Sign in to follow this  
gintonic

Thank you to all exhibitors and organisers

I would firstly like to say a big thank you to all the organisers and exhibitors. It was a superb and varied day: listening to lots of unheard of before equipment and great to see some of my last years favourites back again. Off to ebay and amazon in a bit to see if I can find any of my new album wish-list!

I thought the afternoon seemed less busy than usual, so maybe a huge success for the park and ride? Though for some reason, I got round far less than in the last two years - guess I spend more time listening, chatting and drinking. It seemed a far more relaxed way of doing things though :)

Firm favourite systems:

- Dom's: Garrard 401 / IO / Modwright / Snells A’s

- Oldius: Teac / Audio Synthesis DAC / Lentek / JBL L96s

- Df_genuius heavily diy influenced set up. Lenco / Audiomods / Ortofon ? / & FrugalHorn XLs, plus some larger DIY speakers I really enjoyed and must look up

- Veracity Audio’s: CD player into a VAD DAC / amp ? / Snells. Really enjoyed these. Apparently the CD player was only playing 16 bit, yet I thought only lossless files were supposed to be needed to provide good digital sound. Evidently not!

- Lenco’s and Cinema horn speakers (and top marks for the guys bringing them all the way from Berlin)

- Crimson donkey / bolts. Wonderful turntable (guessing an Acoustic Solid ?) / Leben / Ta’us horns

Even though it’s impossible to identify any one component in a system, I really enjoyed the following and would like to hear more of the following again at some point in the future:

- Rick's: AE2 speakers:

- Orangeharts : 3 way DIY design speakers

- The Benesch Orators sounded as goods as last year

Looking forward to next year, and long may it continue.

:) :) :)

:^

• Upvote 1

........would like to hear more of the following again at some point in the future.

- Orangeharts : 3 way DIY design speakers

You are more than welcome to come and have a listen to my active 3 ways whenever you want, as are any of you. Or my other speakers for that matter. Any excuse for a skive/beer/cuppa and cake :)

Not really got room for a bake off type thing here but individuals are always more than welcome. Trying to get a bigger house so I can get a listening room for guests to come more.

Stefan

Home and knackered. System is still in the boxes.

Was a wonderful weekend as always, massive thanks to Anthony, it was by far the best organised show we've had and if that's his first crack at it, it can only get better! Looking forward to my first visit as a general punter next year.

Thanks to everyone that made it happen and a big thanks to the Mod team for my gift. Got a bit emotional there.

You were proper welling up mate, it was hard to watch (without doing an inner fist punch ;) ) Much deserved for your inspiration and hard bloody work to get us here.

Nice job Ant and crew, and thanks for letting me take over the raffle - I think! You were fretting too much but that's because you care and wanted it to go well for everyone else so thank you for being so selfless. It went really really well so well done:^

From an exhibiting point of view I need to thank Ben (Bolts) who co-exhibited with me this year - we had a great time, but I was a lousy partner on Sunday morning having to whizz around getting stuff done for the raffle. So nice to have a chilled co-pilot with great taste in music and sorry I hogged the TT Saturday night.

Thanks for all the people who popped in on Saturday night to see us, it was great to have the pleasure of your company until the small hours - it was a real highlight that I'll remember for a long time (the bits I can remember...)

I didn't catch many room this year, but much respect to all those who dragged their kit out at their own expense and shared it with the rest of us.

Thanks to everyone who helped get our kit out and put it back again too.

Just thanks to everyone really :^

• Upvote 1

Another great show and great shows don't just happen. Plenty of time and effort by the organisers and exhibitors is appreciated by plenty of folk like me who just turn up scoff a pie or two and enjoy the day. The new site owner has done really well and kept up the tradition of throwing a great party because that's what it feels like.

As for the standard of exhibits well it was quite amazing how some of the exhibitors managed to get a decent sound out of the less than ideal rooms in many cases. One chap even had his speakers firing at the wall and it sounded good.

I think I'm learning at the show by if I enter a room and they are playing something that is not to my taste then I leave and return later when there's something I like the sound of. I did this with a few rooms and were rewarded by hearing some great sounds on a return visit or two.

Some of the rooms I particularly enjoyed in no particular order where:

The Liberace type turntable and those triangle speakers in the Rutland room where pretty special. Heard some good new music Jon Hopkins. The Led Zep sounded awesome.

Similarly I heard some Led Zep in the Private Dining room through some bloody great big electrostatics and a sub. Who said electrostatics don't party hasn't heard this set up. Some other good sounds and interesting comments about a Beatles record.

Dean as usual played some cracking sounds but there was competition this year in the shape of ICHM and Oldius. I was about to enter a room down the corridor when I heard some James Brown. The JBL's were pumping out some real music in there and a few interesting ones that someone brought in followed by some complimentary music suggested by Bob.

Not sure which room I heard the Indianna in. It could have been one of the above but I liked it.

Lovely to chill out in the lounge with a pork pie and the giant reel to reel system.

A few large speakers in attendance. The Coleman room I think. Humongous but effortless horn type jobs. How the hell they transported them will remain a mystery, a bit like the building of the Pyramids.

Heard Van Morrison Moondance album [Vinyl] in Room 233 through a make of speaker that usually sound horrible at the Bristol Show. They didn't here though. Sublime. The acoustic guitars and the general mix of this album was what I really liked. You could hear everything and it made sense. Other music was played and sounded equally good but I do have a spot for the Moondance album, it being my favourite of Van's..

A fair bit of vintage stuff about. The Gun room had a sound I could gladly live with. Some vintage JVC and an interesting looking speaker set up that sounded great with whatever was thrown at it.

The Cottesmore had some great big speakers that sounded good when I heard something that was to my taste. There was all sorts played in there from Classical to jazz and some other odds and sods.

Heard a few Yamaha NS 1000's about and they sounded like well sorted setups.

It really is a bit of a rush to get around all rooms and do them the justice that they deserve. Perhaps a trip down the night before is the best bet.

Apologies if I've missed any out as there were many more that deserved a mention in dispatches but I need some shut eye now.

Cheers to all concerned your efforts are appreciated.

The Wam is truely unique in many ways.

I shared the room with Olan (htm_1968) and Paul (Maverick) who I both never met before.

We worked as a team as if we're doing hifi shows for years.

Thanks guys, for making it a weekend of great fun!

A big thank you to Anthony for the excellent organisation.

And the visitors that enjoyed our system, making it a fun day for us and worthwhile to have made all the efforts.

Looking forward for 2017!

The Cottesmore had some great big speakers that sounded good when I heard something that was to my taste. There was all sorts played in there from Classical to jazz and some other odds and sods.

It's always hard when you know people will only be in your room for a track or two. I try to play a little of everything and anything a guest asks for, including nearly 20mins of Wagner. Something which I never play at home, but may have to in future, it was rather eye opening.

Thanks Pete and Keith for the comments. We did get down with our bad selves more than once!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks Pete for the comments, glad you enjoyed the Van.

Many thanks to everyone involved in making this show such a great event.

Super Wammer
The Wam is truely unique in many ways.

I shared the room with Olan (htm_1968) and Paul (Maverick) who I both never met before.

We worked as a team as if we're doing hifi shows for years.

Thanks guys, for making it a weekend of great fun!

A big thank you to Anthony for the excellent organisation.

And the visitors that enjoyed our system, making it a fun day for us and worthwhile to have made all the efforts.

Looking forward for 2017!

cheers mate, I had a blast - just don't forget what time it is!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

generally nice comments from visitors, even for my very modest TT

Saturday night was a major blast with every wammer who joined us

Anthony; it has all been said on here already - but as someone who has organised several very large events I totally empathise with the induced stress level, despite what it felt like to you it worked like clockwork mate, a totally top job so bloody well done

First time, absolutely superb experience. Loved the ear-blowing variety, from bi-amp2's superbly balanced and clear system playing in a shoe-box room to those barn-door sized Quad 2905's to the very modern looking and room filling Aurelias... Thanks to all the organisers & exhibitors, respect is due...

Thanks, Sean, for your comments. Your post encapsulates what I have been trying to achieve... a flat frequency response and clarity. Oh, yes, and 3-dimensionality. I'm glad you enjoyed the system.

I have had some invaluable help from wammers en route: stewartwen (who showed me how to go active, serviced my t'table, re-wired the arm and still advises me on a host of topics), reddish75 (who greatly assisted with my CD project and souped-up my power amps) and serge (who helped me completed my CD project, fettles stuff, is an absolute gold mine of information and advice, and who suggested that we exhibit jointly at Scalford this year). Thanks to these brilliant people.

Another great show and great shows don't just happen. Plenty of time and effort by the organisers and exhibitors is appreciated by plenty of folk like me who just turn up scoff a pie or two and enjoy the day. The new site owner has done really well and kept up the tradition of throwing a great party because that's what it feels like.

As for the standard of exhibits well it was quite amazing how some of the exhibitors managed to get a decent sound out of the less than ideal rooms in many cases. One chap even had his speakers firing at the wall and it sounded good.

I think I'm learning at the show by if I enter a room and they are playing something that is not to my taste then I leave and return later when there's something I like the sound of. I did this with a few rooms and were rewarded by hearing some great sounds on a return visit or two.

Some of the rooms I particularly enjoyed in no particular order where:

The Liberace type turntable and those triangle speakers in the Rutland room where pretty special. Heard some good new music Jon Hopkins. The Led Zep sounded awesome.

Similarly I heard some Led Zep in the Private Dining room through some bloody great big electrostatics and a sub. Who said electrostatics don't party hasn't heard this set up. Some other good sounds and interesting comments about a Beatles record.

Dean as usual played some cracking sounds but there was competition this year in the shape of ICHM and Oldius. I was about to enter a room down the corridor when I heard some James Brown. The JBL's were pumping out some real music in there and a few interesting ones that someone brought in followed by some complimentary music suggested by Bob.

Not sure which room I heard the Indianna in. It could have been one of the above but I liked it.

Lovely to chill out in the lounge with a pork pie and the giant reel to reel system.

A few large speakers in attendance. The Coleman room I think. Humongous but effortless horn type jobs. How the hell they transported them will remain a mystery, a bit like the building of the Pyramids.

Heard Van Morrison Moondance album [Vinyl] in Room 233 through a make of speaker that usually sound horrible at the Bristol Show. They didn't here though. Sublime. The acoustic guitars and the general mix of this album was what I really liked. You could hear everything and it made sense. Other music was played and sounded equally good but I do have a spot for the Moondance album, it being my favourite of Van's..

A fair bit of vintage stuff about. The Gun room had a sound I could gladly live with. Some vintage JVC and an interesting looking speaker set up that sounded great with whatever was thrown at it.

Heard a few Yamaha NS 1000's about and they sounded like well sorted setups.

It really is a bit of a rush to get around all rooms and do them the justice that they deserve. Perhaps a trip down the night before is the best bet.

Apologies if I've missed any out as there were many more that deserved a mention in dispatches but I need some shut eye now.

Cheers to all concerned your efforts are appreciated.

I hope mine was one of them. :D

Had a great time at Scalford over (my birthday) weekend, Colin and I continued on a theme of Activating Yamaha speakers with a pair of modified NS10M's and a B&W sub this year, after last year bringing the NS1000M's that had been through a similar transformation.

Many thanks to eveyone who came and had a llisten, and for all of the positive comment from folk. Many people really 'got it' and were even seen to be reading the pop up graphics showing a bit of NS10 history, and looking at some pics (graphs too, can't go wrong with a graph) of the modification process.

Mostly though, my lasting memories of the event (6th show, 2nd exibiting) will be the spirit of the thing. Massive effort goes into this from many corners and it shows in many ways, I'm sure the Scalford hotel team are energised by the show too, so a big thank you to them too. The raffle encapsulated it best I thought, pitch perfect MC'ing from Crimson Donkey :notworthy:.

Can't wait to do it all again next year, and, like most who were exhibiting, I now have a big pile of boxes and cables in the front room to sort out at some point. Never mind eh, there's a long weekend coming up?

Thanks very much for organising such a terrific event guys. Respect.

• Upvote 1

After missing the last 2 (I think) shows I was set to miss this one too but changed plans at the eleventh hour and came up from Kent with occasional Wammer Greyfox. So glad we did, what a great show, there's never a duff system at Scalford but boy there were some great sounds this year. Before mentioning a few standout rooms it would be rude not to thank everyone involved with the arrangements and the efforts of the exhibitors. I thought the Pavillion and the Park and Ride were massive pluses. Also despite it being very busy we managed to see 90% of the rooms in 6 and a half hours. I took along one of favourite albums of last year, Matador by Gaz Coombs and one of my favourite tracks, The Room Got Heavy by Yo La Tengo and mainly tried them out in rooms that piqued my interest in my search for stand mount speakers that tick all my boxes.

Highlights for me:

Gromit - nobody excels at getting great sounds from budget and mid-priced kit like Gromit, every show I've been to his room has been a highlight. Those Q Acoustic speakers are an absolute bargain.

Baggawire - I just loved those NS1000 driven by the Modwright amp, I could have spent a long time in that room.

hearingisbelieving - the Audionote amp and T&A speaker combo was absolutely lovely another room I could have spent much more time in.

Nagraboy - I've always been impressed by Harbeth P3s but I don't think I've heard them any sweeter than with that Leben amp. Apart from missing the lower octaves they handled The Room Got Heavy (a very busy track) with absolute aplomb. We probably stayed in that room longer than any other.

rmsshipbroker - those Audionote Es, not just a speaker bit a lovely bit of furniture too, that finish is stunning. The room sounded great too, if I ever went over to valves I'd like one of those Oto SEs.

Steve57 - loved those speakers, they sounded so clear but without a hint of harshness, they must be great to live with.

Puresound/Russ Abbott - although far from perfect positioning I thought the Hegel Direkts were really promising and I loved the styling in the flesh, would love to hear them in a 'sorted' system.

Finally because I'm writing this in my lunch hour and I haven't got the show guide, I can't remember the chaps name. He was showing some floorstanders with a yellow bass cone and a ribbon tweeter. That system really brought out the vocal in 'The Room Got Heavy' like I've never heard it before. In all other systems, including my own, the vocal isn't prominent, it's almost like someone talking/whispering at the back of the track. In this system it was still behind the music but much more prominent, it heightened my enjoyment of the track.

I've probably missed a few out but hats off to everyone and thanks again.

Cheers BB

• Upvote 1

A huge huge THANK YOU to all the organisers and the exhibitors and the hotel staff for this years show.

The show, for me anyway, seems to get better year after year with each tweak made. Every year I attend i meet new faces and old ones and always learn something new to take away with me.

This year I'm the proud owner of some Castle Howard S1 speakers from the raffle draw. They were covered in bubble wrap and had trolley wheels on when I first seen them. :nerves: I unwrapped them today and they look like an ugly child only a mother could love. :love: I wired and fired them up and was gob smacked, boy these things can sing, I'm well chuffed and would like to thank the person who donated them for putting up such a great prize for a great cause. The only thing that I have ever won in a raffle was a bottle of shampoo. (yes I'm one of the few who still has hair)

I would also like to thank Crimson donkey and I think it was Jampal who after only just managing to sit down, I came along looking for my prize speakers in the pavilion only to find the pavilion empty and the lights out. They both went into overdrive and located them for me.

Again a big thank you guys and what a great show. :notworthy:

Des.

ps. I might exhibit them next year!

IMG_1246_zps2xkwq8w5.jpg

IMG_1250_zpsjcggxgvu.jpg

Finally because I'm writing this in my lunch hour and I haven't got the show guide, I can't remember the chaps name. He was showing some floorstanders with a yellow bass cone and a ribbon tweeter. That system really brought out the vocal in 'The Room Got Heavy' like I've never heard it before. In all other systems, including my own, the vocal isn't prominent, it's almost like someone talking/whispering at the back of the track. In this system it was still behind the music but much more prominent, it heightened my enjoyment of the track.

Possibly IPL Acoustics speakers?

http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/IPL%20HI%20FI%20&AV.htm

Tim