Chivas

Recommend me a SUT for an IO

I couldn't be happier with mine, even the looks have grown on me :D

DSC_0052_zps2577b1ec.jpg

The earth lead attachment though :dunno:

Quieter without it - that's why it's not connected :^

Audio Note's website doesn't give turns ratios for their transformers but does state that the they have a setting for their IO cartridges.

Slagle transformers I know nothing about.

Both the Ortofon T3000 and Hashimoto HM7 appear to have similar turns ratios of 1:30 (maybe 1:32 for the Ortofon). A higher ratio might be better for the IO cartridges.

Audio Innovations is another manufacturer who seemed to think it was a good idea to keep the turns ratios of their transformers a secret. As far as I know they weren't higher than 1:30.

So that leaves us (me?) assuming that Audio Note's transformers have the best chance of being suitable for thier IO cartridges. Of course, the turns ratio isn't the only thing that matters and two transformers with the same ratio could be of wildly different quality.

BTW, I would be wary of a transformer that had no sheilding at all. That's asking for trouble imho.

there's other qualities with the SUTs apart from a ratio, LOL

there's other qualities with the SUTs apart from a ratio, LOL

And you thought I didn't know that? Did you see the bit of my post that said "Of course, the turns ratio isn't the only thing that matters and two transformers with the same ratio could be of wildly different quality"?

Yes, there are plenty of other considerations besides the turns ratio, but a cartridge like the Audio Note IO is so different from the majority of LOMCs on the market that it has to be the first consideration.

BTW, I consider merely dropping brand names to be poor advice, hence I don't do it.