liffy99

Code of Practice for Scalford

I remember meeting you Martin, you came to Adam's when he was having a bake-off, must have been about 6 years back. If memory serves, you were picking up an OTL tube amp.

Well said. In all my years on the wam, I've only met a handful of fellow forum members in person (though I've got to know quite a few through regular exchanges of PMs). I really must get out and about more.

It's a great weekend out yoof.

As Steve said above, get involved and then the picture becomes perfectly clear. We're all, to a man, massive -----:^

In Sod's case that's 2 men.

This forum, as wonderful as it is, is like looking through the crack of a partially open door.

To get the whole glorious panoramic view, you have to participate.

Go to bake off, hold bake offs, go to Scalford, go Saturday and Sunday, exhibit at Scalford.

Because IME, what you put in = what you get back*

*thats not strictly true.

I've got back A LOT MORE than I'll ever manage to give.

This is so true! My first visit was to the 2012 show, I think. I was amazed by it then and wanted to be a part of it. Since then I have made a load of friends, some of which I have exhibited with now 3 times. My system as it is, simply wouldn't exist without forming these relationships and being involved in the team effort to get some of this frankly mad shit halfway across the country. Each year I go it gets better, not because of the sodding bits of HiFi but because of the people I have met and their enthusiasm. Best weekend of the year for me.

You're only cocky cos you're on the "Shag-yerself-thin Diet" :x

I tried that one myself.

Put on half a stone.

Super Mod
You're only cocky cos you're on the "Shag-yerself-thin Diet" :x

Jealousy is a terrible thing.

Super Wammer

I have one magnificent bicep... sigh... :D Its like the bloomin' Love Boat on here these days, and I'm Captain Stubing "spokesman for the American male impotence society" ...somewhat ironically in real life.

• Upvote 1

.... If memory serves, you were picking up an OTL tube amp.

Oops.

Better not go there. :nup:

Was it that (those) OTL amps, Martin? :whistle:

tumblr_mv64mpIcIk1qigaa4o1_250.gif

I remember meeting you Martin, you came to Adam's when he was having a bake-off, must have been about 6 years back. If memory serves, you were picking up an OTL tube amp.

Ah yes, I remember. I sort of gatecrashed the bake off to complete the deal with Adam. Didn't stay long, but I suppose it counts as a bake off attendance.

Can't remember who I met while I was there, but I do remember wishing I could have spent a bit more time listening to the system in the cellar.

Oops.

Better not go there. :nup:

Was it that (those) OTL amps, Martin? :whistle:

tumblr_mv64mpIcIk1qigaa4o1_250.gif

Yes, the very same. Got about 6 months of joy from them before one of them had a catastrophic transformer meltdown. I still have them - came close to getting the repairs done on several occasions, but my heart isn't in it any more. Really must move them on.

Nice amps, those.

They sounded nice, and for me always worked well. My scariest amp was the Mr Liang 845, which switched on with such a clunk I was always convinced I'd have about a 20% chance of getting an HT shock every time I went near it. I'd turn it on with gritted teeth. That sounded good as well though.

They sounded nice, and for me always worked well. My scariest amp was the Mr Liang 845, which switched on with such a clunk I was always convinced I'd have about a 20% chance of getting an HT shock every time I went near it. I'd turn it on with gritted teeth. That sounded good as well though.

The joys of valve amp ownership. I reckon the pros outweigh the cons, though am happy with solid state for now. Until the bug bites again, of course...

Super Wammer

The KT88 valve amp I designed back in the late 70s had solid state rectification, and to hold off the HT until the valves warmed up, I fitted a 30 second time delay circuit based on a high voltage triac. When that fired and applied the HT, the whole amp gave a 'whump' sound (not through the 'speakers) which was quite alarming for those not expecting it.

S

Check out the thread on AOS.:nerves:

Don't.

Visiting AOS is a stupid idea. Always.