Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

CageyH

One sub or two?

Wotever you feel aptly you wish to select-buy-install-service etc - I advise proper full-range stereo front pair.

My speakers spec is 40Hz to 20kHz +/-3.0dB (-6dB at 35Hz)

Is this not enough?

As I can only afford one 12" sub right now, and XTZ assure me that I will be able to tune it to my room with little effort, I have ordered the 1x12 as it goes deeper and is "designed" for Home Cinema use.

If I don't like it, I will send it back and try a 12.17.

As I can only afford one 12" sub right now, and XTZ assure me that I will be able to tune it to my room with little effort, I have ordered the 1x12 as it goes deeper and is "designed" for Home Cinema use.

If I don't like it, I will send it back and try a 12.17.

The 1x12 should make your trouser legs flap if required.

Let us know how you get on. :^

Will do.

It was a tough choice between the 12.17 and 1x12. I just hope I have made the right one. :nerves:

Will do.

It was a tough choice between the 12.17 and 1x12. I just hope I have made the right one. :nerves:

The Cinema 1x12 is the superior sub, its just that it only comes in one finish, but just about every component is slightly better than the 12.17.

Dual 12.17's are better than a single 1x12, but you have made the right choice.

I would try your front L and R at full range and then also set them to crossover at 80HZ and see which sounds best for you, it varies from room to room.

The Kefs will run out of puff before the XTZ. :^

Well, it's arrived today and it's an absolute beast. Much bigger than I thought. :D

I have plumbed it in, set it in the same space as the last sub was, run the calibration and watched some action scenes.

:oj:

I need to spend a bit of time tweaking it, but initial impressions are good! Very good.

I am running it vented, and the bass is superb. Very deep, but not too over powering, so I am a happy bunny. Roll on chrimbo movies!

Well, it's arrived today and it's an absolute beast. Much bigger than I thought. :D

I have plumbed it in, set it in the same space as the last sub was, run the calibration and watched some action scenes.

:oj:

I need to spend a bit of time tweaking it, but initial impressions are good! Very good.

I am running it vented, and the bass is superb. Very deep, but not too over powering, so I am a happy bunny. Roll on chrimbo movies!

Great value for money aren't they?

Kick Ass Too. :oj:

I run mine sealed, but depends on your room.

Have fun over Crimbo. :^

Bit of a newbie question (from someone that doesn't have an AVR receiver) but where there are 2 sub outputs are these usually stereo or do they just handle the same mono'd ouput ?

I was thinking of dipping my toes into surround sound but loathe to downgrade my hifi stereo set up (Lyngdorf digital amps, corner passive bass units (cross over at 300+ Hz so not subs in the accepted sense) and electrostatic mains. All I've read is that I'm unlikely to get the same quality for music with an AVR, even an expensive Arcam one or similar.

Then again if I had £40k+ - Lyngdorf Steinway !

... good luck suitably all in your apt choices-installations-maintenance - I still advise proper full-range-front stereo with maybe a bit of rear surround stereo.

Subs are for underwater/rolls/annual payments or computer-sys embellishment ...

Edited by Chumpy

On 22/10/2016 at 10:59, liffy99 said:

Bit of a newbie question (from someone that doesn't have an AVR receiver) but where there are 2 sub outputs are these usually stereo or do they just handle the same mono'd ouput ?

I was thinking of dipping my toes into surround sound but loathe to downgrade my hifi stereo set up (Lyngdorf digital amps, corner passive bass units (cross over at 300+ Hz so not subs in the accepted sense) and electrostatic mains. All I've read is that I'm unlikely to get the same quality for music with an AVR, even an expensive Arcam one or similar.

Then again if I had £40k+ - Lyngdorf Steinway !

There is only one LFE (low frequency effects channel) and as far as I am aware there are no plans to change this as the frequencies are so low they would not be identifiable as stereo channels.

So yes, mono'd output.

I have had HiFi sound from an AVR, although add separate power amps or active speakers and it makes High End sound even easier to achieve.

Steinway Lyngdorf is in a league of its own and makes most High End HIFi sound poor IMO.

Thanks for reviving this thread!

The XTZ subs look good so any long term feed back would be interesting.

I'm tempted to get a pair as my bass drivers in the three way mains are sometimes overloaded.

Would go for dual subs next to each main.

Liffy, I thought the W210s (if that's what you've got) didn't go very low so a pair of mono subs might help.

Personally I prefer good stereo to surround, if you're got Room Perfect it should apply the finishing touch after you

integrate any subs.

All of your suitable best - I advise essentially no subs, but fine full-range front stereo L-R.