graham67

Pioneer Owners Club

Thought some of you might like to see some pics of this monstrous pioneer A-91D amp released in the late eighties.

Due to some very heavy transformers, beer can sized caps and sheer size, it weighs a crippling 30kgs.

It was Pioneers statement integrated of the time and has everything, including wait for it, digital inputs and onboard dacs, common nowadays but pretty much unheard of at the time. Of more interest is that it also has a decent MM and MC stage with onboard SUT cans.

It is certainly a very different sounding beast from the Quads and will require some system tuning to get the best out of it.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002%201.jpg

P1010019%201.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010014.jpg

I also have a Pioneer A300R Precision and an Acoustic Precision Eikos (based on the PDS-904) which can be seen lurking in the background.

• Upvote 2

That's very, very nice!

Would you be able to get it to the Scalford Show on Sunday for a Jap Crap bake off in room Syndicate 22 where I'm exhibiting? ;)

Hehe, nice offer but with my dodgy back i would need a forklift to move this thing ;). Instead I think I will do another bake off at my place so I dont have to lug it about.

ATB

Nice - Pioneer did some lovely greatest, including PL12D etc t-t combos/my secondary all-formats DVDp.

Hello Graham,

First time I have come over to this part of the site and see that you have opened a thread on Pioneer, good idea as I am currently building my collection of Pioneer reference system with only a cd player to find now.

Beautiful amp, I assume it was the one that originally had my name to it, If I had not purchased the amps I have just bought then I would certainly have had it of you.

I don't think these monster amps will ever again be reproduced in there original forms and as such these will certainly be much sought after.

Hi Paul,

Yes it the one I mentioned. I have owned this a while but never really auditioned it properly. So i will play around with a few speakers then decide on its future. It is extremely versatile almost a model of the do anything analogue,digital,phono equipped integrateds now available but 20 years sooner. And both the mm,mc phono stage and digital inputs are much better than I realised.

Along with a leben 600, it is the best built piece of kit I have owned. It was made prior to the jap 90s recession when pioneer started cutting a few corners on the reference range. So all the dials are metal castings, not the plastic items they substituted on later models. I love the volume control with its universal joint and hefty dial that is a pleasure to use and makes up for the lack of a remote! The biggest drawback is exactly that - its size as I can barely move it :-(

I will be interested to see how it drives the power hungry rogers studio 1.

Couple of photos of newly acquired amps (Pioneer M-73 and C-73)which I have just picked up, They are truly immaculate with not a mark on them its as though they are brand new.

Much easier to handle as two separate units as together they weigh in at a back breaking 31Kg !

I am afraid I am no photographer so apologies for any bad photos and heavy reflections these are just so glossy.

hifi1.jpg.609efe8ea73895546cc127f8ac9455

DSC_0387.jpg.59e6b9cf0dabbc52c2d94047049

DSC_0374.jpg.737a274bd35a89feb8ad7e115f8

hifi1.jpg.b21964740d757368cc87eb6b60cadc

DSC_0387.jpg.821a8118c77ac0d2e2b34f7cd6c

DSC_0374.jpg.797833ac2ecf916bcef7654950f

Hi Paul, they look jolly nice! Yes 31 kg in two boxes sounds much more manageable than 30kg in one box ;)

Out of interest, does the pre have digits inputs, same as the integrated?

Hope you enjoy them !

Graham

Hi Paul, they look jolly nice! Yes 31 kg in two boxes sounds much more manageable than 30kg in one box ;)

Out of interest, does the pre have digits inputs, same as the integrated?

Hope you enjoy them !

Graham

Hello Graham,

No digital inputs , but it does have a facility whereby you can connect direct to the power amp please see photo.

I know very little about bi wiring but do you think it is possible to bi wire the speaker terminals on these? any further info much appreciated.

Paul

DSC_0375.jpg.5ced4fa824833ded79f6048357c

DSC_0375.jpg.e9ce3671b2bdacdbf150e914b18

Hi Paul, have you the manual? It explains which speakers terminals do what. I suspect you will want the a➕ b option but mine has a switch on back panel that switches between impedance options (which makes quite a difference) so may be different from yours. The manual may be available on hifi engine site. Once both sets of terminals are active and assuming both output the same power you should be able to biwire however you would probably get a better result from a better quality run of single wire. A set of speaker cable tails is very useful with these sockets if u have banana terminated cable u want to try. If u pm me ur email I will send u a picture.

Regards

Graham

Ps back panel is very different to the a91. I will post a pic sometime.

Super Wammer

I really admire the Pioneer aesthetic. I can't boast a pure audio product from their range but my BDP - LX91 remains my reference for Blu Ray opera/concert playback.

imagejpeg

Our favourite DVD etc player (last thing we bought from defunct Bristol Radford Hi Fi) is 'still' black Pioneer budget all-regions/plays our DVDA-SACD too DVD 565A. Wish I had still a PL12D-analogue Pink Floyd TDSOTM album, as page-advertised often in many 70s-80s hifi comix ...

PI done some great stuff - IMO esp DVD and vinyl-analogue if suitably maintained.