graham67

For Sale - Pioneer A-91D Reference Digital Stereo Amplifier (Urushi)

*************** NOW SOLD ****************

Pioneers top integrated amp of the late eighties from the Reference range (also known as the Urushi or Elite range).

In stunning condition, this amp would suit the most fastidious buyer. There are no marks on the gloss metal front panel, and all controls and knobs show no sign of wear. The Urushi side panels are in excellent condition. As is common with the premium amps of this period, the build quality is very high with all the controls operating smoothly and precisely. The baseplate and backplate are copper and the rotary controls are cast metal unlike later elite models.

This amp is comprehensively equipped with high quality MM and MC phono inputs, including what I believe are on-board step-up transformers for the MC input and a switchable subsonic filter. It also has 6 analogue inputs and 5 digital inputs, (both Coax and TOSLINK options) and an on-board Burr Brown DAC, a revolutionary feature in its time.

It is equipped with bass, treble and loudness controls which can be switched out using the direct input option. It also includes a number of analogue, digital and analogue/digital taping inputs and outputs.

It has two extremely heavy cast metal transformers and two enormous 26,000 uF Elna PSU capacitors. Power is 120w into 8 ohms or 170w into 4 ohm loads, and can drive difficult loads with ease.

I have an electronic copy of the manual, so if interested, please pm me your email and I will send the manual to you as it includes the full specifications and explains the various functions very well.

This is a European/UK model model not a US or Japan import and works perfectly on UK voltage. It includes the facility to switch between high and low impedance speakers which was unique to the UK models. As can be seen in the last picture, the backpanel shows 220v however I have seen pics of this amp with a 240v sticky label masking the 220v script so I believe the same specification was sold in both markets.

This amp has been recently checked by our own Toprepairman and everything works perfectly.

It is a bit of a behemoth weighing almost 30kg and dimensions are 457mm (w) x 475mm (d) x 173mm (h). Since my hernia operation, it has become too heavy for me to move around easily. So much as I would like to keep it, I have decided to sell it and stick to smaller components!

Due to its size, this sale must be pick up only in Surrey close to M25. Or can possibly travel or meet depending on location.

Price reduced to £575.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002%201.jpg

P1010019%201.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010009%201.jpg

Stunning. I love this line of Pioneer elite gear. Many times I have been tempted to build a system with it

I had the pre power briefly, mine was nowhere as pretty as this one. They are stupidly good for outlay!

I've got the matching cassette deck it's sublime. If I wasn't up north...

If I had not recently bought my amps I would most certainly have had this, engineering and style that will never be repeated and worth every penny.

Good luck with sale.

Thanks for the comments guys, imagine all three together (CD/Cassette/Amp)!!!

It looks much better in the flesh than in the above pics which are a bit blurred - the gloss finish makes it hard for the camera to focus and also highlights every speck of dust under flash.

Graham

I can only second all the others. Not sure I can justify it for running my 95db speakers, but over-engineering of the sort that would cost thousands today. The chap who fixes my valve bits when they go wrong speaks very highly of the old elite pioneer gear.

Priced reduced to £600 before I advertise elsewhere.

Pickup in surrey near j8 of m25. Please pm if interested.

Thanks,

Graham