PhilofCas

Spendor Owners Club

This is how I always imagined a Spendor forum would be - understated and discreet like our speakers.

Spendor owners obviously don't often feel the need to  contribute to a forum as we are too busy listening to music.

One thing I woulld like to ask. Does anyone know if you can retro-fit wall mounting to the 3/5R2. I know you can have it has a factory fitted option, but wondered if you can convert later?

I shall now go back to my records.......

Sorry Russell, been away, saw this recently.

I'd say yes, entirely possible, will just required some symmetrically drilled holes, I'd actually contact Spendor, who will probably sell you the brackets direct and I would have thought, provide you with a mounting template to use.

Let us know how you get on :^.

All the best,

Phil.

Edited by PhilofCas

A (very) brief update, these speakers are superb!

Been swapping and changing my limited amount of gear around last few month, right now using Chromecast Audio (with either Spotify or my ripped CD's via LMS, casting from laptop) directly* into my Tisbury (passive pre), then Quad 306 (power amp), then S3/5R2's.

Spacious, clean, transparent, masses of detail, some lovely depth things going on, a really direct no messing about sound, oh, and I'll say again (and ask again too), don't laugh, but they can do some nice chunky bass.

The Tisbury's recent return to me (been on an extended loan to a fellow Wammer) has been the real turning point, this and the Quad seem to match the Spendor's so well. As for the source, well, the verdict's out on spending any more than the Chromecast, such are the positive sounds i'm getting. Will at some point try DAC and CDP, though for now, I just want to listen/listen/listen. 

All told, i'm really rather pleased with my little self :D.

(* i.e. CCA's own inbuilt DAC).

Edited by PhilofCas

Spendor fan here :-)  Have gone from Spendor LS3/5A (strictly speaking not really a Spendor), to S3/5R, then A5 and finally my D7s.  Driving them with the Benchmark DAC2 HGC pre and AHB2 power amp.  Happy.  Current source is the Oppo BDP-103D with a Samsing 2TB USB drive housing my music library.

After having a pair od S6e for over 10 years I'm looking to change to D7. 

Good luck with the plan.  Have you had a demo yet?

3 hours ago, hifidez said:

Good luck with the plan.  Have you had a demo yet?

Thanks. 

Have heard them although not at home. Will take advantage of the dealer's 30 day refund offer to home demo. Have ordered a pair in light oak and have been told they will take 7-10 days to come from Spendor. 

I hope you are pleased with them when you get them in your particular room.  If you can, please take advantage of as much of the 30 day period as you can.  Spendors take a fair while to run in.  Spendor say the newly developed material used in the bass/mid drivers runs in quicker than previous versions...  but, in IMHO, they benefit from hard driving in the early stages.  A pal of mine, who knows Spendor well, confirms this

With the D7 I find vocals, both male and female, simply stunning.  Also, they can, at first, come over as a bit bass-light.  I think this is because there is little or no cabinet resonance 'helping things along'.  They are actually very extended... flat to 35Hz in my 4 x 3.5 m room.  I'm excited for you :-)

Light oak is a good choice (mine are cherry and are ageing nicely as the veneers naturally darken).  I would have liked to have gone for one of the gloss finishes but in that form the speakers become dust magnets.  Incidentally, you'll find the speakers immaculate with the veneers properly matched.  Spendor are fussy about what they send out. 

Please post again and let me / us know what you think.  By the way, where was your demo and were you able to choose the music?  What's your taste?

Derek

Edited by hifidez
typos (mostly?) corrected

I expect D7s to be available in about a week and I appreciate your comments about a longish running in period. I use my system for 2-3 hours most days and so I will hopefully start to get the best out of them pretty quickly. I'll post my impressions once I've got the measure of them.

The S6e pair I've had from new for more than 11 years are in cherry and that has aged nicely too. I went for light oak this time as that's a better match for the other furniture in the room.

I mainly listen to rock & blues / prog rock / acoustic rock from the late 1960s to the present day. I have pretty eclectic tastes and also enjoy indie rock and female vocalists - I'm currently exploring the Kate Bush back catalogue.

I heard a pair of D7 at Moorgate Acoustics in Sheffield to a mix of my musical tastes. It's also where I got my first listen to Daft Punk - RAM which I now have on vinyl and love. 

On 15-5-2016 at 09:29, anuenlil said:

S3/5R and sp1s here

And S20's now :-)

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, anuenlil said:

And S20's now :-)

:) A Spendor collector in the making :^

On 28/09/2016 at 18:22, argustimewas said:

I expect D7s to be available in about a week and I appreciate your comments about a longish running in period. I use my system for 2-3 hours most days and so I will hopefully start to get the best out of them pretty quickly. I'll post my impressions once I've got the measure of them.

The S6e pair I've had from new for more than 11 years are in cherry and that has aged nicely too. I went for light oak this time as that's a better match for the other furniture in the room.

I mainly listen to rock & blues / prog rock / acoustic rock from the late 1960s to the present day. I have pretty eclectic tastes and also enjoy indie rock and female vocalists - I'm currently exploring the Kate Bush back catalogue.

I heard a pair of D7 at Moorgate Acoustics in Sheffield to a mix of my musical tastes. It's also where I got my first listen to Daft Punk - RAM which I now have on vinyl and love. 

Any news?  Delivery yet?

4 hours ago, hifidez said:

Any news?  Delivery yet?

They are at the dealer, but I'm too busy at work to go over to collect them and will be away at the weekend and so not able to listen even if I had them! Plan to pick them up next week and if not a week on Saturday. It's frustrating to wait, but it's all I can do.