Chivas

Recommend me a SUT for an IO

Correct - aluminium won't do anything about magnetis fields. Of course, I did say that my new design was hum-cancelling. How many other hum-cancelling step-up transformers do you know of?

Cheers, if I have hum issues that I cannot overcome I'll give you a shout. And am happy to also test prototypes in my system for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audio Note's website doesn't give turns ratios for their transformers but does state that the they have a setting for their IO cartridges.

Slagle transformers I know nothing about.

Both the Ortofon T3000 and Hashimoto HM7 appear to have similar turns ratios of 1:30 (maybe 1:32 for the Ortofon). A higher ratio might be better for the IO cartridges.

Audio Innovations is another manufacturer who seemed to think it was a good idea to keep the turns ratios of their transformers a secret. As far as I know they weren't higher than 1:30.

So that leaves us (me?) assuming that Audio Note's transformers have the best chance of being suitable for thier IO cartridges. Of course, the turns ratio isn't the only thing that matters and two transformers with the same ratio could be of wildly different quality.

BTW, I would be wary of a transformer that had no sheilding at all. That's asking for trouble imho.

almost forgot, another option is the Jensen transformers:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/jt-34k-dx.pdf

1:37 ratio works ok, and they are v clean and clear sounding, if a little lightweight in the bass. I seem to recall ichm loved em, need we say more :D

1:37 ratio works ok, and they are v clean and clear sounding, if a little lightweight in the bass. I seem to recall ichm loved em, need we say more :D

They must be very heavy, shiny, and massively overpriced.:D

The low frequency extension is determined (partly) by the source impedance. In the case of Audio Note IO cartridges the source impedance is only 1 ohm so those Jensen transformers are likely to have a lot more bass than when used with higher source impedances (such as Denon's 40 ohms).

The low frequency extension is determined (partly) by the source impedance. In the case of Audio Note IO cartridges the source impedance is only 1 ohm so those Jensen transformers are likely to have a lot more bass than when used with higher source impedances (such as Denon's 40 ohms).

indeed, but my subjective comments have only related to SUTs I have actually heard in my own system, with my IO and Ortofon MC 70 Anniversary (1mV output).

The Hashimoto HM7 may have gone, but at the moment I do still have Slagle, T3000, AI S800, AN JP and Jensen stepups. The OP was asking for thoughts on the comparative merits of his shortlist, I have attempted to stay relevant to that request.

Now sorted - I'm having an IO and a beer barrel delivered at my place this weekend. Many thanks for everyone's input. Boogie time!!

Yeah, it's a good result. The only thing I've got to figure out is how to explain the Slagle in my equipment rack, it's not exactly the most unobtrusive piece of kit, is it? If I get my arse kicked I'll send it on to you!

Nice :^

Yeah, it's a good result. The only thing I've got to figure out is how to explain the Slagle in my equipment rack, it's not exactly the most unobtrusive piece of kit, is it? If I get my arse kicked I'll send it on to you!

Hide it behind the St Bernard! :bulb:

Now sorted - I'm having an IO and a beer barrel delivered at my place this weekend. Many thanks for everyone's input. Boogie time!!

Great result :^

indeed, but my subjective comments have only related to SUTs I have actually heard in my own system, with my IO and Ortofon MC 70 Anniversary (1mV output).

The Hashimoto HM7 may have gone, but at the moment I do still have Slagle, T3000, AI S800, AN JP and Jensen stepups. The OP was asking for thoughts on the comparative merits of his shortlist, I have attempted to stay relevant to that request.

Ok, I didn't realise that you had experience of the Jensens with the IO cartridge.

BTW the specs for that Jensen transformer are impressively detailed :-)

If you run the primary of your SUT balanced it will naturaly reject hum.

I have come rather late to this thread, but it seems that the OP has made the right choice without my input :)

Enjoy!

I have come rather late to this thread, but it seems that the OP has made the right choice without my input :)

Enjoy!

Not too late, it's always good to get reassurance as the dust settles and you start adding the numbers up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk