which may require something more specific