Sign in to follow this  
Jezzer

Garrard SP25 MK111

Super Wammer

Mate of mine has been offered one of these (in fairly good nick) by his next door neighbour.

Does anyone know how much are they're worth?

Ebay suggests less than £50, in fact as little as £21 for a MK III.

The SP25 was used as a transport for 70's music centres as well as in its stand alone form.

Hi,

I had an SP25III, it was my first turntable. My brother had the MkII. The MkII was much more robust.

They were both all-in-one units, everything on one chassis, driven by a rubber idler wheel. They were often used by DJs.

Not all that brilliant in the wow & flutter department !

Probably only good for 'scratchin' ' :)

I wouldn't have another :D

Super Wammer

:D

Ok then. I'll let my mate know he's got a shite turntable. When he told me he had a Garrard, I though, wow, is it a 401? Might be worth a few bob. He had no idea. Now he knows.... :P

I was a total poser amongst my mates in the 70's cosIhad a Garrard AP76 compared to the SP25 Mk3 which was the most budget of budget turntables.

They were nothing special then and I doubt they have improved with age, The stylus (note that i didn't say cartridge) is probably worth more than the turntable.

Super Wammer

Tel wrote:

the SP25 Mk3 which was the most budget of budget turntables.

They were nothing special then and I doubt they have improved with age, The stylus (note that i didn't say cartridge) is probably worth more than the turntable.

Well, that's sealed it then. He did saythe Garrardhad a new stylus.

I will tell my mate not to bother (as he has a pair of Technics dj decks already).

Probably one of the most "I used to have one of them" turntables ever - they must have built millions.

I've had one or two (or five) and they're not too bad, but nothing to get excited about. However, on hearing DP and NKs vitriol regarding them, I'm determined to buy one one day and audiophile-ise it!

my mum had one...didn't they have a semi auto arm? horible idler wheel thing with all the quality of a tesco £32 chinese DVD player as source....so bloody brilliant VFM then.:D

Actually, the Mk1 and Mk2 were semi autos, but from the Mk3 onwards they went fully auto, and then belt drive for the Mk5 and Mk6.

An interesting offshoot (well, "interesting" if you're a dull, Garrard obsessed nutcase like me) was a version of the Mk6 for disco use which was stripped of all its automatic gubbins and called the Disco Driver 80. Still haven't managed to lay my hands on any of these yet, though.

Beobloke wrote:

Probably one of the most "I used to have one of them" turntables ever - they must have built millions.

This is true, I used to have one of them :) My first proper turntable as opposed to stacking record player. It was rubbish. I sold it to a mate for a fiver and upgraded to Trio and think I got the better deal.

Here y'go, some SP25 p*rn for you all -

Mk2 -

sp252ez5.jpg

Mk3 -

sp253gd4.gif

Mk4 (especially for Earl ;)) -

sp254nj3.jpg

Mk 6 -

sp256tb9.jpg

The Mk1 looked basically the same as the Mk2 and i can't find any Mk5 pictures at the moment - forgotten the password to my "top shelf material" folder......:shock:

Erm.................I had one of those too!

The top pic fitted with the almost ubiqitous Goldring G850 budget cart unless im mistaken.

Re the auto mech, the smart folk, and DJ's disabled it, dead simple job I recall.