Vinyl Art

Scalford 2016 - Photos

I thought Lawrence's actives were stunning. Really controlled but not in that dessicated way some seem to be. Subjectivist language apart, they drove the room really well with that sub. A bit disappointing really, I hate it when my expectations are not met :P

Super Mod

Not Foo they really make a difference

25865797812_1a3ec2aa96_c.jpg

Essential upgrade by Baz, on Flickr

Super Mod

That Raspberry box of tricks

25353794804_61319e4bcb_c.jpg

Pi by Baz, on Flickr

Super Wammer

yes they really do, an adequate selection

Not Foo they really make a difference

25865797812_1a3ec2aa96_c.jpg

Essential upgrade by Baz, on Flickr

Hi David, they are my speakers. I shared a room with Serge at Scalford, exhibiting my system with a back-up of Serge's Squeezebox Touch. The speakers were built by me and the designer, stewartwen, another Wammer. They are active and as such have no crossovers, amplification being provided externally by my dual mono power amps (2 x Musical Fidelity A3cr). We actually built 2 pairs and the other pair is with another Wammer. I'm not sure whether he still has them. Let me know if you want me to find out.

thamks for that - but I'm not in the market for buying just now, was just curious :)

I thought Lawrence's actives were stunning. Really controlled but not in that dessicated way some seem to be. Subjectivist language apart, they drove the room really well with that sub. A bit disappointing really, I hate it when my expectations are not met :P

Serge and I had to re-tune the sub when we first set up the system in our allotted room, obviously because it was working differently there compared to in my music room. We altered the crossover point, and also it sounded better when we reversed the phasing. This is the beauty of an active system; it affords such tremendous flexibility. Having 'gone active' and experienced the benefits, I can't understand why more people don't do this.

Super Wammer
what make / model are these speakers, please?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93875151@N07/25941925645/

I think they are Serge's home built units. Certainly sounded very good to my ears.
They are. :^
I liked them too - didn't realise that was Serge's room - sorry Serge, I very much wanted to meet you but only came to this room at the end when I had to go so just popped in and out briefly and felt bad for doing so.

Just to confirm, the 'speakers and CD player were entirely Lawrence's work. The 'speakers were to a Stewartwen design. My involvement was to give some help on the final assembly of the CD player and to help set up the active crossovers. I lent my Squeezebox and music library for the show so we had some continuous tunes and as a backup in case of CD player failure.

I thought the loudspeakers were pretty damn good when we set them up at Lawrence's new home, and suggested we show them at Scalford, together with his rather epic CD player.

As Lawrence said, the sub setting needed to be tweaked for the different listening room, which at Scalford had two dimensions, height and width pretty near identical, so we have to make sure the sub didn't accentuate the inevitable boom that resulted. It turned out pretty well considering.

Active three-ways next.........

S.

Bloody amateurs with your photos of hi fi and foo, here is what the show is all about:

25357848594_031b4b59e4_z.jpg

Magnificent...

So that's what a Shakti stone looks like in the middle

Super Wammer

Serge and I had to re-tune the sub when we first set up the system in our allotted room, obviously because it was working differently there compared to in my music room. We altered the crossover point, and also it sounded better when we reversed the phasing. This is the beauty of an active system; it affords such tremendous flexibility. Having 'gone active' and experienced the benefits, I can't understand why more people don't do this.

I can Lawrence, most folk's idea of actives starts with M and ends with N, and nowt wrong there. But most folk don't have the knowledge, equipment, skill or patience to take active speakers to the level you and Serge did and pull it off so well. The system sounded very full and powerful but balanced - adequate indeed! I noticed unlike a lot of smaller rooms you had the speakers pulled a long way out into the room, and although very different systems I thought there were similarities with JVS and Browellm's system - both had a good sense of scale and ease.

I heard probably fewer than half the rooms and towards the end of the day I was getting aural fatigue, not to mention sore feet. Some rooms were definitely too loud, but very few seemed actually out of balance as opposed to the room being overdriven. I was surprised at the overall high standard of sound at the show, particularly from some of the smaller rooms. Your system was simply one where questions of balance and room positioning didn't arise. Sorry if that sounds like a back-handed compliment but I suspect that's what you were probably trying to achieve and it certainly seemed to give the system a relaxed quality which made listening very pleasant. I was certainly impressed.

A few more pics. this time of more dubious quality.

I took these in my 1 hour lunch break away from my exhibitors room , with many thanks to Peter -' Petrat' for room sitting for me.

DSCF3290_zpsvnvnhbfs.jpg

A very relaxed looking Craig in front of his lovely Yams.

I'm not sure if that photo is beautiful or tragic. :mrgreen:

Jim. JVS