ff1d1l

First timer exhibitor experience

My first time exhibiting, after attending about two thirds of previous shows.

Arriving on Saturday I have to say I was continually over the weekend overwhelmed by the kindness, friendliness and camaraderie of fellow exhibitors. Really, over and above...

Enough said.

You know who you are!

I’d no idea the room could affect your sound to such a degree – from where the system is set up at home to the Gun Room I went from near perfect bass to all bass removed and a hump in the lower midbass. Some sub tweaking got an acceptable compromise but it was never as I’d wished, still, hopefully, the overall sound ended up OK, and not boomy. So if I exhibit again I’ll be going a week early and having that wooden floor up and getting a concrete pour…

Kevin (Tel), Graeme(grazie) and Eddie(westsounds) who all sat in on my room gave me some time to go round the show get my thanks, and enabled me to hear and drool over some great sounds and kit, which I’ll probably be unable to resist enlarging upon later.

Some very gratifying feedback over my system, including, memorably, “I’ve been waiting ten years to hear that amp combination” (JVC M-L10/P-L10, which I had on in the afternoon. He didn’t, however, say whether he considered it time well spent…)

Got back about half past midnight. Back to reality now to unload the car…

• Upvote 1

Some lovely kit and great to meet a fellow JVC fan.

If I never get to own aJ VC M-L10/P-L10 I can at least say I've heard and stroked one! :)

My favourite comment of the show was the guy who on entering me room said - 'there is definitely JVC in this room because you can smell it!'

.....it does give off a unique 'warm electronics' aroma :)

Hot JVC one-on-one action...should've had that on the Gun Room door....

Super Wammer

Thanks for exhibiting your system and it's so good to hear that you enjoyed the experience, which must go some way to making the hard work worthwhile. I'd read some of your posts on the forum and from memory, you were given a bit of a hard time by some (mind you,I seem to remember that you stood your ground, too!). You and I had a short conversation when my friend and I visited your room and my parting comment was to say how much I liked those Urei speakers. I thought your system sounded fabulous, which proved to me that you obviously know your stuff when it comes to hifi/audio etc. I'd not heard of Urei speakers prior to hearing yours, but was knocked out by the sound of them. Obviously, they were just one part of the overall system, but the overall sound was just as I always imagined a studio system would sound. And all for less than £2K. Superb!

Arriving on Saturday I have to say I was continually over the weekend overwhelmed by the kindness, friendliness and camaraderie of fellow exhibitors. Really, over and above...

Enough said.

You know who you are!

I’d no idea the room could affect your sound to such a degree – from where the system is set up at home to the Gun Room I went from near perfect bass to all bass removed and a hump in the lower midbass. Some sub tweaking got an acceptable compromise but it was never as I’d wished, still, hopefully, the overall sound ended up OK, and not boomy. So if I exhibit again I’ll be going a week early and having that wooden floor up and getting a concrete pour…

Kevin (Tel), Graeme(grazie) and Eddie(westsounds) who all sat in on my room gave me some time to go round the show get my thanks, and enabled me to hear and drool over some great sounds and kit, which I’ll probably be unable to resist enlarging upon later.

Some very gratifying feedback over my system, including, memorably, “I’ve been waiting ten years to hear that amp combination” (JVC M-L10/P-L10, which I had on in the afternoon. He didn’t, however, say whether he considered it time well spent…)

Super Wammer

Hi guys I too was a first time and agree with Nial on the friendliness, kindness and camaraderie. I was knackered by the end of the day but totally enjoyed the day.

My only regret was that I was unable to get round as was on my own. A friend who was supposed to be there cancelled.

I was happy with the sound in my room 207, and next year god willing, in the words of the famous Bard I'll Be Back.....

Thanks to all the organizers and the visitors for making it a great day

This. I have not been able to make it to Scalford (yet), but each year I'm dumbstruck that so many people give so freely of their time, and at great inconvenience travel considerable lengths to set up their systems for others to enjoy. That's very special. Bravo!

C

Thanks for exhibiting your system and it's so good to hear that you enjoyed the experience, which must go some way to making the hard work worthwhile. I'd read some of your posts on the forum and from memory, you were given a bit of a hard time by some (mind you,I seem to remember that you stood your ground, too!). You and I had a short conversation when my friend and I visited your room and my parting comment was to say how much I liked those Urei speakers. I thought your system sounded fabulous, which proved to me that you obviously know your stuff when it comes to hifi/audio etc. I'd not heard of Urei speakers prior to hearing yours, but was knocked out by the sound of them. Obviously, they were just one part of the overall system, but the overall sound was just as I always imagined a studio system would sound. And all for less than £2K. Superb!

Thanks very much - that was extremely kind of you to give me such positive feedback. I'm really glad you enjoyed the sort of sound I'm pursuing. Wonder if Gradient subs would have helped re the poor Gun Room acoustics?

And if you're interested in more about Ureis there's an interesting article here

http://www.in2guitar.com/stereo.html

And something a little more jaw dropping here

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?12303-Urei-Theater&

Dave - was great meeting you and chatting, mate. And I enjoyed your system very much...brotherhood of the ribbon!

Derek - thanks for that! Took me till three this afternoon to get it all reinstalled in the workshop and singing again.

Now it's as if t'were all a dream.....

I really enjoyed your system Nial, having it to myself for an hour was great fun and enabled me to have an extended listen with lots of different music. I played a bit of the stuff I bought myself and quite a few of your CDs too.

I had never heard the Uries before and was most impressed.

My favourite comment was from a chap who told me how wonderful the JVC power amp was and how he recognised the sound as soon as he came in the room.

I didn't tell him that the Luxman was playing at the time :)

Super Wammer

Great meeting you at the weekend and glad you enjoyed exhibiting, the system sounded great to my ears. Also thanks for the loan of the screwdriver :doh:

Super Wammer

Thanks for those Urei links, Nial, very interesting reading. Full marks for your courage in working on yours to work in cabinets rather than soffets. From what I heard of them on Sunday, I think your work definitely paid off.

Thanks very much - that was extremely kind of you to give me such positive feedback. I'm really glad you enjoyed the sort of sound I'm pursuing. Wonder if Gradient subs would have helped re the poor Gun Room acoustics?

And if you're interested in more about Ureis there's an interesting article here

http://www.in2guitar.com/stereo.html

And something a little more jaw dropping here

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?12303-Urei-Theater&

Dave - was great meeting you and chatting, mate. And I enjoyed your system very much...brotherhood of the ribbon!

Derek - thanks for that! Took me till three this afternoon to get it all reinstalled in the workshop and singing again.

Now it's as if t'were all a dream.....

This. I have not been able to make it to Scalford (yet), but each year I'm dumbstruck that so many people give so freely of their time, and at great inconvenience travel considerable lengths to set up their systems for others to enjoy. That's very special. Bravo!

C

It is staggering how this event even takes place, the effort people put into it is incredible. And the fact that people are willing to put all their precious gear (and some of it very expensive) into the car and share it with others just for the fun of it is mind-blowing.

It was a first time show for me (as a visitor) but the atmosphere there was amazing, and even the night before when I visited Nial setting up I could see it was something special. It was a real pleasure to meet such a great bunch of people and everyone seemed like professionals. Had a great time talking to visitors also and I got to listen to some new music & kit that I've always lusted after but never got to own.

It seriously made me feel like taking part and I normally cant even be bothered to move my main system to change a cable. The 5 hour drive there and then the same back with all the gear does put me off a bit though, but I'm sure there's probably others who drove further and still exhibited?

Nial, I think you could have done with a slightly bigger room personally to get even more from your set up, but it still sounded excellent.

It seriously made me feel like taking part and I normally cant even be bothered to move my main system to change a cable. The 5 hour drive there and then the same back with all the gear does put me off a bit though, but I'm sure there's probably others who drove further and still exhibited?

The furthest trip by an exhibitor this year were the guys who brought the huge Klangfilm horns and amps in the Lenco room.

All the way from Dortmund in Germany.

I watched the main amp coming down the stairs at the breakdown, it was a very heavy 4 man lift.

Rudi, one of the exhibitors in Syndicate 23 also bought a lot of heavy expensive gear in from Germany.

A truly massive effort.

:notworthy:

The furthest trip by an exhibitor this year were the guys who brought the huge Klangfilm horns and amps in the Lenco room.

All the way from Dortmund in Germany.

I watched the main amp coming down the stairs at the breakdown, it was a very heavy 4 man lift.

Rudi, one of the exhibitors in Syndicate 23 also bought a lot of heavy expensive gear in from Germany.

A truly massive effort.

:notworthy:

Well said, it was fantastic having them at the show.

Super Wammer

+1 a monumental effort from them. :notworthy:

The horns sounded lovely too. I once heard something similar (with a larger baffle around it) at one of the Berlin ETF gatherings. They were pretty spectacular but I didn't expect to encounter any again. Remarkable for a 2 way system as well.

IMG_3965-1.jpg