The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

PhilofCas

Spendor Owners Club

OK - hope the wait is not too frustrating.

I had the A5s before the D7s.  In comparison the D7s were (are) so much more sensitive.  Published specs are 85dB for 1W @1m v. 90dB etc.  Took some getting used to...  started off playing the D7s far too loudly.

Earlier today I collected a new pair of Spendor D7 in light oak.

Before connecting everything up I had a last listen to my Spendor S6e pair which have now been moved into my home study. I've had these previous speakers for nearly 12 years and so I'm very familiar with the sound. 

First impressions of the D7 is less warm, but in a good way as they offer greater extension of deep bass and much more crisp high frequencies. My old Spendors' achilles heel was percussion which I always felt a could be a bit lost in comparison with other speakers in comparable systems. I'm now experiencing a more balanced sound with bass, mid and treble all having appropriate prominence. The sound stage was always fabulous with my previous speakers, but I think I'm enjoying even more now. In summary, the D7 make it easier to pick out individual musical instruments and yield more life like vocal characteristics.  

There are several reports of the D7 getting better over the first few hours of playing which is also mentioned by Spendor themselves.

Edited by argustimewas

Agree with all your comments :-)

On 19/10/2016 at 15:06, argustimewas said:

Earlier today I collected a new pair of Spendor D7 in light oak.

Before connecting everything up I had a last listen to my Spendor S6e pair which have now been moved into my home study. I've had these previous speakers for nearly 12 years and so I'm very familiar with the sound. 

First impressions of the D7 is less warm, but in a good way as they offer greater extension of deep bass and much more crisp high frequencies. My old Spendors' achilles heel was percussion which I always felt a could be a bit lost in comparison with other speakers in comparable systems. I'm now experiencing a more balanced sound with bass, mid and treble all having appropriate prominence. The sound stage was always fabulous with my previous speakers, but I think I'm enjoying even more now. In summary, the D7 make it easier to pick out individual musical instruments and yield more life like vocal characteristics.  

There are several reports of the D7 getting better over the first few hours of playing which is also mentioned by Spendor themselves.

My D7s just continue to delight me after over 18 months , sometimes I can't believe how lovely they sound!

Enjoy yours.

Ian

After  35 years my last pair of Spendor  (BC1)  a minty pair of S5E should be arriving this Wednesday. Following a house move last year to a smaller bungalow  my AudioVector MI3 super are simply to much for the room. They boom badly.  My previous room was 25 ft by 14 with really high ceilings. The AudioVector filled it with ease.  Here  I can't have the speakers firing down the room,  near field either side of a chimney breast ,  sitting aprox  8 ft away.... Cross fingers,  it works... Will update when they arrive. 

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 18:46, seasidersrock said:

After  35 years my last pair of Spendor  (BC1)  a minty pair of S5E should be arriving this Wednesday. Following a house move last year to a smaller bungalow  my AudioVector MI3 super are simply to much for the room. They boom badly.  My previous room was 25 ft by 14 with really high ceilings. The AudioVector filled it with ease.  Here  I can't have the speakers firing down the room,  near field either side of a chimney breast ,  sitting aprox  8 ft away.... Cross fingers,  it works... Will update when they arrive. 

Hi Ian, any updates?

Hi Phil.  Yes the Spendors arrived. As described by seller on Evil Bay,  boxed in time warp condition. Other half has commented how good they look.  Big difference,  apart from there tiny.  They have slotted straight in and sound fantastic.  I have quality bass, no booming. Sound just hangs between the speakers.  They work well with Vinyl and CD. To be honest amazed at what's coming out considering the size of cabinet.

Played the Simple Minds Vinyl Half Speed Master yesterday, turned it right  up  (helps the old girl next is as deaf as a post)   big silly grin. Other half were is all that bass coming from.

Only noticeable difference,  they do need some welly,  they are no way  as easy to drive as the AudioVector. Which is  not a problem the Lyngdorf  Power  sounds fine.  So unless we move again there Keepers. Very happy. 

Edited by seasidersrock
spilling

Good result Ian :^, sounds similar experience to me, mine constantly surprise me, they too respond well to a bit of volume, I think in part due to their lack of glare.

Nice!

I've had my D7 Spendors for 4 weeks now and have about 120 hours paying time since setting them up. It's amazing how much listening I get through despite having a busy long hours full time job and a social life. I'm slightly surprised to find I listen to music for around 30 hours a week.

Of course it's difficult to remember what these speakers sounded like straight out of the box. I've just re-read my previous post in this thread to try to remind myself of my first impressions. Listening to them now I'd say the bass is much fuller than initial listening. In comparison with my S6e Spendors (which I still have, although in a different room and different source & amplification) I find the D7 has much tighter bass and much more sparkle to the higher frequencies, especially percussion such as drum sticks on cymbals for example. There's loads of detail and I'm loving hearing new bits & bobs on familiar music. In the mid range I'm experiencing more realistic tones in vocals particularly.

I became a first time Spendor owner today after trading in my PMC twenty 21 standmounts which I felt were a bit too bright and fatiguing for a pair of floorstanding Spendor A6r.

The Spendors arrived at 4 o'clock this afternoon and I've been putting them through their paces ever since. I know it's early days but I think I've finally nailed it after swapping different speakers to partner my Rega Elicit-r and Rega Saturn-r.
Lovely warm sound with none of the brightness I had before, every type of music I put on sounds great, nice deep bass too. I can see me keeping this system for years to come smile.gif

Edited by Ric969

Super Wammer

I have S5E for about six years. Very unfatiguing (if that's a word!) Very detailed and huge sound for such a small floorstander. Can't see a reason to change.

Anyone else out there have S5Es? What amplification you driving them with?

Edited by Richard A
Additional info wanted

A new member of this club... Spendor S3/5Rs arrived today - they're amazing!  Even just sitting on my old KEFs til I pick up stands tonight they sound fantastic - wonderfully warm and detailed at the same time.  They're even smaller than I was expecting!  But not in terms of sound.

• Upvote 1

Spot on Olie :^, hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

On 19/02/2017 at 22:16, Richard A said:

I have S5E for about six years. Very unfatiguing (if that's a word!) Very detailed and huge sound for such a small floorstander. Can't see a reason to change.

Anyone else out there have S5Es? What amplification you driving them with?

I had S5e's for a fair while, drove the with a pair of rega exon. They seem to prefer amp's with a bit of heft. Swapped them for A6. Currently trying to convince myself I dont want D7's in my life.