mudds

New Rega Planar 3 for 2016

Good evening fellow Wammers,

I currently own a Rega RP1 purchased last November for my return to vinyl after 25 years. I'm currently looking around for upgrades around the 600-700 mark having been bitten by the vinyl bug again.

My question is this, has anyone got their ears in front of the new Planar 3 for 2016? Is it worth the outlay (I would plump for a cartridge package) or would you suggest alternatives (possibly the outgoing RP3 if its reduced?) I must admit to being a fan of the Rega ideology. I also have a soft spot for the Townshend Rock but it would be a pretty basic setup for my budget and I have never listened to one (although I hope to change that tomorrow Iain... hint hint)

When is the Planar 3 officially available? Would like to have a listen!

Well thats me for now... Thanks in advance

Mark

what cartridge are you using on your RP1? Getting a better one may be an improvement on a stock RP3 anyway.

£600 should get you a secondhand pink triangle LPT and something like a 2M bronze.

what cartridge are you using on your RP1? Getting a better one may be an improvement on a stock RP3 anyway.

Just the standard rega cart. I've committed to sell it now. I have a dual cs 5000 with an AT95 doing the honours at the moment which is nice but I want something with a better arm.

- - - Updated - - -

Again I've never heard a pink triangle but I'll be looking out for them. If you see anything that looks promising please don't hesitate to drop me a line.

Townshend Rock mate.

Is your budget to include TT, arm and cartridge?

Hi Iain. Yes it would be although I could go without the cart and put something basic on whilst sourcing some more funds.

Super Wammer

Hi muddy, good Easter monday holiday. Just a modest opinion, and if you is a big Rega fan ideology ( Im a Rega fan too for over 30 years ), i suggest that you looking for older legendary models, like P5 with RB700 arm, the colossal and pretty P9 with superb RB1000 (still quite expensive in second hand market) or why not try the older Planar 3 if you not spend lots of money, etc. Rega still a great brand these days with still Roy Ghandy as CEO. at the same time have a great value in market, despite the models aparentlly quite simple, everyones likes Rega, but you have many options in turntables, depends of your budget of course, i can give a few options a bit more expensive, but, in my view don't make sense. The new Rega Planar 3 still the same peculiar philosophy I presume, a few cosmetics things, a ''new armboard'' could bring a bit sound improve, not to much I think. My opinion on analogue world, the key is always the type of cartridge and phono stage, that you choose for your turntable.

You can find in classifieds a big products, and at the moment you can find a superb turntable, Nothingham Analogue...

You can borrow my spare Townshend Rock if you have a cartridge to fit to it.

You will not a find a s/h P9 for £700. Your chances if finding a s/h Oracle Delphi at that price are pretty much nil too.

Failing something remarkable turning up s/h (although a decent LP12 or Gyro should be available at your price), I'd go for the P3. It's a long way away from the MDF block I remember so fondly, and if they're doing a cart deal it could be great vfm.

Thanks all, looks like I'll be picking up the As new RP3 from Mark at VP tomorrow with the TT PSU so that should give me a step up (with a couple of small tweaks of course :) )