The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

paulbfd

4" off being square

House hunting at the moment and found one that looks nice but the living room is 14' 7" x 14' 3" - I know there's many other factors to consider but are those dimensions likely to cause a problem? Not sure how the vendor would feel if we rocked up for a viewing with all my kit to try out!

And all the accoustic treatment fixed to the ceiling and walls.

Means a big peak at 80Hz or thereabouts. Definitely look into corner trap suitability if that's acceptable.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Not only is square not ideal for hifi, but it doesn't allow for much speaker placement variation and trying other types of speaker (front/back ported, sealed, floor/stand-mounted, electrostatics etc.) or, in fact, hifi location or seating either. Best shaped room is rectangular, esp. with odd crooks and nannies in it. Even L shape is okay as long as the main part is rectangular and has a decent length (20 feet or so). Knocking through walls to combine, say, dining and living rooms can often be a solution, though some smaller modern houses leave a lot to be desired in hifi terms.

Thanks everyone. I'll pass on this one then - last two places I've lived have never been ideal but the next move will (hopefully!) be the last for many, many years so I want it to be right.

Squarish rooms always sound best if you measure one wall in metric and the other in feet.Although feet and inches are more suited to measuring caves as they belong in the caveman era.

Squarish rooms always sound best if you measure one wall in metric and the other in feet.Although feet and inches are more suited to measuring caves as they belong in the caveman era.

I feel semi-detached about this, but not furlong in my yard