bluedroog

How can I get a home demo of a DDDAC?

Do any UK suppliers sell the 1794 or is it direct web sales only? Any suggestions on how I could demo at home? If I had more space I'd host a bake-off but it isn't really an option. I don't suppose anyone around NW London would be good enough to loan me one for a weekend? I would happily loan an M-DAC to stand in.

I don't have huge DAC experience but I tend to agree differences are marginal in the area I have been but much is said of the quality of the 1794. Am I likely to see a significant upgrade or is it still all relative and I'm setting myself up for disappointment? I realise that a bit of an apples and pears question but humour me.

Thank you.

Stan Beresford will let you have the superb Caiman II on a 30 day return

I have one. It is excellent and stupid VFM

Stan Beresford will let you have the superb Caiman II on a 30 day return

I have one. It is excellent and stupid VFM

Hi, thanks but I'm looking at a specific DAC which typically comes as a kit making it a bit trickier to demo.

I had the Caiman 1 previously.

Contact Colin at Chevron Audio he has a new DDDAC under development and has a demo unit available.

There's only Chevron Audio that I'm aware of who are developing a ready built DDDAC in the UK. The stock DDDAC sounds superior to the MDAC (Ive done a side by side comparison).

Super Dealer

I've got two and live in Wimbledon. I'm sure we could sort something out. I'd suggest you hear it in my system before you try it in yours

David

Super Dealer
I've got two and live in Wimbledon. I'm sure we could sort something out. I'd suggest you hear it in my system before you try it in yours

David

James, are you sure this is a DDDac? I thought it is their own PCM1794 dad but nothing to do with DDDac

David

I have heard David's DDDAC in my own system and it is superb. Up there with the best digital I have heard.

James, are you sure this is a DDDac? I thought it is their own PCM1794 dad but nothing to do with DDDac

David

Their website states it is based on the DDDAC......I'd assumed therefore that as a minimum the main and DAC boards are being used, but perhaps not :dunno:. I think their DAC was at Scalford but I didn't get chance to go chat to them. It would be interesting see a photo of the internals.

David

Hi David, that is very good of you, I may take you up on that offer. I'm pretty flexible for time at the moment.

There's only Chevron Audio that I'm aware of who are developing a ready built DDDAC in the UK. The stock DDDAC sounds superior to the MDAC (Ive done a side by side comparison).

Thanks. I have been in contact with Colin re his pre-amp / DAC project, sounds really interesting, did anyone get to hear it at Scalford this year? It will cost £1,900. The price sounds about right compared to a built DDDAC plus one of Chevron's own Parabox pre-amps and is something I'd love to try, I think it might be ideal for me. It will have balanced outputs, remote control volume, one neat unit.

I want something to go with my Opals. Currently go between M-DAC direct and Croft 25 pre in and out of the chain. I keep changing my mind between upgrading to another DAC with volume control or just DDDAC and keeping the Croft.

The Chevron DDDAC ticks all the boxes in theory but is a single outlay a bit rich for me in one go. Selling my DAC and pre would get me a good part of the way though.