Snell Speakers

Having an electronic music night tonight. I wouldn’t say that the Snells are particularly ‘danceable to’, but they allow you to hear right into the recording and the bass is certainly troubling the house foundations. Lovely.

Appreciate that I am largely having a conversation with myself in this thread, but lordy-dordie my A’s are sounding good. New output tubes in the amp has really spiced things up compared to the tired old ones and the MC cart I have just fitted has added texture and control throughout, but particularly in the bass.

It is going to be a major logistical challenge but I am contemplating hauling them up to Kegworth 2020 - anyone going to talk me into / out of it?

• Like 2

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, lostwin said:

It is going to be a major logistical challenge but I am contemplating hauling them up to Kegworth 2020 - anyone going to talk me into / out of it?

Yes me! These were one of the best speakers I have heard at  the Scalford show. If I remember correctly they were shown by Dom, and sounded fabulous. So yes please make the effort, and probably ask for one of the few large rooms.

11A4BB8A1AFB47BB8F117F678B720410300.jpg.2c8039708eee913919f6d97bc0bb9493.jpg

Edited by greybeard
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, lostwin said:

anyone going to talk me into / out of it?

Yes please!! I’m a relative newb here being a What HiFi exile and I couldn’t make Kegworth this time, however I will deffo will come next time as it’d be great to hear some kit and meet some other peeps!!

Your passion and clear love for these makes me really really want to hear them! Bring them along!! 

1 hour ago, Amormusic said:

Yes please!! I’m a relative newb here being a What HiFi exile and I couldn’t make Kegworth this time, however I will deffo will come next time as it’d be great to hear some kit and meet some other peeps!!

Your passion and clear love for these makes me really really want to hear them! Bring them along!! 

Thanks, i’m relatively new on here too, about 9 months or so, but I have found it a great community. I made it to Kegworth in March and it really is unmissable. Lots of passionate and friendly people and a terrific variety of systems and sounds.

The Snell type A are an unusual speaker and seemingly pretty rare in this country. I guess you would say that they weren’t designed with the average British living room in mind. They also sound somewhat different to an typical box speaker as they utilise first reflection points as well as direct. It means they are not quite as punchy or focused but have a wide open window that is almost a little horn like in effortless scale. A 12” woofer in a sealed bass cabinet at the bottom provides plenty of weight too.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, lostwin said:

Go on just do it.

Yes I'll talk you into it as they sound bloomin' lovely, with bass weight and controlled non-fatiguing highs.

However, please don't ruin the moment by playing plinky plonky Jazz again...

:D

Edited by parcelmonkey
A clerical error
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, parcelmonkey said:

Go on just do it.

Yes I'll talk you into it as they sound bloomin' lovely, with bass weight and controlled non-fatiguing highs.

However, please don't ruin the moment by playing plinky plonky Jazz again...

:D

That’s most of the record collection out then. Looks like it will just have to be 8 hours of Kylie and Cliff Richard...

6 minutes ago, lostwin said:

That’s most of the record collection out then. Looks like it will just have to be 8 hours of Kylie and Cliff Richard...

Don't worry, plenty of people will pass by asking to play music you've never heard of. I hope you're embracing digital too?

As I'm struggling to find a vinyl release of this dirge...

xD

21 minutes ago, parcelmonkey said:

Don't worry, plenty of people will pass by asking to play music you've never heard of. I hope you're embracing digital too?

As I'm struggling to find a vinyl release of this dirge...

xD

There will be door men controlling entry and I will be giving them a mug shot of you! 😄

Would love to hear A's again, Dom"s system was amazing. For me it redefined what was achievable with hi-fi.

However if they were mine, personally I wouldn't risk them.... Although I hope you ignore my advice 😉

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sir_Franc said:

Kegworth... go for it, but I think you will need a bigger car!

:D  Yes, not going to try to get them in my current car again after the last time!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Contemplating bi-amping the Snells - horizontal configuration. The crossovers are already set up for this within the speakers.

Valve is definitely the way to go with mids and treble but considering solid state for the bass. Bass unit is a 12” downward firing unit in a sealed enclosure. The crossover is set at 200hz.

i need power, lots of power, and moderately priced Class D looks interesting. Considering the crossover point, should I be concerned about the quality of the watts and it’s potential integration with the timbre of the valve driven mids or is bass just bass?

Any thoughts?

Edited by lostwin
Correction

1 hour ago, lostwin said:

Contemplating bi-amping the Snells - vertical configuration. The crossovers are already set up for this.

I need power, lots of power, and moderately priced Class D looks interesting. Considering the crossover point, should I be concerned about the quality of the watts and it’s potential integration with the timbre of the valve driven mids or is bass just bass?

Any thoughts?

I'd happily bring over the Vitus to see what happens first to see if it's power & watts or current you require?

Personally, I've yet to find class D bass tone I've liked. Always lacked something to my ears...

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, parcelmonkey said:

I'd happily bring over the Vitus to see what happens first to see if it's power & watts or current you require?

Personally, I've yet to find class D bass tone I've liked. Always lacked something to my ears...

Yes, let’s do that. I’ll see if Gabriel and Ian are up for a session as well. I’ll send a PM