Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

2N3055

Geddon vs Herc, lingo etc

Just wondered what the consensus is on the difference one could expect to hear between using a Geddon or various frequency stabilised electronic turntable PSUs. Does anyone have experience of both types and why they may prefer one or the other?

interesting topic. i've read a review or two (including Art Dudley in Stereophile) saying that in the context of an LP-12, an Armageddon was better with an Aro tonearm, while the Lingo was better with an Ekos or other Linn-centric setup. it's more or less a consensus view that the Radikal is better than either of the above power supplies, no matter the tonearm.

long way of saying, i'd be curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this, too. i have an Armageddon and like it, but a Radikal (and 45rpm!) is pretty alluring.

Once upon a time when Ivor was younger he brought forth a small black box to drive his hallowed platters. His dealers were given the text and they knew it was brilliant.

This cloth eared heretic wanted one but could not hear that the black box was indeed better than the Ekos/Troika, for it is that long ago. The Ekos/Troika was truly beautiful and yea it did knock great big chunks out of the black box. Never did buy the black box, but it didn't stop me having the same for a Voyd and later for a Kuzma.

The moral of this tale is trust your ears and use a black box if your platter will not spin without one. Other than that a decent cartridge is probably better IMHO. I'm not sure that a bunch of electrics sending a sine wave to an electric motor can generate a better amount of spin. But then people with the old large Voyd Ref PSU may well disagree.

I have an LP12 that came with an Air Norton power supply, reputed to be one of the best of all the off board power supplies.

Earlier this year the transformer died. So as a replacement transformer cost a small fortune I replaced the offboard power supply with the internal Hercules 2.

I find it hard tell any difference in sound quality between the two.

What does make a difference in SQ on an LP12 is a DC motor but I'm not convinced that changing power supplies will result in any huge improvement in sound quality.

My experience is with an LP12 perhaps other turntables benefit from offboard power supplies but just thought I'd chip my two pence in.

I use a Lingo 3. Bought it ex demo at a good price. Reason was that the Valhalla had gone bang twice and I wanted to play 45's. Second hand 2's plus a service plus sale of the fixed Valhalla were not far off the price.

First impressions were that it was a bit better, but not breath-taking. Then I put new motor on the 35 year old Linn LP12, brand new from the dealer who had upgraded to a DC motor but very cheap (at £50 fitted relatively so) and everything opened up. First thing I noticed was the platter started up much quicker. There was more bass, tighter, well everything really.

Was it the Lingo or the motor? No idea, but bloody hell it was an improvement.

What is a 'Geddon?' :?

What is a 'Herc'? :?

"Geddon" = "Armageddon"

"Herc" = "Hercules"

Both different types of TT PSUs.

What about the Norton Airpower? How does that rate against the others?

The same as above my valhalla blew and Lingo let me play 45's so had it but not massive change in sq

I can't really comment on the LP12 except to say that some of the Linn/Naim users I know have reported considerable improvements by upgrading to the Eurika (I thinks it's called). The Armeggedon is basically an adapted Naim hi-cap but to my mind is pretty much useless without a 45RPM setting.

However, when I bought the Xerxes there was the option of 3 supplies from Roksan and each were demonstrated. The obvious change was pitch stability enabling better bass definition and I guess a bigger soundstage.

As as ever the only way is through extensive listening with your own recollections.

Regards,

Lindsay

"Geddon" = "Armageddon"

"Herc" = "Hercules"

Both different types of TT PSUs.

Thanks,

Just realised this thread is about LP12s, thought I was on PFM for a minute, no wonder I haven't a clue what is being talked about ;-)

Thanks,

Just realised this thread is about LP12s, thought I was on PFM for a minute, no wonder I haven't a clue what is being talked about ;-)

Well it applies to any TT with a mains frequency dependent motor. I never owned an LP12. Just interested in what is the best PSU solution for my Townshend Elite II.

Well it applies to any TT with a mains frequency dependent motor. I never owned an LP12. Just interested in what is the best PSU solution for my Townshend Elite II.

In which case I think I have have one on my Kuzma Stabi S.

I use a Heed Orbit hooked to hot-rodded Ariston RD 11S and it works great. No mod required, just plug 'n play. Just another contender and a cheaper offering than the usual suspects. Isokinetic on eBay's the same. Made by Heed. In the end it's an ubiquitous Belgian Premotec motor, isn't it?

Regards,

Vincula

Some years ago Hifi World did a test on these PSU's and the Manticore version was found to be the best. I used a pre-production prototype of the Mamticore on a modified TD125 and it was a great device.

Mike