Natara

Classical Newbie.

Hi all I have in the last year or so since I have owned a streamer and had access to lots of different music been trying to explore new music and broaden my musical horizons so to speak. I have to my surprise found out that I realy like Jazz and after quite enjoying some film soundtracks Gladiator and Schindler's List for example would like some recommendations of classical music to try, different composers and specific pieces please nothing to complex but any time period. Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

Ps I have read the thread above where the poster asks for recomendations for his brother at Uni but there is too much again I dont really know where to begin I think user friendly or Classical music for Dummies should have been my thread title.

If you like Gladiator soundtrack then listen to The Planets by Gustav Holst - The first section "Mars" is where Hans Zimmer plagiarised it from.

If you like Gladiator soundtrack then listen to The Planets by Gustav Holst - The first section "Mars" is where Hans Zimmer plagiarised it from.

Thank you Alan that will go on my list to try.

Vivaldi's The Four Seasons is a popular piece that has started the classical bug for many folks. Lively, tuneful,varied, immediately appealing.

Sparf on BIS is fun - if you Spotify it's here ...

https://open.spotify.com/album/0qSIuFxX8isoOQ8inNt5HX

... otherwise just enter 'sparf vivaldi' into the search box of your choice :)

Have been listening to Holst The Planets - Venus suite or is it movement anyway really beautiful piece, thanks Musicbox/Alan very enjoyable.

Some random suggestions:

Renaissance – this was the equivalent of rock, music meant for dancing:

Tudor church music produced some glorious sounds:

Baroque – really an architectural term, but used to cover a wide variety of musical styles, culminating in Bach and Handel:

Classical – in the technically correct use of the term:

Romantic – the ancestor of most modern film music: