The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Snell Speakers

17 hours ago, nut said:

I found that when selling the A3 you bought from me.

I wanted to tell everyone tney had to buy these and anyone who didn’t was missing out.

Phil, I am interested in how you positioned these speakers in your room . Rick had them in a relatively free space arrangement and a near field near listening position with drivers pointing directly at you. I perhaps have the benefit of a bit more space to listen from a greater distance but I do need to put one speaker close to a corner. 

I can get the speakers 270cm apart (measured between mid driver cones) and listening position anything from 2m to 3.5m.

I have found that pulling them 30cm from the wall gives the best balance in the bass for my room but am now playing about with toe-in. 

In some ways I don’t feel that they are particularly sensitive to toe in due to their design yet I don’t seem to have found a point at which the soundstage is absolutely locked in place.

What was your preferred placement?

I use an Isotek setup cd to sort out the soundstage. If you haven't got one try listening to someone speaking in mono. This will help you get the voice spot ni the middle, then toe it / out to correct the size of the voice. Toed in too much will give a narrow, but defined sound, whilst toeing out will spread the soundstage, but will result in less detail. Adjust to taste.

26 minutes ago, Sir_Franc said:

I use an Isotek setup cd to sort out the soundstage. If you haven't got one try listening to someone speaking in mono. This will help you get the voice spot ni the middle, then toe it / out to correct the size of the voice. Toed in too much will give a narrow, but defined sound, whilst toeing out will spread the soundstage, but will result in less detail. Adjust to taste.

I’ll try that, thanks Rick 

3 hours ago, lostwin said:

Phil, I am interested in how you positioned these speakers in your room . Rick had them in a relatively free space arrangement and a near field near listening position with drivers pointing directly at you. I perhaps have the benefit of a bit more space to listen from a greater distance but I do need to put one speaker close to a corner. 

I can get the speakers 270cm apart (measured between mid driver cones) and listening position anything from 2m to 3.5m.

I have found that pulling them 30cm from the wall gives the best balance in the bass for my room but am now playing about with toe-in. 

In some ways I don’t feel that they are particularly sensitive to toe in due to their design yet I don’t seem to have found a point at which the soundstage is absolutely locked in place.

In my room they were quite compromised.

Stuck in the corners 6 inches from the rear wall, with the rear tweeters turned off. No toe in to speak of.

I didn't really have much choice due to room and furniture restrictions.

Still sounded excellent.

Not much help to you i'm afraid.

1 hour ago, nut said:

In my room they were quite compromised.

Stuck in the corners 6 inches from the rear wall, with the rear tweeters turned off. No toe in to speak of.

I didn't really have much choice due to room and furniture restrictions.

Still sounded excellent.

Not much help to you i'm afraid.

Appreciate the response Phil, I know that I am fortunate to have a room that gives me some extra flexibility on positioning.

To some extent I think that there is a transition between my last speakers- living voice’s - and the Snell’s. I had the living voices toed in heavily, something they respond to very well by producing a highly focused soundstage. The Snell’s with their less conventional design i think are going to be looser in this respect. I will continue playing with their position to get the best result.

No regrets on buying them however, they sound magical on so many different recordings, especially live performances where they convey the venues acoustics so convincingly.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, lostwin said:

Try swapping the positive and negative connections of your speaker cables over for BOTH channels, either at the amp end or the speaker end. This will invert the absolute polarity/phase. It CAN make a difference but not guaranteed. I find that when polarity is wrong, imaging is more indistinct. 

OBVIOUSLY ENSURE AMPS ARE SWITCHED OFF BEFORE YOU TRY THIS. 

Edited by Gizza
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gizza said:

Try swapping the positive and negative connections of your speaker cables over for BOTH channels, either at the amp end or the speaker end. This will invert the absolute polarity/phase. It CAN make a difference but not guaranteed. I find that when polarity is wrong, imaging is more indistinct. 

Interesting, i’ll give this a go too right now

1 hour ago, Gizza said:

Definitely better with ‘correct’ phase - appreciate the suggestion though 👍🏻

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, lostwin said:

Definitely better with ‘correct’ phase - appreciate the suggestion though 👍🏻

It's interesting that you can hear a difference when swapping polarity as many people claim they hear no difference. I usually do and consequently try both settings when I first put an album on and once set correctly, leave it for the rest of the album. 

When I heard the Type A mark ones years ago  driven by EAR 509's, the imaging was fantastic so I'm guessing that you will get there eventually by playing with positioning. 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Gizza said:

It's interesting that you can hear a difference when swapping polarity as many people claim they hear no difference. I usually do and consequently try both settings when I first put an album on and once set correctly, leave it for the rest of the album. 

When I heard the Type A mark ones years ago  driven by EAR 509's, the imaging was fantastic so I'm guessing that you will get there eventually by playing with positioning. 

Swapping phase didn’t particularly impact the imaging but switching between the two I lost body in upper bass/lower mids when out of phase (although as I understand and you allude to, phase can change based on recording).

I have only had the speakers a couple of weeks and have listened mainly with them toed in within a range from just behind to just in front of listening position. Last night I straightened them to point directly down the room. Rick’s suggestion of using a mono recording was a good one so tonight I have been gradually increasing toe in using selected tracks from Beach Boys Smile Sessions. I just wish that my speaker cable was more flexible as every movement threatens to snap another banana plug...

Edited by lostwin
Damn autocorrect

Fabulous setup Richard! Had a chuckle that the speakers block the doorway surely the antithesis of 21st century hi-fi - good to see you have the right priorities 😉

If I had more room and strength to move them, these would be my dream speaker. Dom's Scalford system is still etched in my mind!

10 hours ago, graham67 said:

Fabulous setup Richard! Had a chuckle that the speakers block the doorway surely the antithesis of 21st century hi-fi - good to see you have the right priorities 😉

I maintain a strict diet to ensure that I can continue to squeeze through into the room 😀

On 02/04/2019 at 23:15, graham67 said:

If I had more room and strength to move them, these would be my dream speaker. Dom's Scalford system is still etched in my mind!

You are also welcome to come down anytime to have a listen Graham. With summer coming Folkestone is a pretty good day out if you have family too.

cool Richard! Would love to hear them sometime. But not sure I could convince my digitally obsessed teenage son of the joys of Folkestone (or any other town for that matter!) :D

14 hours ago, graham67 said:

cool Richard! Would love to hear them sometime. But not sure I could convince my digitally obsessed teenage son of the joys of Folkestone (or any other town for that matter!) :D

Maybe this could tempt him - opening in the summer..

https://sidewalkmag.com/skateboard-news/folkestone-multi-storey-skatepark-interview.html