Rob998

14 oz dry aged ribeye. How would you cook it?

I got a really nice big ribeye steak from the butcher today.

My usual style for good quality steak is rub with garlic, oil the meat, season with sea salt and chuck into a mega hot griddle pan and cook either blue or rare. I only ever marinade supermarket steak.

But I don't often get a piece of steak this size, and I was wondering if it needed any special handling?

I was thinking of firing up the barbie and chucking it on the coals for a black 'n' blue steak, but it's pissing down...

Well, I got hungry so in the absence of any alternative suggestions I did it my usual way, with some sautéed baby potatoes and wild mushrooms, and a mixed salad made with kürbiskernöl.

Lovely.

Bit late but ribeye needs to be cooked medium to melt the fat and release all that lovely flavour.

Ribeye is my favourite steak and I normally just rub with oil, salt and pepper, cook on a searing hot griddle for around 2 mins each side and then put the griddle in a very hot oven for around 10 mins. Rest for at least 5-10 mins or the juices will piss out otherwise.

Never had blue or rare, Is it not cold in the middle? medium for me.

Blue is like wow!!! I think i would look like this the next day.

serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.democratic-republicans.us%2Fimages%2Fvlad_the_impaler____madame_tussauds__london__by_dovahkiin_kulaas-d60u4an1.jpg&sp=0fe27caced7b784d3b6467452ebdd154

Overcooking a decent steak is about the most hideous crime known to humanity.

If the meat is good, then blue is perfect.

Anyone who eats steak medium or well done has no right to eat steak in the first place. It's simply wrong.

Overcooking a decent steak is about the most hideous crime known to humanity.

If the meat is good, then blue is perfect.

Anyone who eats steak medium or well done has no right to eat steak in the first place. It's simply wrong.

Then you clearly don't understand the different cuts and how fat content affects the cooking.

I will never forget the time i worked in a quite fancy establishment, i had an order for a well done steak (strange in the whole year i was there i never had an order for blue or rare) anyway i did what i thought was well done which was a lovely looking steak.

I was only to get the steak sent down with a *ucking big complaint well that steak got a big grilling to the point of charcoal. i never heard another thing from this episode. before i get slammed on this behavior i was just a young whipper snapper not that is any excuse for my ignorance.

Be careful what you ask for, medium rare for me.

whateverfloatsyourboatbrownies11.jpg

Then you clearly don't understand the different cuts and how fat content affects the cooking.

I beg to disagree.

Actually, I don't beg, but I do disagree.

If it's steak, then it should not need to be anything other than blue at best, or rare at worst. If it needs more than that, it isn't 'steak', it's stewing steak or similar.

Rump, fillet, sirloin? Does not matter. If the quality id suitably high, it never needs anything other than a good blast on both sides.

I used to go to Peter Luger in Brooklyn a fair bit. I'd to go to New York for work at least 3 times a year and it was a treat for whoever was around. The waiters there are notoriously grumpy and not getting on their nerves takes a few visits. They look at you with great disdain if you order anything other than medium rare...

Super Wammer

Rib-eye is one of my favourite cuts and in my experience it does have to be cooked just a tad bit more (as said above) to get all that juicy fat flavour melting into the meat. Tonight I had spaghetti vongole but really I would have preferred a steak.

Rib eye needs to be medium as stated above to melt the marbled fat. I agree that other cuts should be cooked rare.

It was so thick I did it a little longer than I usually would so as to render the "eye" of fat down, but it still ended up rare in the middle.

As it was such a big steak it was originally quite expensive, (£13!) but I walked in to the butchers quite late on in the day, so I got it for a fiver, for a 14oz, 28 day dry aged steak!

It was very good indeed. Must remember to rock up at the butchers near closing time more often!