hiphopopotamus

Goodman's Magister G Restoration by Juancho

Just wanted to take a bit of time to thank Juancho (David) on the forum for what he has managed to do with my Magister Gs.

Having decided to forego buying yet another set of "modern" speakers (read small/sterile/pretty) after daydreaming of an alternative upgrade trajectory, I bought a set of cheap-ish Magister Gs off the forum with the fairly modest budget I had at the time. These had monster 15" drivers that I hoped would finally get some decent bottom end reproduction that had always been missing, or bloated, or spiky to me. After taking the time to get them set up and correctly positioned, it was quite clear that while the bass was finally there, the mids and highs left more than a fair bit to be desired, not least due to their condition (a condition that the front baffles were equally suffering).

So a couple of months back I posted on the forum asking if anyone might be able to restore them, and David came to the rescue. After talking through various options, we decided it would be best to replace both the mid range and tweeter units (with scanspeak and vifa peerless units respectively), and the crossovers. Over the course of a few weeks, he sourced all of these, installed them, re-conditioned the front baffle, and installed new bi-wire terminals.

In the past I have auditioned a few speakers from some very well known mid to high-end manufacturers, and had always thought some of their mid-tier speakers (i.e not the ultra-expensive ones) would always be my ultimate aim (of course assuming, perhaps naively, that I don't get exponentially more infected in later life with this obsession, as I know many on this forum have, and end up prioritising hifi over general well-being and sustenance).

However, I received the reconditioned Gs back from David this weekend, and can confidently say that they are now better than any of those I have previously auditioned. The result really is astounding. The soundstage and imaging is something like I have never heard before, and they handle all sorts of music with ease. Of particular delight in the last couple of nights has been having Etta James standing in my living room with me.

And just to top it all off, they look absolutely beautiful.

So thanks a million to David, and of course to this forum in the first place, for facilitating my meetings with dead celebrities! These speakers will be staying with me for a long time.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer

There's a couple here https://adaudioconsultants.wordpress.com/2016/05/06/goodmans-magister-speakers-upgrade/ with the speakers still covered in cling film to keep finger marks etc away!

Nice job, congrats they look like new.:cool:

Photo as requested - in action at the moment with Neil Young at the Cellar Door (apologies for the poor quality - just a simple phone one) :

LrMobile1105-2016-102471286221773041_zpspmaeag5c.jpeg

These look really nicely re-worked, those are the tweeters we used in theActive re-boot of the Yamaha NS10M's we had at Scalford.

But tell me, is your turntable really stood on top of the speaker? I'm guessing you would suffer from some degree of mechanical feedback to put it mildly?

Nowt like a good 15 incher-he said, listening to Leak 3090s with similar!

There must be a lot of oldies we could resurrect likewise?

New isn't always better and meant-for-valve driven speakers from 50s/60s can be good.

My cafe had huge Heathkit things sitting on top of the big fridges! Could never turn them up though!

Penalty for using the phrase "Etta James standing in my living room...." (-: (we all know she was sitting)

They look very smart! Out of interest, how much crossover tweakery was required?

Super Dealer
They look very smart! Out of interest, how much crossover tweakery was required?

The original crossovers sent the whole signal to the bass driver, with rudimentary filtering to the mid and treble drivers, and you could hear the distortion from cone break. So they were completely ditched and new ones built with Jantzen inductors and caps and Mundorf resistors to cross at 380hz and 3800z. The original design also had no acoustic isolation between the bass and mid drivers, so the bass could modulate the mid driver. This was corrected too. Finally the mid level was tweaked by ear to get the best integration.

David

They look great. I have a pair of them here that I have rebuilt the crossovers with mundorf caps and jantzen coils , but have been thinking about replacing the mid and treble drivers for a while. I would be very interested in more details of the crossover you used with those new drivers.

Super Dealer

PM me with an e mail and I'll happily send you the crossover details

Super Dealer

e mail sent

missed this post first time, they look brilliant!

after this above writeup you are honour bound to hold a bake-off 😉

great work gents

graham