vinilli

scalford impressions from a noob

In the room that speaker system normally resides in, you can & do sit further away than you were able to in the Colman room. It hangs together very well.

Did you manage to get to hear all of the turntables Mark? I gather there was an issue with the TechDas briefly although it was resolved.

I don't think people realise how difficult it is to balance speaker systems like this and, as you say, I suspect a few feet further perspective would have been well worth it.

Unfortunately the one deck I didn't hear was the the Kodo Beat with the Airtangent. Pete did kindly try to fire it up for me but the compressor for the Airtangent just wasn't having it :(. Another time I hope.

That is outrageous. I hope whoever that was is proud of themselves.

I'm not worried. The room was full for well over half of the day, so it wasn't that bad.

Unfortunately the one deck I didn't hear was the the Kodo Beat with the Airtangent. Pete did kindly try to fire it up for me but the compressor for the Airtangent just wasn't having it :(. Another time I hope.

That's a pity, it was really impressive with the Miyajima cartridge.

That's a pity, it was really impressive with the Miyajima cartridge.

Yes, really good! They all were though weren't they? Not sure actually, that I could pick a favourite...

Hmm... I thought they were quite different and I definitely had my preferences (between the decks) - but then that's half the fun :).

Anyway, it got me away from Harv and Navi playing their drum and bass on my amp. Which by the way has cured a small but annoying transformer buzz on one of the amps so the ringing ears were worth it. I think they know me well enough after being friends for one day to take my critical take on their music with a pinch of salt. In any case they started to feel sorry for me and also the visitors and even started playing tracks with tunes in them.

My brother pretty much has the same view on my choice of tunes... people did seem to stay longer longer when either of you were picking the tracks guess its a demographic thing :whistle:

But just goes to show that drum and bass can cure any large number of hifi ailments :rockin:

Hmm... I thought they were quite different and I definitely had my preferences (between the decks) - but then that's half the fun :).

Yes, all different for sure but just as I would think that one was the best, a certain record would sound really great with another combo.

Cracking weekend, can't really fault owt but as long as I live I'll always remember them horns especially early afternoon with some opera type stuff being played, and I got to hear one of my own records, not the one vetoed by richie!! truly outstanding fellas and that goes to everyone. And as one who has never exhibited I'm putting myself on the list for next year. God willing

As a non-attender, I'd just like to says a huge well done to everyone again. The Wam done good. Proud to be a member, and in awe of the effort you all put in to make this such a great show and community. Thank you.

Edit: Ooops, posted in the wrong thread.....ah well, it's the thought that counts. It's the only one I've had all day, so I'm counting it!

I recognise the frustration of Hayward because although I didn't spend a LOT of money, I did have to spend considerable time on the Saturday evening and some of Sunday morning, working out temporary arrangements due to my usual pre amplifier failing spectacularly.

Indeed - the negative stuff doesn't need to be aired really, I personally would just be polite and thank the exhibitor before moving onto the next room. I had someone stand by the door of my room, wait 10 seconds, comment on the sound being "hollow" and then laugh. I'd have to put a lot of effort into behaving like that, but, I guess that's what my parents instilled into me from a very early age. You can't please everyone, not that I attended hoping for positive reviews anyway.

:goodone:

Guys it was an amazing room and some of the equipment was breath-taking. The chances of hearing such a system is virtually nil (apart from Munich) and the cartridges in use cost more than my entire system and that is before you look at the turntables. Getting that complex a system to work well in a large strange room must have taken a huge amount of effort. The fact that good music was played instead of bland music was great.

I initially thought I would try to get to every room but gave up as the music/equipment in the rooms was really worth listening to. Even allowing for Serge's 24 secs for each room I ran out of time.

At least 2 guys including a nooby said that the overall sound quality was better than commercial shows, I agree. For me there were some real surprises particularly when a great sound came from either an inexpensive system or from a system that looked like it would not work but it did. I probably did not say thanks to the individual guys enough but initially I was trying to get to as many rooms as possible. The sound quality in most of the big rooms was great, very different in some cases but still good.

The P&R was good and it was good to see that few people parked at the hotel.

I did not resist the temptation to have a muffin and coffee and it was cheaper than the same in Starbucks. The pulled pork BBQ and salad was good and cheaper than the same in my local pub. Not Cordon Bleu but cheaper and better than Bristol.

I like the free-wheeling approach to the rooms and what is done and why would anyone want to ask Dean to talk about hifi when he was having a ball, really enjoying the music and playing some great tunes? The sheer contrast in approach was good and made it really worthwhile.

In talking to a a first timer he said he had driven 5 hours to the show and said he would not mind exhibiting. A convert. He was really surprised that all the exhibitors freely gave up so much time, effort and money to give us a great show........Too bloody true.

Anyway guys a great show....

Oh yea a complaint....I went to give Jampal the benefits of my advice on cable direction selection and he was not even in his room. I stayed there listened to the music but he never bloody showed up. He should be banned and horse-whipped for a lack of support to the Show. ;-)