Brigadoon

Nooby Guide / FAQ

Super Wammer
What knocks em bandy Jim, is your choice of TT stand

And they are hypnotised by the plasma

Actually your system Jim is designed to send people :nuts: what with platters spinning in all directions and flickering balls of plasma

• Upvote 1

Super Mod

My favourite visitor experiences:

1. I was waiting for the proper amp/DAC to turn up, so I set up with a Behringer UCA-202 into a mini-T amp. First guy through the door berates me for using VLC Media Player instead of a hand-knitted Linux program, then slags off my cables.

2. Mini Tannoys were giving it some on a rather bassy track. Knowledgeable Dad turn to son and says, of course this would sound poor without the sub-woofer. And points at the circular waste bin under the hotel desk...

• Upvote 1

Super Mod

2. Mini Tannoys were giving it some on a rather bassy track. Knowledgeable Dad turn to son and says, of course this would sound poor without the sub-woofer. And points at the circular waste bin under the hotel desk...

You never heard of...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsqem8uKJ3x_WLGXAdRSqvX7cGqt_tnsjNOLtJZhNPBprUzypi7A

Super Wammer

Hmmm,

I've worked hi Fi shows before, albeit in a professional capacity.

Lastly at the Heathrow Hi Fi show when I was European Marketing Manager for a certain esoteric, very shiny and made-of-aluminium. 'Made in Galway'. Irish speaker......

Ken Kessler said........

Has anyone ever sat down and said words to the effect of, 'This system is really amazing, it sounds beautiful... do you mind if I touch myself while listening to it?'

Josh, do you happen to have a couple of good mates, one from Down Under, the other from Crouch End, both wearing prosthetic limbs? Are you a mite bothered by the prospect of sexing a salt-water crocodile by inserting your finger up its jacksie? Or being flown in a light aircraft by a blind, black, gay Pommie fae Glasgow? If so, it's ok. You're amongst friends. You can tell us; if you've done all that, Scalford will be a walk in the park. :^

Hmmm,

I've worked hi Fi shows before, albeit in a professional capacity.

Lastly at the Heathrow Hi Fi show when I was European Marketing Manager for a certain esoteric, very shiny and made-of-aluminium. 'Made in Galway'. Irish speaker......

Ken Kessler said........

From memory, that was an odd-looking sculptural thing. Three spikes on the bottom, bulbous base with a downwards-facing driver, bit like a cross between a sitar and a bong, with a tall neck and some gubbins up top. About £2.5k. I want to say Orthichoke or something but they were definitely O' something.

Did they ever sell other than to the lifestyle mags? Were they any good? Not trolling BTW, just vaguely remember them in some music vid and always thought they were style over substance.

Super Wammer
From memory, that was an odd-looking sculptural thing. Three spikes on the bottom, bulbous base with a downwards-facing driver, bit like a cross between a sitar and a bong, with a tall neck and some gubbins up top. About £2.5k. I want to say Orthichoke or something but they were definitely O' something.

O'heocha ? attachment.php?attachmentid=13430&stc=1

41YwWzO-6TL.jpg.264fd71125714ddd9e370f7c

41YwWzO-6TL.jpg.0ebff99d84c42605d9da0914

Yes! That's the ones. Like some Pixar nightmare involving homesick aliens and a butt plug.

Bloody hell, you wouldn't get that lot for £2.5k today. Just a beeswax fuse for your vibe off Love Honey.

It is generally all good, but it can get 'interesting'. My room was rammed for much of last year and nearly everybody was fantastic, but I did get visits from a couple of real individuals :roll:.

My tone arm is relatively expensive and is no longer manufactured, and the cartridge is also costly so I deployed a few 'please do not touch signs' to avoid tragedy/expensive repair. I had a visit from one chap who ignored the signs and started yanking at the tone arm (perhaps he had never seen a unipivot before and thought the way to understanding was through vandalism) . When asked politely not to touch, he responded by saying 'I wasn't' and hurling the Aro down on its rest with almost enough force to break it and the cartridge. Luckily, everything survived. That particular chap was one of the non-showering brethren so he lingered long in the memory.

Also, I was unamused by people leaning on my speakers or in one case going to rest a half full pint pot on my speaker so he could rummage through my records. :dunno:I'm not putting out doilies or beer mats as I find a vicious blow from a rusty hammer to be far more effective at preventing spills. :RIP:

Last year was great fun. 99.9% of the visitors to my room were superb, I had great fun and got to meet a great bunch of people. (Bring some air freshener though :sick: )

Super Wammer

Did they ever sell other than to the lifestyle mags? Were they any good? Not trolling BTW, just vaguely remember them in some music vid and always thought they were style over substance.

O'heocha ?

Yep, those are the ones.. They were very well built - machined out of aerospace grade aluminium, and they erm...were very interesting to look at......

Interestingly, their design was actually a case of function over form - the shape was deigned to eliminate cabinet reflection and resonance, so the only thing you hear is the driver. They had a slightly electrostatic, very "Hi-Fi" sound to them.

Personally I thought their "entry level" floor standers were the best of the range. They were slightly unruly, and managed to not have that "Hi Fi" - ness to them. As a result they were entertaining and quite musical.

Super Wammer

Okay another question. What's the official standpoint on selling at the show?

Is it verboten to actively sell bits of one's kit at the show?

If a show visitor fancies a bit of one's kit and asks "how much for the..." is it verboten to 'do a deal'?

Assuming it's Hi Fi kit we're talking about, and not forum members.....(I'm sure Rabs could fetch quite a price post-fountain..."

^ Quiet, low key deals like you describe are OK, imo.

And doubtless there will be a fair amount of pre-arranged handovers.

But don't go putting For Sale labels on stuff :nup: - it's a friendly exhibition of hifi and music, not a market place*.

* Authorised dealers in their proper place and my charity Bring & Buy sale excepted, of course! :)

And in previous years some folks held charity sales of music etc in their own dem rooms. :^

Super Wammer
^ Quiet, low key deals like you describe are OK, imo.

And doubtless there will be a fair amount of pre-arranged handovers.

But don't go putting For Sale labels on stuff :nup: - it's a friendly exhibition of hifi and music, not a market place*.

* Authorised dealers in their proper place and my charity Bring & Buy sale excepted, of course! :)

And in previous years some folks held charity sales of music etc in their own dem rooms. :^

Pretty much as I thought it would be.

Guess I'll need to can the whole billboard in the parking lot idea then! :clout:

Super Wammer

As an exhibitor, expect lots of questions if visitors like what they hear, especially about price of kit, sometimes about the tech.

Also, regardless of how good your system sounds, or not, most visitors will acknowledge your efforts with a smile, nod or a quiet thank you, but you will also get the ignorant ones who seem to think they have a right to be there and give no acknowledgement at all. This really winds me up as it doesn't matter if your system sounds great or awful (which is an individual opinion), visitors should at least recognise that its cost you money and time to put on the show for them.

You'll also get visitors who:

- ignore your room because they don't like the name on the boxes, their loss

- ignore your room because they think they don't like some of the tech in your system (e.g. "I don't like SS amps"; or "I don't like horns"), again, their loss

- stick their head around the door and form an opinion, despite the fact it took you 2 hours to get the speakers in the best place in the room

- actually enjoy themselves, good grief