hermit

Kenwood Trio Owners' Club

Lovely stuff on here.

My first ever piece of HiFi kit was a Trio KA-2500 integrated amplifier inherited in 1991, purchased in 1970 by my late grandfather for my uncle when he got his A-Levels! It was in daily use until September 1993 when I got a NAD 302. Regrettably I have no idea what happened to that amp :S

Fast forward 23 years or so and I've just pulled the trigger on a Kenwood KP-1100 turntable from Japan. Hopefully it'll be here next week.

Said turntable arrived today and looking/sounding great! I'll do some nicer pics at some point....

imag0638_33783275383_o.jpg

• Upvote 1

Trio/Kenwood.  The 1978-81 High Speed Sanken o/p transistorised amplifiers were something else, plus their Pulse Count Detector tuners and the turntables, such as the tweakable KD-1033B & S through to the masterful L-07D.  Even their cassette decks were high-quality, though they took time in doing metal capable and Dolby C decks compared with their immediate competition, yet always seemed more durable and better sounding than my friends tape decks, such was my old Comet variant of the Trio KX-530, the KX-503 in satin gunmetal grey finish, together with the Boots Audio variant of the Trio KA-305, the KA-3055, also in satin gunmetal grey and visibly matching the finish of my KD-1003B turntable rather well, - driving my  home-made 12" Altai/Piezo horn floorstanding speakers.  I'll have to dig-out an old Polaroid on that set-up sometime. 

I was in retail briefly in '81 and the top-end Trio items like the KA-907 high-speed integrated amp and the KT-917 pulse count detector tuner, plus L-07D turntable and L-08M 'Sigma-drive' (negative-feedback leads at the speaker terminals coupled) mono-block power amps, all left a mark with me;  sufficient to seek out in later years various iterations of these range-toppers like the L-01T tuner that could pull-in French stations here with a six-element roof aerial in SE Essex, a KA-907 integrated amp, the L-05M mono-block amps that claimed DC-to 650khz frequency bandwidth.  Then owning the earlier and much larger L-09M power amps, for which my pal at Rega measured and confirmed their 400-watt output capabilities without cooking.  Very well engineered and fine sounding items that I felt much bettered the high-end Luxman gear I'd tried in earlier days, like the M4000 power amp, which sounded veiled and unexiting by comparison.  

In fact, the L-0 series mono power amp models bettered some pretty important latter-day stuff;  both valve and transistor when driving the ultra fussy Tannoy Westminster HW's I had for over fifteen years.  The neutrality and control combined with considerable depth and fast response time making for the most un-boxy balance one could expect from those monsters.  Many anti-horn folk who came here finding them a most rewarding listen via these amps, which previously enjoyed EAR 519 100-watt mono's driving them with EAR 802 pre and then Audio Research SP11/2 pre.  The L-09M's staying in the system right up to owning my Townshend Allegri pre.  Fine amps that are rarely seen and pre-dating the product that the team who designed these Laboratory series components went on to become:  Accuphase.

KA-907 (1978-81), L-09M (1977-79) & L-05M (1978-81)

100_1112.thumb.jpg.a81502ac1018f32a150b28349d9c3253.jpg100_0879.thumb.jpg.37868d7757c0e2feceac8f50720ec87f.jpg100_0327.thumb.JPG.00fffb8253629b5fefaf05397322549e.JPG went on to become;  better known as  Accuphase.

Edited by britishcomposers

Super Wammer

Well due to the failure of my NetGear Modified Quad 405 amplifier (yes I know they never break down but sadly sometimes they do ) I needed a cheap replacement power amp so that I had music while the Quad is away being repaired .

Trawling e-bay I came across a scruffy looking Trio M1A power amp single bid £60 secured it . It arrived today and for once the pictures were worse than the reality it does not look too bad . 

After cracking the speaker terminals (never seen any like that before) it is now the heart of my spare bedroom / computer room SBT / Perpetual Technology PA1 /PA 3 / AVI Pre Amp/ Trio M1A Basic Amp / Linn Sara 9 . Frankly was not expecting much at all but listening as I type to Radio Paradise Flac stream and the music is very good indeed . Yes it lacks the tightest and extended bass but then so do most amplifiers. However the sound is very balanced and musical and it will go very load if I ask it too . 

Knew nothing about this Amplifier before I bought it and my respect for the engineers who designed what is I presume a fairly mid range model is very large indeed. I can now truthfully say I will not miss my Quad too much when it is away .

• Like 1

Still love my Trio 2055tt-Trio 3500 amp-5300 Tuner (or similar) I gave to lady-friend ...

The Trios were great for analogue vinyl-FM music.

Had a Kenwood 7090 CDP for 7 years too.

Sorry to say it, but recorded music WAS better then.

Edited by Chumpy

Here is my Kenwood DP-X9010 CD Transport - I am still not sure if it will benefit the clock upgrade path

002.jpg

Hi All, Well after dusting off my Trio system she powered up after 10+ years in storage beautifully.

The problem I now have is parts and in particular the stylus for my P-3S direct drive turnatable.

Any ideas where I can get one?