browellm

Roon + Tidal is a classical fan's wet dream

A bit of preamble:

• Roon stores classical metadata in "works" just like they are grouped on CD covers
  • Roon also looks at your library and groups "performances" - different versions of the same work.
  • Tidal integrates tightly into Roon
  • Tidal works can be integrated with your own library and are marked as Tidal on the cover during browsing or searching.

So when you access a particular work in Tidal, you see this:

Screenshot%202016-01-13%2010.34.49.png

(Note the 143 performances of the Tchaikovsky! Fill your boots.)

Clicking into the performances link then produces a list like this:

Screenshot%202016-01-13%2010.36.53.png

Neat, huh?

One day I will understand all this streaming type stuff:?.

What is particularly good here is the focus on Works, rather than just discs (although that can still be done.)

For example, something like the Egmont Overture by Beethoven is often packaged with a variety of other works on CD. If you have a large library, can you remember where they all are? Or that there's a particularly good version lurking on a disc where perhaps you weren't so keen on the main concerto performance etc. and therefore hardly ever play it.

Roon will automagically group your Egmont Overtures for you to browse together in one place. If you happen to see a cover where you'd like to play the whole disc, just click on the cover.

Very interesting, thanks for the screen grabs Mark.

It certainly looks promising but from what you show has a little way to go. In your second example what is shown is the disc on which the works originated, not a list of the individual work which in this case would normally part of a disc. On the Naxos disc this doesn't show who the soloist is, arguably more important than the conductor and certainly the orchestra.

Super Wammer

Roon seem to be working hard on developing the software suitability for classical music. Nobody else is it seems to me, very small market.

I may even buy it one day.

Very interesting, thanks for the screen grabs Mark.

On the Naxos disc this doesn't show who the soloist is, arguably more important than the conductor and certainly the orchestra.

The Naxos Prokofiev is a 9 disc box set hence the "Various Artists" tag. However, the soloists are correctly tagged in the credits section, and therefore searchable.

Screenshot%202016-01-13%2016.07.09.png

In your second example what is shown is the disc on which the works originated, not a list of the individual work which in this case would normally part of a disc

It displays the cover of the disc (or in this case box set) but that's only for visual reference. If I click into the "Work" it will only play the work. If I click the cover, it will jump to the entire 9 discs for me and from there I can play everything from start to finish if I like.

One day I will understand all this streaming type stuff:?.

I'm a bit like Rob here I am afraid. I use Spotify occasionally but not often enough to be worth paying for the premium version so I am stuck with all of the annoying adverts. Tidal I presume is another streaming service like Spotify but what is Roon and where does it fit into the equation?:oops:

Good to see you back btw Mark.:^

I'm a bit like Rob here I am afraid. I use Spotify occasionally but not often enough to be worth paying for the premium version so I am stuck with all of the annoying adverts. Tidal I presume is another streaming service like Spotify but what is Roon and where does it fit into the equation?:oops:

It's library management software, Graeme. Like JRiver or Logitech Media Server.

Ah got it. I like JRiver, it does a grand job with all of my CDs. So can JRiver link to Spotify or Tidal in the same way then?

Ah got it. I like JRiver, it does a grand job with all of my CDs. So can JRiver link to Spotify or Tidal in the same way then?

Don't know about JRiver. You can get Tidal/Spotify/Napster and such to integrate into LMS and play albums from those services , but the really clever thing about Roon/Tidal integration is when you add a Tidal album it becomes a full, searchable part of your library with all the metadata, artist and album bios and links to others artists.

Also, my original screenshot was somewhat truncated. This gives you a better idea about what you see.

Screenshot%202016-01-13%2016.17.19.png

Thanks for clearing that up :^.

Some other nice browsing capability: using the Focus tool allows you to narrow down with search queries. Here's an example of the German composers in my collection

classical%20focus.png

You can focus on a classicial period, to show all your baroque titles for instance, or even down to particular decades.

So can you integrate Roon with LMS on a vortexbox?

I've got them running in parallel. There's no integration as such since they are effectively two products doing the same job of showing you your library. I'm keeping LMS running for now as there are some things Roon can't do yet such as internet radio and front panel control of my SB Boom in the kitchen is important.

Right now, you couldn't install Roon directly on to a Vortexbox PC because they don't have a Linux client, although it's supposed to be about a month away.