JamPal

Ken livingstone

Is he an antisemite?

I read what he said, but don't know if what he said is technically accurate or not? Anyone able to explain better please?

Interested in this too - I can't help feeling there are other agendas being played out here.

Probably but Livingstone of all people should be careful of what he says on camera/mic. There's always someone out to get him.

Technically he's wrong as there wasn't an Israel in 1932. He meant Palestine.

But there was a plan hatched between the Naz government and German Zionist Jews (what an odd mix) to relocate the Jew to Palestine. It was dropped after the start of the war.

There was also a plan to relocate all of Europes Jews to Madagascar (then a French colony) after the defeat/surrender of the French. But that was also dropped.

It turned out it was easier just to kill them all.

I don't know about the historical accuracy of the specific claims but this is the funniest thing I've read in some time:

"Ken Livingstone is in a disabled toilet and the British news media are camped outside the door asking if he agrees with Hitler"

KL is an idiot.

"Ken Livingstone is in a disabled toilet and the British news media are camped outside the door asking if he agrees with Hitler"

KL is an idiot.

He is but that is a terrific first line for a joke. Someone should write the punchline.

He is but that is a terrific first line for a joke. Someone should write the punchline.

Armando Iannucci, since he could so easily have conjured the scene of a politician taking refuge in the loos while hacks outside shout questions through the door about Nazi sympathies following an idiotic comment.

It's true that there's no specific evidence that Hitler planned to wipe out all German and European Jews at the time of his election, although I think it was 1933, not 1932 as quoted by Ken Livingstone. There are some question marks over translations / exact meanings in some of Hitler's speeches where he refers to removing Jews from having an influence in public life but the inference is for more than that.

It is also true that the Nazis - including head of the SS Heinrich Himmler - met with senior figures in the Jewish Zionist community at home and abroad before the war (as well as Yasser Arafat's uncle who was Grand Mufti of Jerusalem at the time), discussing how best to remove Jews from Germany to the area which became Israel, as they saw it as being in both party's interest. There were also suggestions of moving all Jews to Madagascar.

Surprisingly there is also is no direct paperwork showing Hitler ordered the Final Solution, although it has to be assumed he did specifically order it and did know about it, as it was so widespread and involved so many people, resources and departments. Many speculate that the people below him kept him out of the paperwork and details in an attempt to protect him in some way.

That's my understanding of it, although I wouldn't say Hitler was a Zionist before the war - that's a stupid claim - he just wanted them all out of Germany initially, at the very least.

Overall I think KL is quite anti-Israeli govt policy and rather insensitive to Jewish people in this matter. Is he anti-Semitic? He's certainly a liability to his party regardless.

There is a big diiference between being anti the state of Israel especially regarding Palestine and Gaza and being anti-semetic.

It is lazy journalism to confuse the two.

There is a big diiference between being anti the state of Israel especially regarding Palestine and Gaza and being anti-semetic.

Very true, but when you have the Board Of Deputies demanding resignations and seemingly equating the two every time a politician criticises Israel, it becomes difficult to even discuss Palestine and Gaza publicly for fear of media shaming tactics.

This. I read an interesting quote about the US Republican party: they hate everything about Jews except Israel.

I think our Labour party takes largely the opposite view.

Interesting... some other people in high positions have said similar...

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.681525

'Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu sparked public uproar when on Tuesday he claimed that the Mufti of Jerusalem, Haj Amin al-Husseini, was the one who planted the idea of the extermination of European Jewry in Adolf Hitler's mind. The Nazi ruler, Netanyahu said, had no intention of killing the Jews, but only to expel them.'

I don't know about the historical accuracy of the specific claims but this is the funniest thing I've read in some time:

KL is an idiot.

Hahhahahaa made me laugh out loud!

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, yes, we saw some of that laziness recently with our man from Trumpton.

His dog wasn't on a lead. I hate that.

That's the easiest way to get a dog run over , the prick.