JTW

Bruckner 9th symphony

I had not listened to this for a long time but did some homework as it was the main piece at this week's RLPO concert. I always found it difficult , to me it sounds a little disjointed, I'm sure that familiarity would help here and maybe the fact that it is missing its' final movement does not help in this. I listened at home to Abbado's version on DG

[ATTACH]13596[/ATTACH]

And I enjoyed it very much, given my reservations above.

The performance at the Phil last night conducted by Sir Andrew Davis and it was excellent and quite a contrast to the first half - Mozart's 5th Violin Concerto played by Esther Yoo!

But what a piece the Bruckner is the second movement, particularly, sounds as if it's fallen back through some temporal wormhole, I'm sure Shostakovich would have been proud to have written some of these themes.

Does anyone have any recommendations for alternative recordings or should I stick with the Abbado?

front.jpg.404acede0a636631b406fa6e7d70c1

I don't think that Abbado recording really goes deep enough, its not "cosmic" enough for me.

Guilini/VPO on DG, Wand/NDR (Live in Lubeck cathedral 1980s)

Recently very impressed by Fabio Luisa/Dresden Staatskapelle on Sony.

I just don't get Abbado's approach in Mahler and Bruckner - my problem, I'm sure.

There is a great version of Bruckner's 9th with Horenstein and the VPO which has the benefit of being coupled with his wonderful reading of Mahler's 1st (quite possibly my favourite of that symphony). Celibidache offers a very different reading, which brings out a completely different sense of scale and dynamics - definitely worth trying.

I don't think that Abbado recording really goes deep enough, its not "cosmic" enough for me.

Guilini/VPO on DG, Wand/NDR (Live in Lubeck cathedral 1980s)

Recently very impressed by Fabio Luisa/Dresden Staatskapelle on Sony.

I just don't get Abbado's approach in Mahler and Bruckner - my problem, I'm sure.

There is a great version of Bruckner's 9th with Horenstein and the VPO which has the benefit of being coupled with his wonderful reading of Mahler's 1st (quite possibly my favourite of that symphony). Celibidache offers a very different reading, which brings out a completely different sense of scale and dynamics - definitely worth trying.

Thanks guys, I shall persevere then, off to ebay to see what I can pick up. Didn't Wand record a lot of versions by the way!

Eugen Jochum is awesome, as is Wand - I agree that Abbado is a bit lightweight.

Bruno Walter is also magic, but the recording is getting on a bit now.

Yoel Levi (with the Oslo Philharmonic) gives you all four movements, courtesy of William Carragan's reconstruction of the fourth movement. Once heard, it is difficult to be content with the three-movement torso.

The main alternative completion, used by Simon Rattle, does not work nearly as well for me. Carragan allows himself a little more freedom, with the result that his version becomes living music rather than mere musical archaeology.