vinilli

scalford impressions from a noob

I had someone stand by the door of my room, wait 10 seconds, comment on the sound being "hollow" and then laugh. I'd have to put a lot of effort into behaving like that, but, I guess that's what my parents instilled into me from a very early age.

That is outrageous. I hope whoever that was is proud of themselves.

Regarding the huge multi way system - coherence and an even blend between drivers is never easy in a system such as this. However, if you sat in the furthest central seat (by the rear wall) it did come together very much better than in nearer seats - in fact it was very good :). Personally I tried to make it a point to thank exhibitors as each and every one had gone to a great deal of effort to demonstrate their systems.

• Upvote 1

My mother told me that if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.

2 further visits to something you didn't like on your first, is a waste of time. I see that you are a 'noob' but for future reference, it is best to keep negative comments to yourself. To exhibit this year I have taken four days off work, spent a tidy sum of money, which actually I can't afford and generally exhausted myself . It has been great fun but you ought to realise that it is an enthusiasts show and everyone involved does it for love, is a member here and can read your comments.

Absolutely right. On my last visit to your room a Bartok Piano Concerto was playing. It was amazing, I was transported straight back through the decades to the Festival Hall to experience the thrill, scale and drama of a live classical concert. When the brass came in it was spine tingling. Wow!

Thanks for all your very obvious efforts.

My mother told me that if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.

2 further visits to something you didn't like on your first, is a waste of time. I see that you are a 'noob' but for future reference, it is best to keep negative comments to yourself. To exhibit this year I have taken four days off work, spent a tidy sum of money, which actually I can't afford and generally exhausted myself . It has been great fun but you ought to realise that it is an enthusiasts show and everyone involved does it for love, is a member here and can read your comments.

Hayward,

sorry if I offended. I didn't mean to. As I said in my post :

"There were other good rooms and some I didn't like (but to each their own taste). But all exhibitors deserve praise, as well as the professional organization. "

And I also recognize the enormous and non trivial effort of building that system

In the end it all comes down to personal taste, but in the interest of the Wam, I will refrain in future from critical comments.

Regarding the huge multi way system - coherence and an even blend between drivers is never easy in a system such as this. However, if you sat in the furthest central seat (by the rear wall) it did come together very much better than in nearer seats - in fact it was very good :). Personally I tried to make it a point to thank exhibitors as each and every one had gone to a great deal of effort to demonstrate their systems.

Yep! You needed to be sitting, right at the back, in the middle. :^ It would have been better still a further five feet away :-D

In the room that speaker system normally resides in, you can & do sit further away than you were able to in the Colman room. It hangs together very well.

Did you manage to get to hear all of the turntables Mark? I gather there was an issue with the TechDas briefly although it was resolved.

Yep! You needed to be sitting, right at the back, in the middle. :^ It would have been better still a further five feet away :-D

Pavilion next year Ritchie?:D

Dealer
Hey, I'm not looking for anybody to kiss my ass. I have an excessive nature, even my nine year old son takes the piss out of me for having too many buttons to turn on my hifi! I do think though that the show is kind of sacred thing. It isn't commercial and if you go there to judge, you are missing the point massively. I didn't get around the other rooms much this year but the 2015 show I just walked around and enjoyed every room I went in. It's a unique event, a bit spesh and with something for everyone.

I'll kiss your ass - but only in your dreams!!

You room was the highlight of my day and I enjoyed you answering my simplistic questions about your superb sounding creation. Anyway, it got me away from Herv and Navi playing their drum and bass on my amp. Which by the way has cured a small but annoying transformer buzz on one of the amps so the ringing ears were worth it. I think they know me well enough after being friends for one day to take my critical take on their music with a pinch of salt. In any case they started to feel sorry for me and also the visitors and even started playing tracks with tunes in them.

Anyway, back to the subject of those horns. I sent a picture of them to my wife and said I had ordered our next system. I got a two word text reply.

"Holy crap."

Anyway, well done for being bonkers enough to build those horns and even more for making them sound just seemless and utterly beguiling.

I'd hate to think that positive criticism is, in any way, not appreciated.

But you have to always remember that putting on the Scalford Show.... COSTS.

Personal time.

Time off work.

Time making stuff.

Cost of making stuff.

Effort.

The strong likelihood that a precious piece of hifi will inevitably get damaged (or sawn up to get it into a room)

Hotel room costs.

Feeding & especially watering oneself over the weekend.

The years of knowledge & expertise that go into putting that system together, just to entertain others, for a few hours.

A psychiatrist would have a bloody field day.

But Wammers do this every sodding year, because like Everest, it is there to be conquered.

Not possible?

Prohibitively expensive?

Insane?

Illogical?

Hard work for no reward?

Raising a ridiculous amount of money for a mental health charity?

Bring it that fecker on, because wammers have no concept of the word...impossible.

Every time I see the monumental effort that guys, I am proud to maybe/hopefully call a friend, make to entertain, inform, educate and generally stick 2 fingers to the world of corporate, health & safety, generic bullshit, make to create a few days unlike any other, restores my faith in my fellow human beings.

Respect.

Ooof! Need bigger horns :D

Best get busy then mate.:geek:

I only got to hear it when you were still adjusting stuff on the Saturday night. Everyone involved in making that lot work is a far braver bugger than me!

Vocals were just awesome btw.

I'll be happy if I don't have to set up another arm/cartridge for a while. :D

One day, maybe in 20-30 years, people will look back at the pictures from these shows and say "Look what people did there, isn't that incredible? I wish there was something like that now."

Everyone involved in making that lot work is a far braver bugger than me!

Well, as my little girl said to my son the week before the show. "Pete is the brains, Dad is there just to look good." :rofl:

• Upvote 1

Well, as my little girl said to my son the week before the show. "Pete is the brains, Dad is there just to look good." :rofl:

:rofl:

You just stand by the door looking all confused intelligent as the greeter for all visitors. It's a good setup.:^

I had something of an epiphany in that very spot on Sunday with 'Shaft' playing at impressive volume levels. Hard not to sit there with a daft grin.

Thank you Richie, Pete and Mick for an awesome demonstration of what is possible. I think I had as much fun watching it all being painstakingly set up on Saturday night as I did hearing it on Sunday.

Prize comment of the weekend for me - Mick opening a small wooden Japanese cartridge box in a cardboard box containing four or five others of the sort most of us dream of one day hearing, let alone owning. 'Well I thought it was in there.'

Well done guys and thank you.