Scalford 2016 - any last minute repairs/mods/fettling/panic ????

Oh good...I am keen to hear your TA-N80S...glad its back in commission. Looking forward to hearing it and your other covetables!

I've been building a sub to match one I already have, on Hermit's suggestion, deciding these two (now) will sound rather better than Ikea tables as speaker stands. Subs use a Mission plate amp and JBL 2226H 15" drivers...98 db efficient, low distortion and 600w handling.

Excellent, spend as long with my system and your music as you want, pal!!

Sadly unforeseen circumstances have meant i've had to sell most of my stuff,so there has been some changes.

Possibly to late for the printers,but Syndicate 21 is hopefully going to be a mono system with a garrard 301 / single Westrex speaker.

Not 100% sure what the amp is going to be yet.

I'll make a biggish sign for the door,so no problem if it has gone to print.

If you need an amp loaner, Stu, I might have something suitable that glows.

Grazie is joining me in room 221 with his JVC AX-Z1010TN, subject of a thread over on pfm:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168851

I'm looking forward to hearing it - we'll be playing round on Saturday evening to get the best sounding combination of our gear!

Meanwhile the active filters for the subs are slowly coming along.

Grazie is joining me in room 221 with his JVC AX-Z1010TN, subject of a thread over on pfm:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168851

I'm looking forward to hearing it - we'll be playing round on Saturday evening to get the best sounding combination of our gear!

Meanwhile the active filters for the subs are slowly coming along.

Excellent stuff. There's a lot of Jap Crap at the show this year it seems, I can't wait!

Very interested to hear that amp. Have often looked at them and considered pulling the trigger.

As a JVC fanboi I have to say I'm very interested to hear it too....

These aren't as bad as the pair I restored a few months ago.

A dodge you might like to try when re foaming the bass drivers that I used instead of removing the dustcap and shimming was:

Clean the edge of the back of the cone thoroughly, removing all vestiges of previous foam - then glue surround to the back of the cone, allow to dry.

Then position the outer edge of the foam with eight clothes pegs holding it in position on the frame, and use the pegs to adjust centrality until the voice coil is centred in the magnetic gap. You can get an idea of this by tapping the cone - if you get a rattle, adjust position with clothespegs - and by pushing gently down on the cone edge, seeing if you have rubbing in the voice coil gap. Eventually you'll be pretty sure its centred. What you're doing is a sort of dummy gluing using the clothespegs.

Then go round removing a peg at a time and slipping glue under between foam and basket, then pegging again. Check pegs haven't slipped during gluing by doing the rattle checks as you go.

I found Aleens Tacky glue better than what they often send with the foams, but the glue Fred Buist (Audiofriends) supplies is better still.

On my pair one bass unit was easy peasy and pretty well central as it came, the other really needed the above process.

Best of luck, hope the foams arrive in time and hopefully hear them at Scalford.

Foams arrived from Fred Buist (Audiofriends) over the weekend I looking forward to getting them repaired.

Sharif.

Having an abscess on my liver fettled by the NHS at the moment. Photos to follow.

speakers3_zps0rnskhue.jpg

Things have changed a little....

Firstly, I've finished the second one so now going with two subs - JBL 2226H's with Mission plate amps. I was going to use some Ikea tables as speaker stands but these go down lower.

Also Decca Ribbons on top.

I think the whole stack sets new standards for low WAF.

And, also, the JVC M-L10 I was going to take has been retired to the subs bench, and its place will be taken by a Luxkit Z504 - apologies to the JVC appreciation society, but will still be using the P-L10 preamp.

Luxkit_zpsmaaqx96f.jpg

Super Wammer
Having an abscess on my liver fettled by the NHS at the moment. Photos to follow.
:x sorry to hear that mate

Even the visitors are panicking now...... my Mrs just said to me, today we should be choosing the music to take to Scalford as we won't have much time in the week to think about it before we set off on Saturday......

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

9.58am next Sunday ... solder fumes still issuing from under closed door of orangeart's dem room. :P