Sign in to follow this  
liffy99

Code of Practice for Scalford

Scalford is NOTHING like that, there's no budget, no marketing staff, no exhibition crews setting up, just us showing off our kit. Yeg we love doing it and keep coming back.

S

I guess that is where the OP got a touch confused. Y'see, from the outside, everything is so professional. Audi not Lotus. You get there, you get greeted by nicely sweatshirted staff. You get a stunningly professional Show Guide. And.. then it's up to you. Do you rise to the challenge of talking to people and asking questions? Do you act like a window licker, plonking yourself in the best seat, and hand the serving staff your choice of musac? Or are you a natural, you pick the yellow winning raffle strip, the only attractive female (or if you bat for Bangladesh, male) follows you around with tears in their eyes...

Anyway, Scalford is an eye opener, no doubt. You'd expect, given the average age at the show that most could attune rapidly, but maybe we need a CoP for first time visitors. Maybe like on race tracks, I'd and others like me would wear a black cross on a yellow background to warn everyone..

Super Wammer
or if you bat for Bangladesh

The delightful thing about Scalford is that there is only one team and everyone that wants to gets to bat.

• Upvote 1

The delightful thing about Scalford is that there is only one team and everyone that wants to gets to bat.

Wow, if that doesn't bring in new business, nothing will.

I won't be able to throw my keys in the bowl as I'm travelling by train, but it all sounds deliciously filthy.

:)

Half of the problem is that it does not look like an amateur show. But that is because people with experience in various fields contribute at their own expense to make it work.

From the very early days, people who organise things for living helped with the organisation at no cost. The same applies to date. Every bit of the show is organised at effectively zero cost to the show.

If it was run on a professional basis, nobody would turn up, because tickets would probably need to be about £150 each.

Bear in mind that the 'professional' shows we attend (and for which we pay an entrance fee) charge the professional exhibitors a shed-load of money for their rooms. At Scalford, the exhibitors pay for the privelege.

Super Wammer

:D

I meant that exactly how I said it Martin - it's really great how everybody cooperates. My first time and I had no sense there was some CoP I needed to adhere to. It's just common sense and a large dose of camaraderie. Things that sometimes seem in short supply these days.

The whole point is that it's not like other shows. Think giant bake off.

If all the wrinkles were ironed out, it would probably be shit.

The foibles are what keeps it interesting.

a bit like driving an Italian sports car......

Bear in mind that the 'professional' shows we attend (and for which we pay an entrance fee) charge the professional exhibitors a shed-load of money for their rooms. At Scalford, the exhibitors pay for the privelege.

So the difference is that in one the exhibitors pay, and in the other, the exhibitors pay?

Tim :-)

This.

I ate in 2 posh restraunts this week

One had 2 michellin stars, superb food, polished atmosphere, designer interior blah....

The other a family run business, mum cooking with elder son, chaos in a way, but from which, can you guess, did we leave with the biggest smile.

As to C's of P, I hate them with a vengence worse than death.

When oh when are people going to celebrate individualism...The Pie show is the finest example of 50 men, allowed to be 50 men. It works, because we work. Leave it alone please!

The Wam's your mad relative sometimes crotchety, sometimes surreally funny, knowledgeable banterer, likes a good scotch and a pie. Tries not to wet itself.

In that sense its untameable.

I really must get to Scalford next year.

In my experience, events run by enthusiasts just for the love of it always have an edge. If nothing else, this thread has certainly emphasised the passion that drives the show.

My only fear is that meeting a lot of fellow wammers will reveal that they are mostly just like me - a terrifying prospect for all concerned :)

Troublingly, despite his double-Irish, I still understood what he meant... :?

Careful now....

The Wam's your mad relative sometimes crotchety, sometimes surreally funny, knowledgeable banterer, likes a good scotch and a pie. Tries not to wet itself.

In that sense its untameable.

I spend a lot of time trying not to wet myself. Never thought of it as evidence of untameability though.

I'm with you on the booze and pies.

My only fear is that meeting a lot of fellow wammers will reveal that they are mostly just like me - a terrifying prospect for all concerned :)

This forum, as wonderful as it is, is like looking through the crack of a partially open door.

To get the whole glorious panoramic view, you have to participate.

Go to bake off, hold bake offs, go to Scalford, go Saturday and Sunday, exhibit at Scalford.

Because IME, what you put in = what you get back*

*thats not strictly true.

I've got back A LOT MORE than I'll ever manage to give.

This forum, as wonderful as it is, is like looking through the crack of a partially open door.

To get the whole glorious panoramic view, you have to participate.

Go to bake off, hold bake offs, go to Scalford, go Saturday and Sunday, exhibit at Scalford.

Because IME, what you put in = what you get back*

*thats not strictly true.

I've got back A LOT MORE than I'll ever manage to give.

Well said. In all my years on the wam, I've only met a handful of fellow forum members in person (though I've got to know quite a few through regular exchanges of PMs). I really must get out and about more.