Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

tetreb

Murican hi-fi

I've recently moved to the US and I need to build a new system. I have ~3k USD to burn and I'd ideally look at second-hand equipment. I think it makes sense to go for American hi-fi, but I'm not that familiar with the local brands.

Must have: sounds good at low levels.

Nice to have: I'd like to try some tubes.

Not that important: low freq extension.

Room is squarish, 5x4m approx and the speakers would sit close to the wall. I mostly listen to jazz and punk/rock, but I also like hip-hop and electronic.

Now, in 18 months I'll move to London and I'll either sell the equipment or take it with me. That's why I'd probably avoid exotic components (difficult to sell), but in case it's exempt from import fees (relocation, anyone knows how it works?) I'd consider components that are also popular in the UK.

The budget is somewhat flexible, but I'd like to keep it under 3k if possible (including a turntable and a cheap DAC).

Super Wammer

Vandersteen could well be worth a look, a lot easier to find over in the US than here. The 1Cs are easy to place and decent bass extension too. Should work well with tubes as they are around 90dB sensitive and easy impedance load :^

If you don't go down the tubes route, Bryston is a lot better value over there, and something like the B60 is quite easy to pick up cheap, and works well with the Vandersteen 1Cs in my experience too.

I know Bryston kit really well, in fact the factory is in Peterborough Ontario where I was born! BP60 is a sweet but under powered and lacking in dynamics. My two cents

Super Wammer

Definitely look at Devore Fidelity speakers. They are among the best speakers I've heard and a helluva lot cheaper in the US market, especially used.

They also go very well with valves. You'd probably get a decent used valve integrated from McIntosh, Manley Labs, Rogue Audio, etc..

The Rogue Sphinx is pretty good. Plenty of watts with a valve output stage.

I8 months uses? Presumably apartment rather than largish House accomodations? A tt And a Dac? Are you shipping Lps then?

I imagine you are after a good reliable setup that will well please.. as opposed to bleeding edge technology sounds that will invariably render most of your recordings as sketchy?

Selection Could get really complex requiring a fair knowledge of what's Worthwhile and what's Dross. A learning curve, involving time and energy.

As suggestion:

Schiit make a good dac, inexpensively as well. PSB makes speakers that will please... by most any yardstick.

Used vandy's often(typically) need significant repairs and IF clever, the only place to repair them is at their Factory ... $$$

Used TT's ? well, you likely know what you want.

Don't turn yer nose up at a Simple Stoopid NAD inty amp either.

Sure there are better units (always) but not massively better ;-) and Many are notably lesser.

G 'luck on your new adventure

I see what you did there... :pop:

Gumtree is hardly used in the US - check on craigslist

Audiogon is where I bought and sold all my stuff when I was in the US

Brian from Whetstone Audio is a great guy and I'm sure would try and help you out.