tetreb

Murican hi-fi

I'll get the speakers first. I was thinking of going with a pair of vintage JBL monitors, but I'm not exactly sure which ones. 4311s can be had for $500-600, however they seem to be a bit of a marmite. Any other suggestions? 4430s?

Klipsch would be another easy choice.

Has anyone heard Zu Audios? The styling would look odd in my old Victorian place, but I could play with that if the sound is right.

What else is there?

I'd love to try a Modwright amp, but I don't think I can stretch that much even for a second-hand one. If I do end up buying an expensive amp, how difficult is it to convert it to 230V?

Get a pair of 4311's or any of the similar models and find a nice old Fisher amp/tuner and you will have a great sounding combination .

If you have the time and inclination the Troels Gravenson crossover for the L100/4311 makes them sound even better

Both Manley, and Cary valve amps seem highly thought of. I had the Cary CAD 300sei for a while and its absolutely wonderful at low volumes. Its also pretty ballsy for 300b, just keep it well ventilated as it runs hot. I sold mine to Robin on here yonks ago and he's never had any reliability issues it sees off a lot of stuff at bake offs. The price point on Manley stuff seems a lot lower, they also look meticulously put together, the snapper being a classic.

For a valve amp, look at Line Magnetic for value for money. Also, the dealers in the Shindo network run very good trade in schemes, which would possibly help you on the way out as well as when you're buying. Try Matt at Pitch Perfect in LA, or look at Tone Audio's site for a more local dealer, these guys all carry LM as well as the higher priced Leben & Shindo gear. Push the budget a bit, buy Shindo & have it converted to 240v and you'd have something rare as hen's teeth over here to either enjoy or sell! But I suspect the dealerss would also simply buy it back from you, the trade in scheme seems quite well known and regarded.

Both Manley, and Cary valve amps seem highly thought of. I had the Cary CAD 300sei for a while and its absolutely wonderful at low volumes. Its also pretty ballsy for 300b, just keep it well ventilated as it runs hot. I sold mine to Robin on here yonks ago and he's never had any reliability issues it sees off a lot of stuff at bake offs. The price point on Manley stuff seems a lot lower, they also look meticulously put together, the snapper being a classic.

The Snappers are indeed great :) For brands like Manley, Cary & Rogue try the ex dem / trade in section on Upscale Audio's site.

If shipping second hand in the USA, please also check out www.usaudiomart.com