Bolts

Leak exposes vast scale corruption

I suspect there is probably an exemption for the role as being "necessary" for the job role.

Labour meanwhile the odious self righteous upstarts

Possibly time to back away from the keyboard mate.

I don't believe I am a self-righteous upstart, nor are any of the Labour councillors I know who work damned hard for zero financial return simply because they believe it is the right thing to do.

Quite possibly I, my wife and many of our friends are 'odious'.

Frankly pal, wind it in a bit. Some of us rightly get a knuckle wrap for getting a bit out of the pram about hi-fi stuff. I do not really appreciate self and SWMBO being termed as odious, self-righteous upstarts.

Tel : Absolutely he's accountable as Prime Minister not for his personal life unless it compromises or undermines his position as PM which this doesn't. I hear the Carr point but as has been pointed out it's somewhat if not very different.

Rich - I had you in mind when I said this i said this did not apply to individuals. Of course you and Mrs R work tirelessly for something you believe in as no doubt do many individuals in all political parties. As far as I'm aware or can recall this doesn't apply to you but think about the occasions on here we have read the "Tory c----- " expression.

Bob - you might think dodgy but nothing illegal - even the Daily Mail who were at their muck racking sensationalist best (worst) had to concede that.

Bob - you might think dodgy but nothing illegal - even the Daily Mail who were at their muck racking sensationalist best (worst) had to concede that.

Again:

The point is the hypocritical bullshit.

Cameron attacked people who took legal measures to avoid tax, saying it was morally wrong.

The point is the hypocritical bullshit.

Cameron attacked people who took legal measures to avoid tax, saying it was morally wrong. Jimmy Carr in particular.

Jimmy Carr didn't take legal measures to avoid tax. His arrangements were abusive, which are now explicitly illegal, at least as far as I can tell, under GAAR.

IOW, the measures he took didn't remove his liability to actually pay tax on his earnings.

There seems no reciprocity with what we know about David Cameron, his father and family, and their tax.

Paul

My only comment would be ....does he pay tax on the benefit in kind of living rent free in no 10 ?

Usually not required if it's a condition of the job to live in the house, we have two employees doing the same, we can pay the council tax as well.

It's different for directors though, if my house becomes worth more than 500k a tax charge will arise, also some aspects of house maintenance are a taxable benefit.

I think some union leaders struggled to satisfy the HMRC conditions a while ago, memory fails me on the names.

One question for everybody:

Are you willing to pay any more tax than you actually have to?

Super Wammer

have been watching this thread & I now assume all the wammers pointing at Cameron don't have ANY pension arrangements whatsoever?

really? because to follow the arguments . . .

1. tax efficient planning - so morally wrong
  2. offshore investments could (and probably are) used by pension funds - also morally wrong
  3. such investments could make a profit to boost the fund - yet again morally wrong

much better that we all rely on the state in our old age for a pension eh?

Tax planning this year, I promise.

Some pension off shore in HK, that's not very exciting.

Lets hope there's an improvement in said's profitability.

With my state pension i'll be working until I die. OK because as soon as I retire my IHT liability doubles.

Super Wammer

everyone assumes that 'off shore' is a miracle cure, actually it can add risk because of the exchange rate exposure - so it needs careful thought & planning

PS not that I normally watch it (as Andrew Marr is useless) but the begining Sunday AM was funny yesterday - when LBC presenter Iain Dale asked that silly woman Polly Toynbee their 2nd homes and should we make them illegal - made me laugh, no double standards then?

everyone assumes that 'off shore' is a miracle cure, actually it can add risk because of the exchange rate exposure - so it needs careful thought & planning

And an element of luck; our business was going down fast a few years ago due to 21% interest on the overdraft.

Swapped the overdraft into a Swiss franc loan at 3% iirc then paid it off a few years later when the exchange rate came good.

It could have all gone the other way obviously.

Anyone can open an offshore account via their high street bank, not really a big deal these days. Lots of standard businesses use offshore accounts for a variety of reasons, not tax related, this includes pension funds.

However, in the days when Cameron's father started of what was essentially a UK run fund and offshored it, employing a load of European directors to run it, well those were different days. There most certainly were very good tax advantages to be had and the secrecy was most welcome.

Of course some offshore locations attract customer's due to their secrecy laws; Panama, Cayman etc. Why else do people think the world's billionaires use them?

Does Cameron deserve the stick he is getting, well yes he does. He preaches one thing while his family does/did another and he handled the whole thing badly. He is on the back foot over this and Corbyn hasn't had to do a thing, which is a relief as he couldn't ask a pointed question if he tried.

Super Wammer

really glad that it worked for you Tim and I guess that you went in eyes open :^