batteredhaggis

RIP Sir Peter Maxwell Davies

Super Wammer

I've just read the news. Another great figure of music gone, so many recently.

I had an extraordinary chance encounter with him in 1994 going to Hoy and his piercing blue gaze left an indelible mark in my mind. I'd only met him five minutes on the boat from Stromness when he said 'Just call me Max', followed by an invitation to his 60th birthday concert in the tiny kirk on the island that night. Many of his many closest friends had come to the island to play and listen, and the music and laughter flowed that night.

It'll take a while for the news to sink in.

Sh*t.

They are all popping their clogs. :shock:

RIP Max. :(

Its very sad. He was an incredible character.

I love his big works - the symphonies especially, apart from no.4 which I couldn't get.

Maybe we will get recordings of his 7th 8th & 9th symphonies now? I have his 10th downloaded so must give it a go soon!

Oh dear.

I struggle a bit with his music (must give some another try) but oh what a wonderfully vivacious character he seemed to be. Whenever he appeared, whether on TV or radio, his enthusiasm filled ones living room.

Oh dear.

I struggle a bit with his music (must give some another try) but oh what a wonderfully vivacious character he seemed to be. Whenever he appeared, whether on TV or radio, his enthusiasm filled ones living room.

I would like to echo this. I struggle with a great deal of late 20th century and contemporary classical/art music, PMD included, but what a fine gentleman. RIP

He was a great conductor too. I heard some great performances with him & the BBC Phil on R3 in the 1990s, particularly remembering a blistering Beethoven 8th and Vaughan Williams 6th.

I listened to his 10th symphony last night.... good in quite large parts but I wish he hadn't bothered with all the singing! Now listening to "Worldes Bliss", which is a very bleak "Motet for Orchestra". It caused a walk-out at its first performance at the 1969 Proms - can't see why TBH. Its not easy listening but its austerely beautiful.

I really want to track down recordings of his Stone Litany and Black Pentecost. (edit: just found them as CD quality downloads at prestoclassical.co.uk - who are much better nowadays for classical than amazon!)