Vincent52

Recommendations: Bach, St Mathew Passion

It's that time of year and for once I am not too far behind the game. I am slowly discovering choral music so recommendations for the Bach St Mathew Passion please.

Super Wammer

I haven't heard Herreweghe's version, but judging by his performance of the St John Passion with Collegium Vocale Gent in Barcelona I heard some of on R3 this afternoon, it should be great.

Here it is on iplayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0745cg6#play

I like the John Butt/Dunedin Consort version but it is a different sound from the norm (one voice to each part). Fabulous sound that really draws you into the performance.

Thanks for these, I'll give the link a listen.

I've got several versions of Matt's Pash but the ones that I find most moving is John Eliot Gardiner's on DG from late 1980s.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/DG%2BArchiv/4276482

Excellent recommendations. I too am very fond of Gardiners recording from the late 80's on Archiv. John Butt produces Gold in almost all of his Bach releases with the Dunedin Consort......their recent release of Bach violin concertos is quite wonderful. Back to the Passion......I would give my strongest recommendation to the late Harnoncourts recording on the teldec label (Das Alte Werk) from 2001 with a stellar group of soloists in beautiful sound.

Thanks for all of these. I gave this a listen yesterday:

I like the John Butt/Dunedin Consort version but it is a different sound from the norm (one voice to each part). Fabulous sound that really draws you into the performance.

Agreed. Personally that's my current favourite recording. It's superbly done and Linn really gets the recording balance 100% right. I was lucky enough to hear Butt's ensemble do the Mass in B Minor at St John Smiths Square a couple of years back and it was a truly memorable night.

The other one I'd recommend is Richard Egarr's, for me almost everything Egarr touches is turned to gold. It hasn't quite the musicalogical integrity of Butt (Egarr is always on the experimental edge of the original performance spectrum, as opposed to the academic one) but it has a wonderful freshness. Gilchrist has real credibility as Evangelist too, I hear him do the Matthew at Bath Abbey again a few years back (witih a different ensemble) and he's probably the top guy right now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Gilchrist-Elizabeth-Connolly-Christopher/dp/B00U2OSZ06

I'd also recommend Egarr's Goldberg Variations BTW, wonderful antidote to Gould and all that followed him .... (not that I'm anti-Gould but cretible alternatives are always welcome).

Thanks Tom, I'll explore these.:^

The one i prefer is a 1973 recording on DG with Berlin philarmonic with Herbert von karajan and soloists Gundula janowitz Christa Luwig, Peter Schreier Walter Berry and Dietrich Fisher Dieskau, Anton Diakov etc

Listening to the infamous McCreesh version right now, and loving the single voices approach!

As it's "that time of the year", somebody should start a thread on Couperin's Leçon de Ténèbres.

Gardiner has just released a new one on SDG:

http://www.monteverdi.co.uk/shop/albums/other-releases/st-matthew-passion

I liked his old Archiv one, so I've bought and downloaded this one. Haven't yet had a chance to listen to it properly, but what I've heard so far sounds good.