Camverton

Young Musician of the Year

Anyone see the final last Sunday? If not search it out on BBC iPlayer!

It started out with hugely enjoyable performances of the Strauss Horn Concerto and Nyman Sax Concerto, and as has so often been the case one could but marvel at the sheer accomplishment on display. The last finalist showed us considerably more though.

I have always found Shostakovich 1st Cello Concerto very impressive and one of the great Cello Concertos, but never before have I been so moved as by the playing of Sheku Kanneh-Mason who went on to win.

It was extraordinary to watch and listen to a 17 year old play this work with such power and sensitivity that one felt the aching pain of the human condition pitched against gritty stoicism. How someone so young can play in such a way as to allow the works intensity and sorrow to escape from the notes is astonishing. As the work progressed the orchestra seemed to sense that something rather special was happening and the soloists within the orchestra played on the edge to match the young cellist.

Certainly a name to watch out for in the future.

The Jazz finalists were all excellent.

A very enjoyable finale I thought - although I felt Jess, the Saxophonist was the winner for me. The musical performance and control of her instrument was staggering (the opening bars of Nyman's 'Where the Bee Dances' is fiendish) and to rise above the prejudice - and limited repertoire - which the Saxophone has suffered for so many years was a double-dose of fresh air. The Nyman isn't the most accessible of pieces but she did a wonderful job.

As a fellow single-reed player of course I'm biased. ;) I do know Jess's teacher well (Rob Buckland) and have worked with John Harle who's worked tirelessly to raise the game of the Saxophone in what is often a stuck-in-the-mud musical world. Jess Gillam is going to be a Big Name that's for sure.

All three were of course just fabulous and a shining beacon of brilliance in an industry (this is the whole music scene I should add) which is all too eager to promote mediocrity in the pursuit of £££.

A very enjoyable finale I thought - although I felt Jess, the Saxophonist was the winner for me. The musical performance and control of her instrument was staggering (the opening bars of Nyman's 'Where the Bee Dances' is fiendish) and to rise above the prejudice - and limited repertoire - which the Saxophone has suffered for so many years was a double-dose of fresh air. The Nyman isn't the most accessible of pieces but she did a wonderful job.

As a fellow single-reed player of course I'm biased. ;) I do know Jess's teacher well (Rob Buckland) and have worked with John Harle who's worked tirelessly to raise the game of the Saxophone in what is often a stuck-in-the-mud musical world. Jess Gillam is going to be a Big Name that's for sure.

All three were of course just fabulous and a shining beacon of brilliance in an industry (this is the whole music scene I should add) which is all too eager to promote mediocrity in the pursuit of £££.

I thought she was excellent.

You could tell she wanted to dance jump about but couldn't because of the contest.

I've not seen a straight sax played like that for years.

So many future greats in this years contest.

I don't know the names of the people in the band they all played with but they were also excellent.

The band who played with the Jazz finalists was the Gwilym Simcock Trio & they are superb musicians - I was at the final two years ago in Cardiff to see my nephew

Alexander Bone win the contest. :)

It was a great experience to see these incredible young musicians playing & coping with the pressure of performing to a live audience & a panel of judges.

The band who played with the Jazz finalists was the Gwilym Simcock Trio & they are superb musicians - I was at the final two years ago in Cardiff to see my nephew

Alexander Bone win the contest. :)

It was a great experience to see these incredible young musicians playing & coping with the pressure of performing to a live audience & a panel of judges.

I bet that was a really proud moment for your family.

I think its changed quite a bit over the years because most of the Jazz youngsters have been out and about playing live.

Its the classical solo kids i think have all the pressure on them.

They never look like they are having fun.

Thanks Reg for reminding that I had recorded the Jazz final. Such excellence although unlike the classical final I didn't pick the winner, I enjoyed the last finalist most, but to be fair jazz is a genre I enjoy rather am particularly "in to".

I did think Jess was enjoying herself playing the Nyman; she seemed exuberantly bouncy to me.

Alexander Bone was really good as well.

I have always found Shostakovich 1st Cello Concerto very impressive and one of the great Cello Concertos, but never before have I been so moved as by the playing of Sheku Kanneh-Mason who went on to win.

It was extraordinary to watch and listen to a 17 year old play this work with such power and sensitivity that one felt the aching pain of the human condition pitched against gritty stoicism. How someone so young can play in such a way as to allow the works intensity and sorrow to escape from the notes is astonishing. As the work progressed the orchestra seemed to sense that something rather special was happening and the soloists within the orchestra played on the edge to match the young cellist.

Certainly a name to watch out for in the future.

Thanks, Malcolm.

Just now listened to the Shosty.

:shock::^ Superb.

He's just a young lad, amazing ...

343DE95900000578-0-Comprehensive_school_pupil_Sheku_Kanneh_Mason_has_become_the_fir-a-43_1463784373308.jpg

Here's the BBC iPlayer link for the whole competition final http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07b26qg#play