MCRU

Styl:us Vinyl Show 2016 23-24th April

I think you must be mistaken, it's "spectacular".

Owner of Royd Apex speakers so what do I know?

Could you say which is the Pentangle LP that they played?

Their eponymous debut album from 1968. Never heard of it/them before but will be looking out for it now - probably along with the rest of those in the room!

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

I have no idea what change does it make or even if it really works. But it has to be said, this was the only room where the sound was completely separated form the speakers.

More here: http://www.acusticaapplicata.com/polifemo.php

Reading the guff it seems to work by being a sound box with a hole (like the body of a cello or double bass) that resonates at a specific low frequency that is a problem in a particular room- presumably to cancel a boom in some way. I can see how it might work but doubt it would be much use in most far from ideal domestic listening spaces.

Where would you put it anyway? It would never pass the wife test! Could it have a dual purpose? Suggestions on a postcard...

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Spent a couple of hours there on Saturday . Bit disappointed with the small number of exhibitors. The AN room was sounding very nice. The Notts Analogue TT with the foo props was a nice sounding room - it was amusing when my Mrs pointed out that his brand new just out of the box demo ultrasonic cleaning machine was leaking, and he tried to cover it up, whilst whispering to his sidekick, that he didn't think it'd last the day.

The music first (I think) preamp sounded nice. The Larson speakers didn't have enough oomph to fill the room, but the ClearAudio decks in that room were impressive.

Spent too much money on vinyl, and on the way back stopped off at HMV on Oxford Street and spent more.

Great gig really enjoyed thanks to all who came it will be bigger and better next year had a really nice buzz it now to unpack...

Super Dealer
Was hoping to go, but can't make it.

Does anyone know what show discount was being given on the Audiodesksysteme Pro record cleaners?

None!

They were on the next stand to me, I was so impressed at them I signed up to be a dealer for it!

- - - Updated - - -

It was a new show, it will take time to grow, next year will have more exhibitors as the hotel is massive and can

easily take double the amount of exhibitors.

It was a fantastic show I thought.

Have to Agree Dave i also have a Audiodesk and have used it personaly for over a year i also sell them they are superb... it was also good to catchup and i look forward to working together in the future ... best regards Mark & Jan

Super Dealer
Have to Agree Dave i also have a Audiodesk and have used it personaly for over a year i also sell them they are superb... it was also good to catchup and i look forward to working together in the future ... best regards Mark & Jan

Did you take any piccies of your room chief?

Did not get chance for a listen.

Alan Sircom has put up a short blog on the Styl:us Show at HiFi+ http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/stylus-show-2016/

i think this should work a few of the highlights iframe>

Was hoping to go, but can't make it.

Does anyone know what show discount was being given on the Audiodesksysteme Pro record cleaners?

Yes one of the rooms had show discounts, and sold one of the ones he had on display for slightly less than the show discounted price.

We just Received this wonderful compliment from Hi Fi Reviewer Chris Ward who attended our Music room @ Styl'us 2016...

Hi Mark,

Just a quick note to say how impressed I was with the sound of your room at the Stylus show. Absolutely spot on, and for me the best sound of the show. I know sound engineering is in your blood, but credit where credit’s due, you nailed it !

Super Wammer
Ah, here we go...

http://www.audioconsultants.co.uk/room-acoustics-treaments.html

To quote what he says on the page...

"the effect on the sound is nothing less than spectacular"

"I have to say that this device has made the biggest difference to my system of any I have tried to date, whether cables, valves, plugs, even the DAAD’s themselves. The improvement it brings about is profound and transformative. This has to be the best value improvement it is possible to make to any high level system. Absolutely incredible. Thank you for the opportunity to audition – and to buy - it". DM Oxfordshire.

I wonder if DM is a member here or even if he actually exists?

Did this object make a "spectacular change"?

Well it is a helmholz resonator. I don't know what the wooden bit in the middle does though. In order to be effective in the bass it needs to be pretty big.

Helmholz resonators work exactly like "crankshaft dampers" in that they change room modes. Ideally it would be placed at the antinode of the mode needing to be suppressed and then tuned to the correct frequency. Helmolz resonators are very effective at suppressing a mode if correctly positioned and tuned.

OTOH they are not very living-room friendly, though they have had a go at using wood and stuff, they are usually much uglier than this.

It is not foo at all and works on sound engineering principles. That makes a refreshing

change from most of the expensive junk being peddled in the hifi business.