russ abbott - royds broth

Great weekend

Super Wammer

+1 :^

Really enjoyed this year, my first as a visitor and having a 'year off'.

Heard some old favourites:

• Richard/Gromit's bijou system as usual sounded excellent, those Q-Acoustics (different from last year??) sounded really good and matched the room perfectly.
  • Greg's Harbeth/Leben much the same as Richards, perfectly suited to the room
  • Dom's big Snells sounding effortless
  • Coco/Haywards Horns in the Colman room, Pixies smacking you in the chest
  • Orangeart in the Quorn room, the ATC SCM50s are probably one of my all time favourites now
  • Steves OBs sounding pretty epic, given the size of the speakers/room ratio. Lovely!
  • Edd's big horns, super smooth and dynamic.
  • Chris's Oto/T+A sounding great as ever, really like these speakers after hearing them a number of years now (sorry about cursing the CDP :oops:
  • Rick's AE2s, another firm favourite :^

Some new to me:

• James Triangle/Accuphase with SME bling, again did justice to the Pixies!
  • Lenco Heaven with the mad German horns, music not to my taste but amazing dynamics
  • Phil and Ed's Avid/Rega/AN sounded really well integrated, again, the AN/Snells perfectly suited to the room (liked the Avid :nerves:)
  • Rob's Technics/ESI room sounded great, excellent on the vinyl even with a little too fruity bass

I think thats it off the top of my head. Really nice to have time to walk around and actually get home at a sensible time! :P

Thanks again to everyone involved :notworthy:

Enjoyed this year more that any of the others I have done despite having a much larger room and more speakers than usual I found it more relaxing somehow. I had intended to do some demos, but as I was still taking measurements and soldering around midnight on Saturday it struck me that I should just enjoy the day, as it turned out no one asked about the demos anyhow. It was really nice to be able to swap round between speakers and during quieter moments we were able to listen to a tune on the ATC's, then my speakers and then the frugal horns XLs which was very enlightening.

I didn't really get round many rooms. I made a beeline for DF_Genius to listen to his Frugal horns as they had a different driver, they sounded great in that room where the bass got a bit more reinforcement from the wall. I also went to Robert and Tensons' room to have a listen to their AR tributes which I really liked, I could like with them very happily I think. I might build a pair as I've got some of the BMRs on the shelf here.......somewhere....

I bought my brother in law who is not an audiophile at all, he has got a very modest set up at home which works well but he's not selling his soul for it like the rest of us. He came mainly to give me a hand but wandered around the show all day with another mate of mine and really couldn't believe the breadth of stuff that was on offer.

This is a stunning show, I might just visit next year and see what all the fuss is about for myself :)

Stefan

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and Dom's big snells which I got to listen to on the Saturday evening quickly were really lovely, I can't fit those in my current house but am trying to buy another which I might just fit them in.....

+1 :^

• Lenco Heaven with the mad German horns, music not to my taste but amazing dynamics

Not sure that we can top those horns next year, but music in the room was varied as we had 4 decks and their owners records - you must have caught us at a bad moment. We do however play requests - if you get the chance, bring some of your own music next year, we would love to play it :)

Enjoyed this year more that any of the others I have done despite having a much larger room and more speakers than usual I found it more relaxing somehow. I had intended to do some demos, but as I was still taking measurements and soldering around midnight on Saturday it struck me that I should just enjoy the day, as it turned out no one asked about the demos anyhow. It was really nice to be able to swap round between speakers and during quieter moments we were able to listen to a tune on the ATC's, then my speakers and then the frugal horns XLs which was very enlightening.

I didn't really get round many rooms. I made a beeline for DF_Genius to listen to his Frugal horns as they had a different driver, they sounded great in that room where the bass got a bit more reinforcement from the wall. I also went to Robert and Tensons' room to have a listen to their AR tributes which I really liked, I could like with them very happily I think. I might build a pair as I've got some of the BMRs on the shelf here.......somewhere....

I bought my brother in law who is not an audiophile at all, he has got a very modest set up at home which works well but he's not selling his soul for it like the rest of us. He came mainly to give me a hand but wandered around the show all day with another mate of mine and really couldn't believe the breadth of stuff that was on offer.

This is a stunning show, I might just visit next year and see what all the fuss is about for myself :)

Stefan

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and Dom's big snells which I got to listen to on the Saturday evening quickly were really lovely, I can't fit those in my current house but am trying to buy another which I might just fit them in.....

Saw a pic of the Frugal horns which were the ones with the paper cone I believe. I'm just starting on my old build. How were they sounding on the day?

edit - could I know whose they were as well... looking for tips on the build.

JJ

Super Wammer

Not sure that we can top those horns next year, but music in the room was varied as we had 4 decks and their owners records - you must have caught us at a bad moment. We do however play requests - if you get the chance, bring some of your own music next year, we would love to play it :)

I should have said I was less familiar with the music, it was classical, 'Danse macabre' I believe. I was planning to work my way around again but missed it on the 2nd walk round. :D

Sounded great though, dynamics in particular were very impressive and well integrated for such a large setup.

Extra thanks to Ritchie, Pete and Mik for the Colman room, and also the German guys in the Lenco room ... without Scalford, I would probably never, ever, have heard a big horn system. For some unknown reason, my local dealers don't appear to stock such things ....

Saw a pic of the Frugal horns which were the ones with the paper cone I believe. I'm just starting on my old build. How were they sounding on the day?

edit - could I know whose they were as well... looking for tips on the build.

JJ

The ones with the paper Mark Audio alpair 10 drivers are mine. PM me if you want to know anything, happy to help.

Super Wammer
Extra thanks to Graham, Pete and Mik for the Colman room, and also the German guys in the Lenco room ... without Scalford, I would probably never, ever, have heard a big horn system. For some unknown reason, my local dealers don't appear to stock such things ....

This was just brilliant - so fantastic to listen to, and thank you for playing most of my African Head Charge LP late on Sunday, even though you had started dismantling the TTs...................now I need to work out how to get my hands on an SME TT!!

Oh and thanks to Jim and Mark for playing Faithless, at room shaking levels late on in the day..........that was amazing.......I know me and the Mrs were the only ones left in the room, but we left with a huge smile on our faces........

Extra thanks to Graham, Pete and Mik for the Colman room, and also the German guys in the Lenco room ... without Scalford, I would probably never, ever, have heard a big horn system. For some unknown reason, my local dealers don't appear to stock such things ....

It is peculiar. They'd fly out of the door. :D

This was just brilliant - so fantastic to listen to, and thank you for playing most of my African Head Charge LP late on Sunday, even though you had started dismantling the TTs...................now I need to work out how to get my hands on an SME TT!!

The African Head Charge was awesome, one of the highlights of the day for me. Thanks so much for bringing it!

I only found this forum recently and would have loved to attended this show - as a connoisseur of budget hifi I would love to hear what some of this really high end equipment sounds like.

I've seen the photos and must say it's great that members here are willing to haul their expensive and delicate hifi about for the benefit of others.

Next year for sure!