Engy baby

distilled or Dio ised water for record cleaning by vacuum machine ?

Yep ! You could save pennies :doh:

Haha...yes ! It's not just the product , it's the going to fetch it with fuel and parking costs.

I'm pleased that you guys have reinforced my view about the water from my dehumidifier. I use a Knosti at the moment and I'm a little unhappy about the residue left after cleaning in their solution.

I'll be collecting my distilled water from now on. Initially to rinse after a Knosti clean and ultimately to create my own cleaning solution as described here. Thanks guys.

It wasn't particularly the cost. The thing is I don't want to use anything that might react badly with the fluid.

Not much point buying the stuff then screwing it with the wrong water.

I would say the process is the biggest determinant.

If you use a wet RCM then stick to whatever floats your boat. For the records that are not improved by your efforts a suitable ultrasonic bath machine may help. Sometimes. And vice versa.

I use a Serge style mix, but am waiting on a variable frequency 80khz centred machine to become available for the failures from this process. .

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I used reclaimed water from a tumble drier condenser. On inspection there was plenty of fibres in there, so I filtered it through a pair of tights.

I'd be careful about recycling water from a dehumidifier. Although it's distilled, it condenses from a cool vapour and so can contain spores. The water from my dehumidifier can pick up black bits from the condenser.

Now I know deionised is suitable there's no problemo.

Deionised is cheap as chips. :oj:

5L for £3.50 from Halfords.

http://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/402396?$imageMainRetina$

Most pound shops sell 5L and distilled water.

amazon £4.43 inc free delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Up-Water-DW005--Ionised/dp/B000Y8WA38/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459260174&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=Deironized+water

You might want to try some IMS http://www.amazon.co.uk/INDUSTRIAL-METHYLATED-SPIRIT-PURPOSE-CLEANING/dp/B00CCQAFCS/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1459260448&sr=8-19&keywords=methylated+spirits

mixed with distilled or Ionised water.

Its by far the best record cleaning mix i've ever used.

Should be OK, and given that with a vacuum RCM, the liquid has hardly time to dry, any dust should be removed along with the dirt on the LP.

I can understand not using tapwater, as that contains chlorine, the effect of which I don't know and can be very hard and may possibly leave some chalky deposits even in the short time before the liquid is removed, but I don't see the water being that critical given the short time it's on the LP.

S

I think I would tend to agree, tap water up here is just fine and dandy.

If you love your Records ?

Tap water is definitely a No Go.

Especially in tube fed RCMs.

If you love your Records ?

Tap water is definitely a No Go.

Especially in tube fed RCMs.

There's a huge difference between tapwater in Cumbria, which is mostly surface rain water, and hence started off as 'distilled' and London or East Anglian ground water that has been in the chalk for perhaps hundreds of years.

Having said that, I agree that pure water is best, as that way you can be sure there are no harmful impurities. That's also why I would never use Methylated Sprit, as one can't be sure what it's ingredients are and what the effect of methyl alcohol will be on the LP and on the RCM parts. The purple sort of meths with the nasty smell would be especially worrying due to the dye used. Isopropyl alcohol is cheap enough and is known not to affect the LP or the RCM, but dissolves greases well.

S

I use one of these to make pure water for a marine aquarium. Four stage - floss, carbon, RO, de-ionise. Using a TDS (total disolved solids) meter on the water it produces, you get a reading of 0.00 - 0.02 ppm.

I also use this water for RCM duties. As well as cooking, hot drinks etc.

They are only about £50 for all of the pure water you need.

4stage_zpsb6e96e43.jpg

I use one of these to make pure water for a marine aquarium. Four stage - floss, carbon, RO, de-ionise. Using a TDS (total disolved solids) meter on the water it produces, you get a reading of 0.00 - 0.02 ppm.

I also use this water for RCM duties. As well as cooking, hot drinks etc.

They are only about £50 for all of the pure water you need.

4stage_zpsb6e96e43.jpg

Is that from Battlestar Galactica?

People get their knickers in a twist about this, but the water hardness is a trivial amount in terms of contamination. We have very hard water in our area (0.2g/litre). After washing I'd estimate around 1 ml is left on the record to evaporate (much less if you are vacuuming). This would leave 0.0002g of dissolved solids deposited across the record. The approximate density of the precipitate is 3g/cm3, so the volume of deposited solids is 0.00007cm3 or a single crystal 0.4x0.4x0.4mm.

Like I said, our water is very hard, coming from chalky aquifers. In other parts of the country it will be significantly less.

There's a huge difference between tapwater in Cumbria, which is mostly surface rain water, and hence started off as 'distilled' and London or East Anglian ground water that has been in the chalk for perhaps hundreds of years.

Having said that, I agree that pure water is best, as that way you can be sure there are no harmful impurities. That's also why I would never use Methylated Sprit, as one can't be sure what it's ingredients are and what the effect of methyl alcohol will be on the LP and on the RCM parts. The purple sort of meths with the nasty smell would be especially worrying due to the dye used. Isopropyl alcohol is cheap enough and is known not to affect the LP or the RCM, but dissolves greases well.

S

IMS is totally different from the pink/purple stuff.

Its better than alcohol.

One has only been able to buy it again unless you were a doctor for a couple of years since restrictions were lifted.

Lots of people have been using Methanol that can be bought in most stores like B&Q for use in modern fires.

The late great Keith Monks used to recommend IMS religiously for use in his machines.

When he died his son/son's decided to market there own mix for loads of money.

Its doesn't come close to the IMS mix.