Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

FidelityArt

North West Audio Show 2016

My wife and I dropped in yesterday, before it got busy. The sjs amps are bigger than I expected, but attractive none the less, and the sound was one my wife's two favourites*. The choice of music helped, of course, but still. There were a couple of Simon's headphone amps there, one of them finished the night before and being picked up by the new owner. Gorgeous in its black and deep gold livery; I hate headphones, but a pre or power amp in those colours would look good in my living room! My hearing with its 8kHZ peak doesn't get on with the Heco speakers he was using (although my wife had no problems), but even so I could hear through them to the sound the electronics weren't making. Just the music. I had to bring my wife back for another listen!

But they need a Perspex top to show off the internals, which, at least to me, are as pretty as the outsides. :love:

Let's hope they do as well as they deserve.

* The other one was the soundkaos room, where I had to find out what the music was. David Munyon, as it happens. And my wife found the show far less boring than she expected. So I'd better not take her to Bristol then. :D

Had to duck out this year, please post pictures and stuff!

Another excellent NW Audio Show. This really is a cracking show, and only 30 mins from my house :)

Standouts for me included the 2 rooms with Heco Direkt speakers. If you are after an easy to listen to high WAF speaker these may well be it - my wife said she wanted a pair of the black ones for the lounge as they looked so good. This is is a very good thing as it went with an agreement for a dedicated music room for my As if we do this :D. She really appreciated the sound as well. I'll be very interested to see / hear the 3 way.

Simon's amps in the SJS room were the things of beauty we would expect and sounded wonderful with the Hecos.

The Grandinote amp was driving the Tune Audio speakers beautifully in the BD-Audio room. We stayed in Jack's room quite a while and really enjoyed this. Also, I haven't seen Jack since last year but he remembered I liked classical and put some on without me asking - how to win friends and influence customers :^:^

The horns and Lamipzator kit also sounded great when I was in there. Not sure I can convince the Countess on the aesthetics side though...

Slightly disappointing was the Magnepan 20.1s with Mark Levinson amp. Last year the .7s were quite a standout so I was very excited when I spotted these. They were very close to the rear wall and the seating very near field. To me they seemed closed in and the sound a bit lifeless. I can't help but wonder if this was the setup as Maggies are normally right up there in my likes.

I don't think I heard the Magicos at their best either as the volume was so deafening when I was in there that the whole room had joined in, the top end was starting to sound shouty and I spent a considerable amount of time trying not to wince. I also wanted to hear some classical but this fell on deaf ears...

Super Wammer

BD audio room was very good, like wise SJS 300b amp with the Hecos, was great, liked the look of the amp too :^, but I thought the Audio note room, though better than last year was disappointing, these guys need to try harder,

I went up there to meet Mark Fenlon of Mark Audio, Dr Scott Lingdren and Colin Tools who have a new venture called SOTO. As I'm the dealer for the raw drivers in the UK now it seemed a good opportunity to go and see what could be done with them and the manufacturing expertise of the team behind the products. I only intended on staying for an hour but ended up stopping all day and lending a hand, then ended up staying overnight! Unfortunately I didn't get round any of the other rooms but the place was busy and buzzing. The speakers in the two rooms SOTO had seemed well received. My favourites were the little speakers which is odd for me, I'm normally very much into power :) They are based on Marks Alpair 5m driver which is a single suspension driver which is quite popular with DIYers. Funny thing was everyone wanted to listen to the bigger speakers but every time there was a break in punters I found myself putting them back on. Of cpirse they didn't go very low but what they did was holographic and foot tapping, both of which I find really engages me.

It was a long day, we still had people coming for a listen after the show was closed at 7 and in the bar in the evening a good chat with some folk in the business which was nice. It wasn't the orgy of different kit and folk which the WAM show is but a thoroughly enjoyable day was had by all and I got to talk geek with Mark, Scott and Colin who have a huge wealth of knowledge that puts mine to shame really.

Stefan

As I had my wife with me, who didn't want to be there all day, I never heard the Mark Audio stuff, which was a pity. My only knowledge of them really, comes from the Ted Jordan connection, as I have used most of his drivers over the last 30 years. A comparison would have been interesting.

In my experience, full range (or wideband) speakers are at their best when used within limits, trying to extend their response up or down usually runs into problems. So small near field speakers would be easier to implement well. But as I said, I never got to hear them.

They are good drivers. Mark has taken what he did for Ted and moved it on, that's off topic though. I'm trying to arrange for Mark to do some talks on speaker driver design and engineering maybe in September at 2 or 3 locations

What did visitors think of the 2 locations thing on here?

Most stuff was at Cranage hall, the folk I spoke to that made the trek to the other place were moaning a bit about it but I suppose that is par for the course.

- - - Updated - - -

See to it please! :D

Will do

Super Dealer

I would say that only about 30% or people that went to Cranage went to the other hotel . We popped down to to look at something that we are trying to integrate with a control system for a customer then went back to Cranage until it was time to go . On the time to go theme...i think that 7 is way to late for a Sunday . Most rooms had closed the door by 6 ,some had packed up by 6-30 ...9-30 till 5 is way long enough if they keep it at one venue or if they can find a second more local hotel 9-30 till 6..

Had a great time was superb to get to see Deans music presentation this year, for those who missed it hear is his final track selection it made the show for me.. cheers Dean.

Had a great time was superb to get to see Deans music presentation this year, for those who missed it hear is his final track selection it made the show for me.. cheers Dean.

Yeah, the James Carr was a good one and a new one on me. I've been having a listen to that one on Spotify. Funny how many of his records were also in my collection as well.

Now back to the ironing.

:rockin: