Sign in to follow this  
gintonic

Thank you to all exhibitors and organisers

Late addition to this thread, I had a busy few days, and until Friday I didn't know if I would make it. I have attended every show so far, and I am damn glad I got to this one as well.

Genuine and heartfelt thanks to everyone who organised, exhibited, and staffed the show, it was the same great vibe as ever and as usual threw up some real surprises.

Park and Ride worked faultlessly, and the Pavilion was a definite win.

Thanks to the people whose systems I got to appreciate, and apologies to those I missed out on due to time. There were so many systems where I felt I could have just listened all day, I suppose I spent too long in some rooms to allow me to get to them all.....

I know I didn't leave too early, as my car looked awful lonely when I got back to it in the evening!

1lz4p.jpg

Again a late writeup, but some of the things I enjoyed/found interesting:

The social aspect. Having met a few more people helps, but catching up with people makes the day a lot more enjoyable.

Serge/bi-amp2 - definitely more than adequate sound.

The Lenco people, for the effort to get that lot over here and for the sheer wow factor of the kit as much as anything else.

Lodgesound - again, nowhere else are you going to find stuff like that at a show.

Mentioned already, but the Aleph clones in Ed and Ian's rooms were very impressive.

Sharif's (Audioflyer) setup was very good for the outlay.

The big horn setup in Colman, the best integration of a multiway horn I have heard (although that isn't a lot), given how the settings need to evolve over time for that sort of setup it shows what can be done. Shame I missed the classical that other people have referred to.

Dom's Snells were sounding very good with Leftfield, the ancilliaries were given a chance to shine.

The IPL speakers seemed very good value (if they were overdriving the room at the volume set), but I think make even more sense as a kit rather than ready built.

Another one mentioned before was the PiAmp setup, but for what it cost the results were very enjoyable. It makes me think about bringing my mancave Pi based system along one year.

The Salient/Chevron room - remarkable results given what the speakers started out as.

Steve 57's setup - showed what that sort of setup can do with good design.

There seems to be an overall theme that the rooms that stick in my mind are the ones where people have got more involved than just buying something, which is probably what sets the show apart from the other trade shows.

Oh yes, the pavillion was a good idea and the park and ride worked.

Edit: should mention the Impulse Ta'us as well, very natural sounding.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I didn't attend Scalford :( . So what, you may well wonder, am I posting on this thread for? Well ...

My reason for not turning up is that I'd only just signed up a few days before the event, c'est la vie. Being the way I am I've been spending time wandering around the forum trying to get a feel of things. Perhaps sussing out the 'Spirit of the Wam', to put it another way. I guess it'll take me a while to do that :dunno: . The main thing that has struck me so far is how well such a large group of peeps, with different opinions, manage to get along without too much drama.

The fact that so many people have given freely of their time (and wonga), to make Scalford work, is remarkable in itself. Unlike a trade show, the only reason behind it all is to allow enthusiasts to see, listen to, and discuss a huge variety of equipment. That and the opportunity to hit the bar ;-) . The reward for all this? Nada ... other than the satisfaction of having helped to make someone's day.

It's a rare thing these days for me to have a little bit of my faith in human nature restored, but that's he way it is. For that guys, you have my thanks :notworthy: .

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
That and the opportunity to hit the bar ;-) .
there was a bar? :(

there was a bar? :(

In Syndicate room 23 I believe. ;-)

In Syndicate room 23 I believe. ;-)

Aye!

4. Jampal for such a slim footprint who'd have thought the Triangles could rattle the light fittings . This room is a difficult one to get right and Jim did a good job

I was fasciated by the sound of those speakers the crisp , snap , click , clap noises from the electronica James was playing was superb , really tight .

. The main thing that has struck me so far is how well such a large group of peeps, with different opinions, manage to get along without too much drama.

The show is nothing like the forum , its an incredibly friendly atmosphere particulary between exhibitors , no one-up manship or willy waving , despite the size of some people's horns :D

Veracity Audio’s: CD player into a VAD DAC / amp ? / Snells. Really enjoyed these. Apparently the CD player was only playing 16 bit, yet I thought only lossless files were supposed to be needed to provide good digital sound. Evidently not!

:^

Hi Keith Thanks for coming to our Veracity room. Gregor explains: ''The system: All the music files were lossless. CD Audio music (16bit/44.1kHz) from CD transport into our new Veracity DAC. The DAC was the real source of the sound. DAC was decoding the CD Audio in quad mono, Non Oversampling Mode. For HiRez flac PCM files and DSD 64/128 we used a usb connection from the laptop running JRiver MC21 in ASIO Direct mode into the DAC. DAC analogue outputs were connected directly to Allnic T1500 SET 300B amplifier and subsequently amp outputs into two way speakers handmade to specification of Snell E design. All our cables were in house handmade by me (Gregor) mostly solid silver mono-cores shielded in copper ribbon and kapton/teflon insulated''

Super Wammer
All our cables were in house handmade by me (Gregor) mostly solid silver mono-cores shielded in copper ribbon and kapton/teflon insulated''

careful Rudy will get all excited

Super Wammer

Apologies for this late post.

First, my thanks and congratulations to everyone involved in organising the show - the innovations of the Pavillion and P&R seem to have gone well. The show (at least on the surface) ran very well again this year. Also thanks to all the volunteers around badges, pies, signs, front desk etc. etc. Also to the hotel - they do a great job and are very friendly and polite in what must be quite a tough weekend for them.

Second, a big thanks and congratulations to those involved in organising and contributing to the charity activities - a fantastic contribution to those charities this year. Amazing.

And, of course, a big thanks to those who give up their time, cash and risk their systems to exhibit.

Finally, what a great bunch of folks Wammers are when they get together at Scalford. There's a really good atmosphere over the weekend, all are friendly and helpful. Brilliant.

Now to the systems. As I was helping out in a room, I didn't get round everything, so this is my "best of" from what I managed to hear:

SCIDB - pacey, rhythmic, great fun. The AVID was playing when I was in the room. If anyone wonders what good PRaT sounds like, this is it.

Barney's Dad - really enjoyed this system which has great imaging (from the very small sweet spot), lots of delicacy and flow - enjoyed it most without the sub, when there was still oodles of bass

Harv and Navi - heard in its original format with Harv's power amps on Saturday night - joint room of the show for me - full range, great imaging, musical, punch, delicacy.

Gromit - does it again getting big sound from tiny boxes. Nice to see some Cyrus appreciation going on.

Edd9000 - effortless sound that worked so much better in the bigger room this year

jhud - transparent, smooth, clutter free kind of sound, very nice. Tiny Hypex monoblocks a bit of a revelation

Htm_1968, Marverick and 68Rednose - heard with the Meridian 506.24 CDP. Great sound - dynamic, detailed, musical, not at all forced or aggressive. Joint sound of the show with Harv. Great combination of kit.

onlyconnect - Top VFM!

willardfan - nice sound from a very simple set up. Very high on partner acceptability factor. (although I might be a bit biased about this room!)

RobHolt - nice speaker build. Could probably teach Naim a thing or two about BMRs (but too late as Naim have given up on speakers now)

Looper - nicely integrated sound from DIY build speakers. Clearly a lot of thought has gone into getting those drivers to work together

Salient and Chevron - nice updates to the NS10M (not much of the originals left really!). Very professional display about the project

Steve 57 - great detailed but easy to listen to sound, amazing from such big speakers in such a small room. First open baffles I've enjoyed (see, its always worth a listen, even if you think the tech / brand involved is not normally your thing)

This is the longest list of enjoyed systems I've done for Scalford - clearly the show and the sounds are going from strength to strength.

Oh, and top Wamming to whoever loaned Harv a pair of top quality power amps in the early hours of Sunday. Fantastic!

Super Wammer

Oh, and top Wamming to whoever loaned Harv a pair of top quality power amps in the early hours of Sunday. Fantastic!

That would be me and I enjoyed every minute of it and especially the part where there was a pop and the sound just stopped coming out of my amps shortly after arriving and having got them all set up. Harv's face fell and he had a mini heart attack. It was just my laptop that was streaming the music and the battery had run out.

I also got to meet Steve (Barneys Dad) who turns out to be an almost but not quite neighbour.

• Upvote 1

I had a great time, many thanks to all the visitors. Anthony, whose efforts in making it a great show were obvious and really successful, top job. To all the exhibitors, every room I heard was great, and the equipment was stunning. The Coleman crew

deserve a special mention, every room takes effort, but the effort taken to put that system together was gargantuan, and the

results were spectacular.

Massive thanks to Bandit pilot and Jess, sharing just made the whole show so much better, and the company was great.

Likewise mate, it was a pleasure to spend the weekend with you and yours.

Sorry it's taken too long to reply. It's been a hell of a week getting back into work mode after a gargantuan amount of alcohol consumption considering I don't drink.:doh:

I'd like to add my thanks to al who organised and exhibited, it's a truly unique event that I could do for as long as I live.

Thanks also to the visitors that make all the effort worthwhile.

Fantastic atmosphere as always, and looking forward to the next one.

Can I book for next year yet?