liffy99

2nd timer show thoughts . . .

Wow, second time to Scalford as a mere prowler and bowled over by the effort, dedication and enthusiasm shown by all the exhibitors and organisers. I even managed to find my way around the venue better this time (must be a way to better signpost, surely). Managed to fill the whole day (and a good few hours on the Saturday night) and repeated several visits to specific rooms in the afternoon. Things to improve ?

1) Signposting - it's not an easy venue to find your way around

2) Big board showing arrangements for drinks / food etc - I didn't realise the Saturday buffet stopped at 8pm

3) Message board so that people not staying at Scalford can share rides / taxis etc

4) Cheaper muffins !

5) Publish playlists after the show where possible so people can follow up some of those tracks they may have forgotten to write down (I'd be happy to collate these and distribute if people want to send me them - Belvoir room especially !

Had some real favourites at the show mind so here are my top 5 (in no particular order)

a) The big horns in the Colman from I_should_coco and Hayward. What can I say - totally surreal and different. Utterly unrealistic for most of us but just a showcase for what can be achieved. I would guess the turntables in the room alone would rival the cost of my house !

b) The Snells and VAD DAC in the Belvoir. I've always had a soft spot for Snell / Audionote speakers and this room showed them at their very best I thought. So musical, dynamic and lively. Rushed home to look at details of the DAC (described as "affordable" at the show) only to find it's £7k price matched the worth of my entire system. Ah well . . .

c) It Cost How Much and Oldius in Room 211 showing the Lentek amp and JBL 96 speakers. Affordable music playback for mere mortals - sublime sounds and a great music selection (I need that CD collection . . . ). Almost rivalled the Snells / VAD setup for me.

d) Syndicate 2 with Jerry and Fatmarley - driving some amazing DIY three ways with cheapo amplification and DAC. Room resonances aside how on earth did a low powered tranny amp drive those beasts so well? Made me rethink the need for megabuck systems (though I guess those external crossovers were not cheap to build). Would love to learn more of the speaker construction.

e) JVS and Brownellm's Bergmann / Modrwight / Acapella system. A bit of a wild card this one for me. Sometimes it sounded lovely, with such an unforced soundscape but at others seemed a bit disjointed. Were the speakers a little too far apart or just in too big a room ? Fascinating plasma tweeters mind.

Plenty of other noteworthys too (the Quad 57 array, refurbished Impulse HS2s especially) and a s a recent builder of a Raspberry Pi streamer I enjoyed that experience (though disliked the 'speakers). A couple of disappointments too alas, which I won't mention.

One thing I did find though was the volume levels a bit too high for my liking in some rooms, especially the small ones, which seemed to simply mask dynamics to my mind.

I've a few thoughts on an exhibitor and visitor "code of practice" which I've chucked into a separate thread.

Great show guys and the Park and Ride worked well.

Thanks Liffy. If you want to know more about the music I played then just pm me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Another list of things we need to change? 7 years in and everyone loves it as it is, but thanks.

• Upvote 1

To answer your points though:

Speak to Lionel who made all the signs himself, printed them at his cost, then stayed up till 2am walking the Hotel posting them up for YOUR benefit. Or speak to Richard, who created the show guides and maps, worked like a Trojan on the web-site, all at cost, then fell ill and was unable to attend the show. Maybe pop round ad let them know your ideas?

2) Big board showing arrangements for drinks / food etc - I didn't realise the Saturday buffet stopped at 8pm

We had several big A boards, and signs. Also there were lots of staff you could have asked. The ticket you were given for the Buffet also said 6 to 8pm on it. CLEARLY.

3) Message board so that people not staying at Scalford can share rides / taxis etc

THIS IS A MESSAGE BOARD>

The whole forum serves that very purpose.

4) Cheaper muffins !

Exhibiting this weekend cost me over £400.00.. Sorry if I didn't put on an accessible and enjoyable show for you.

5) Publish playlists after the show where possible so people can follow up some of those tracks they may have forgotten to write down (I'd be happy to collate these and distribute if people want to send me them - Belvoir room especially !

Playlists? WTF are you on about. IT's a show, no one has a list. We bring music and play what we feel like playing or what others ask us to play. FOR FUN.

• Upvote 1

How much were these pesky muffins.

Only £20.00 No idea what the issue was.

I felt a bit bad for this guy when I read the replies to his 'code of conduct'; I thought you'd all got him wrong.

I stand corrected.

Only £20.00 ...

Worth it for the smile on the face of the young lady who was selling them in the foyer ...

VB

Guest MJ.
To answer your points though:

Speak to Lionel who made all the signs himself, printed them at his cost, then stayed up till 2am walking the Hotel posting them up for YOUR benefit. Or speak to Richard, who created the show guides and maps, worked like a Trojan on the web-site, all at cost, then fell ill and was unable to attend the show. Maybe pop round ad let them know your ideas?

We had several big A boards, and signs. Also there were lots of staff you could have asked. The ticket you were given for the Buffet also said 6 to 8pm on it. CLEARLY.

THIS IS A MESSAGE BOARD>

The whole forum serves that very purpose.

4) Cheaper muffins !

Exhibiting this weekend cost me over £400.00.. Sorry if I didn't put on an accessible and enjoyable show for you.

Playlists? WTF are you on about. IT's a show, no one has a list. We bring music and play what we feel like playing or what others ask us to play. FOR FUN.

Shitty day Mr. Palmer ? :)

The muffins were actually very nice.

They must be loaded. :D

Where do these f####ng c##kw###les come from?

Somerset, so it seems.

Strange, as most SW wammers are somewhat more laid back.