vanity

Curved Air

Saw them at Kendal Brewery last Friday. I wasn't expecting very much - Sonja Kristina is 66 now; I merely went to pay homage to an excellent band that I never actually saw in their heyday but didn't expect a lot from a band consisting predominantly of pensioners.

Jesus they were awesome! Possibly the best gig I've ever attended and confirmed by the other 5 folk I was with - we were all buzzing. They played quite a lot of their new material, the lyrics of which were intelligent, thought provoking and relevant to society today but it was the sheer level of musicianship that blew me away. I am a tightwad and have never ever bought any merchandise from any gig I have been to but I was so impressed I chucked forty quid over their makeshift counter afterwards.

Oh and Sonja Kristina is still as fit as a butcher's cat considering her age.

Super Wammer

That's interesting, I didn't realise they were still an act, let alone touring. A band I'd like to see, as I too missed them back in the day. Sadly, not performing anywhere near me. Nice to know that old folks can still rock :)

Saw them several times between '70 and '73 their gigs were a real experience at the time. Glad to hear Sonja is still fit, she was a teenage dream back in the day, as featured on my bedroom wall :love:. Only her and Florian from the original line up remaining, good to hear they have class musicians with them.

When I was 16 I have a hand embroidered Curved Air patch on my loons never saw them though

Andy that deserves a mega rep I know exactly where you are coming from .

Oh and Sonja Kristina is still as fit as a butcher's cat considering her age.

Ha ! cat! its Butchers dog , fishmongers had cats :D

Was Wolf (?) the violinist there ?

A great band which I have listened to since their first album in the 60's. I knew they were still touring (from Prog. Rock Mag.), but didn't realise they were in Kendal :doh:

More tour dates here from their website

http://www.curvedair.com/Curved-Air-Dates.html

Used to have a massive poster of Sonja on my bedroom wall. She often got it at bedtime. Well, y'know.......

Used to have a massive poster of Sonja on my bedroom wall. She often got it at bedtime. Well, y'know.......

I can't for the life of me think why. :whistle:

:love:

Edit: Don't spoil the moment, I don't want to see what she looks like now :nup:

Super Wammer

hope the voice is still there, it could make a teenage boys nut sack tighten in my day

I have the picture/colour vinyl version of their first album - I was so besotted with her back in 1970, I rushed out and bought it. Loved it too.

Super Wammer
I have the picture/colour vinyl version of their first album - I was so besotted with her back in 1970, I rushed out and bought it. Loved it too.

A friend of mine had that. Quite mesmerising watching it spin round :)

[video=youtube_share;tRqCyX1KLFM]

Was Wolf (?) the violinist there ?

No. The violinist was a guy called Paul Sax and he was damned good. Not quite as senile as Kristina or Pilkinton, or the audience for that matter (excluding myself of course!) but still in his 50s.

The new lead guitarist and bass player appeared to be in their early to mid 60s and they were equally awesome. The keyboard player was a full generation below the rest of the band and he was astoundingly good. His name is Robert Norton and is worth looking out for in the future; his piano solo was breathtaking.

Sonja Kristina was definitely as fit as a butchers domestic pet

I can't for the life of me think why. :whistle:

A45DD163-BF1E-4708-923A-EAA6F2F6D449_zpsr73dltib.jpg

:love:

Edit: Don't spoil the moment, I don't want to see what she looks like now :nup:

She still looks damn good now albeit a bit more on the cuddly side, just doesn't distract from her talent now. Her facial features are just the same as that photo.

Oh and the voice is still right there; just the same as it was 40 years ago. Doesn't bear comparison to Marianne Faithfull or Leonard Cohen.