The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

THOMO

ATC or Volt based Wilmslow Audio Kit Speakers?

I am tempted to try either the ATC SCM 100 or SCM 50 clone kits from Wilmslow Audio.Or one of their transmission line kits using ATC and or Volt drivers.

Image depth,dynamics and tight and textured bass are important to me.

Does anyone have experience with these?

I can build the cabinets.

No experience of these kits, I know the ATC models, and I would guess that ATC are the least likely speaker to fit your taste. Shouty, loud of necessity, and hard sounding. Oops, new Wam, I mean neutral for those offended.

To take time to build to their model is a labour of love, not a leap of faith IMHO. Go easy...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

No experience of these kits, I know the ATC models, and I would guess that ATC are the least likely speaker to fit your taste. Shouty, loud of necessity, and hard sounding. Oops, new Wam, I mean neutral for those offended.

To take time to build to their model is a labour of love, not a leap of faith IMHO. Go easy...

Well I see you own Audio Note AN/E so understand your thoughts on ATC.Very different sounding speakers but I can enjoy both.I have heard the active SCM 100s and thought they sounded very good.Perhaps unforgiving of poor recordings but matched with a good valve preamp and warmish sounding source [which I own] I think they would be pretty good.

Looking at the Wilmslow kit and taking my experience in account A.O.S. ( sorry german only...) is the better solution!

Scan Speak Beryllium HF, IlluminatorLW driver and the famous ATC MF driver are a really terrific combination.

Plus you can go the semi and full active path later.

Questions? just ask. I own a M45 TL BE ;-)

regards

F.s.

You may want to read this thread - Link

Thanks for that link.80 pages without much insight and very little joy.

Seems to me the bottom line is that those big dome mids are very tricky devices to get sounding right.Not keen at all on the 500 HZ crossover on the Volt-that is a problem crossover point in my experience.The 380 Hz for the ATC is much better.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at the Wilmslow kit and taking my experience in account A.O.S. ( sorry german only...) is the better solution!

Scan Speak Beryllium HF, IlluminatorLW driver and the famous ATC MF driver are a really terrific combination.

Plus you can go the semi and full active path later.

Questions? just ask. I own a M45 TL BE

regards

F.s.

Can you buy that as a kit?IF so where from?

Maybe the Eton Duetta would be worth a try too?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you buy that as a kit?IF so where from?

Maybe the Eton Duetta would be worth a try too?

Yes, A.O.S. is the developer of these kits. You can have the passive, semi active and full active kit from him.

Perhaps it is possible to buy the Scan Speaks in Australia. That would save a lot of weight and shipping costs ;-)

I think you couldn't compare the Duetta with the AOS Monitor speakers....

Well I see you own Audio Note AN/E so understand your thoughts on ATC.Very different sounding speakers but I can enjoy both.I have heard the active SCM 100s and thought they sounded very good.Perhaps unforgiving of poor recordings but matched with a good valve preamp and warmish sounding source [which I own] I think they would be pretty good.

Indeed, I am coming to the conclusion that I am troubled by crossover artifacts at certain frequencies more than others and this is not the same for all folks. I have trouble with anything in the 3-4kHz range, and don't like a crossover in the range of the human voice. Thus from my perspective the ATC mid, a beautiful piece of engineering and as free of compromise as I am aware of, is as a result saddled with two complicated crossover regions of which the higher is most problematic (to me) and makes their presentation physically hurt my ears. But that is just me.

Anyway I am delighted this thread is taking off, hope it works out for you, and am excited to see the kit builders choices and solutions as they appear here :^

Super Dealer

As a contributor to the DIY Audio thread (same handle), I can say the following:

1. Wilsmlow Audio service was diabolical. Wrong components installed in crossover, crossover with unsoldered joints, order for bass unit cancelled for no reason when I'd waited four months for the mid unit to arrive etc never mind a customer service ethic that was based around the customer not needing any communication over the ever lengthening timescale.

2. Their cabinets are easy to build and very reasonable but the componentry of their crossovers is very poor: I upgraded to Jensen caps and inductors, inc. C Core for the bass and these parts made a huge difference.

My advice? Go for Wilmslow but build your own crossovers to their design and prepare to be very patient

Thanks for all the input.

I should have explained that I like the sound of dome midrange based speakers.

One the best speakers I have owned were Sonique Encores that used two Dynaudio D52 dome mids in a very Duntech type arrangement.Unfortunately let down by using a pair of 7 inch ported Vifa woofers so the bass was nowhere near the quality of the midrange.

I also have Edgar horns that use Dynaudio D54 std dome midranges mounted in a 500hz tractrix horn and they produce glorious midrange.Unfortunately that 500 Hz crossover point makes it very hard to integrate with a woofer-although extreme sensitivity [115bdb] perhaps makes that more tricky than it should be.

In my experience the critical midrange of 300hz to 1500hz should be from one driver( two in parallel or series if you want to be pedantic ) although my preference of 3000hz was probably due to the drivers I used. It seems to be a very American thing crossing around 1 KHz or thereabouts. Two and a half octaves into the midrange.

Yes, A.O.S. is the developer of these kits. You can have the passive, semi active and full active kit from him.

Perhaps it is possible to buy the Scan Speaks in Australia. That would save a lot of weight and shipping costs ;-)

I think you couldn't compare the Duetta with the AOS Monitor speakers....

Yes that looks to be a more professional looking kit.

I will get my Swiss neighbour to translate the text.

Looks like very similar woofer and tweeter to those used in the Magico S5 [although they are infinite baffle].My brother owns them and they sound superb.

Going from Dynaudio to ATC might be a let down. Dynaudio are smooth sounding with lovely bass extension. ATC are lacking in both of these qualities, despite their misleading appearance.

One of the most boring speakers I have heard was a pair of Dynaudio Evidence Masters.Zero musical engagement there.I would prefer the ATC SCM 40s to them-at about 4% of the cost of the Evidence Masters!

I cannot comment on those as I have never heard them. However I would say Dynaudio Focus and PMC wipe the floor with ATC for enjoyment, personally speaking.

Personal presentation aside, looking at ability alone: I have never heard an ATC monitor produce lower bass properly without the aid of a subwoofer. I have heard a lot of them too, in all sizes in different rooms. Considering some of their designs are huge I find that very odd indeed.