Waxy

Stylus cleaning with a Magic Eraser

My tried and tested Onzo Zerodust ain't shifting the crud. Tried a liquid cleaner too but it won't do the job. Has anyone used a Magic Eraser to clean their stylus? I know it's only a couple of quid for the Magic Eraser but I thought it worth asking, and I don't want to kill my cartridge any quicker...

This all serves me right for buying a second hand record and failing to clean it before playing. :doh:

It works, just get the plain white stuff with no additional detergent. Cut a small block and then lower and raise the stylus into it a few times. Don't drag the stylus through it, it's fairly tough stuff and could rip it off the cantilever.

It works, just get the plain white stuff with no additional detergent. Cut a small block and then lower and raise the stylus into it a few times. Don't drag the stylus through it, it's fairly tough stuff and could rip it off the cantilever.

Exactly this. Just raise and lower. Surprising how often a small grey dot of muck is left behind on the M.E.

Second hand records are far less likely to be warped than new - at least in my recent experience.

I have used a magic eraser and it works well

use as described above

i cleaned up a secondhand cart with one and it is like new now.

give it a go

Don't clean your records with magic erasers though!

Nah, that's what Brillo pads are for!

If the Onzo doesn't work then you need a brush, the magic eraser is just a poor man's onzo

If the Onzo doesn't work then you need a brush, the magic eraser is just a poor man's onzo

Which brush? My brush is a bit shit. It's one of those free jobbies. Nasty cheap thing it is.

Which brush? My brush is a bit shit. It's one of those free jobbies. Nasty cheap thing it is.

This seems to work well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ortofon-Carbon-Fibre-Stylus-Cleaning/dp/B003COZIQ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461712685&sr=8-1&keywords=stylus+brush+ortofon

N.B. I've no idea about super posh stylus-needles and stuff and whether such a thing may rip a tiny diamond away from its fancy fixings!

I have a stylus cleaning device which was made by Thrunobulax (late of this forum). It consists of a piece of magic eraser mounted on the body of one of those vibrating (Wet) razors, you hold it to the stylus and switch it on. I believe a very similar device was marketed by Audio Technica?

That's an interesting idea - just wondering whether attaching a bit of magic eraser to an electric toothbrush would have the same effect.

That's an interesting idea - just wondering whether attaching a bit of magic eraser to an electric toothbrush would have the same effect.

I think there may be too much movement with the toothbrush, the razor just vibrates. A "personal" massager might work ;-)