The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

It Cost How Much!?!

JBL Lets R-O-C-K

Picked up some JBL L26 decade.

Excellent condition, had to refoam and replace the evil binding posts.

Absolutely love them.

Tney just really enjoyable to listen to. Non fatiguing, lovely bass, lively and musical

Currently trying to work out what to do about the crosdovers.

Recap/rewire or Gravesen upgrade. 

A bit worried about changing the sound. Do i want to lose any of the rough edges? Not so sure.

Decisions decisions.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, forgot-my-id said:

Given the positive scribblings about everything Troels G produces, do the upgrade !

Have you or anybody else heard any of his jbl upgrades?

The upgrade price i have been quoted is pretty reasonable.

Edited by nut

Super Wammer

If you look back in this thread, especially posts by graham67, he has a pair of 4311s with a Troels upgrade and as I know from my own experiences with the same speakers, they sound rather nice :D

If you like the sound, then you may not need to do much. I recommend speaking to Paul Coupe at RFC who installed the Troels crossovers on the 4311 I bought from Pete ( Orbscure).

In my case I knew I couldn't live long term with a std pair of 4311 due to the hash caused by the basic crossovers leaking frequencies across drivers. This is completely solved by the Troels xover. I was lucky to purchase this pair after all the hard work had been done by Pete. They sound amazing and probably now better the current range of retro JBL studio monitors which I have heard but in less than ideal show conditions.

Paul is currently indisposed so I would waiting a couple of weeks before making contact. But he is a very helpful person and an artisan of xovers. He also built the xovers on my previous Tannoys.

I would suggest enjoying the L26 for a while and with familiarity you will get an idea of their strengths and the areas that could be improved.

Posted (edited)

Is there a preferred capacitor  to use in recapoing jbl?

Bit confused  by the choices from solgen to .....

.what have others used?

Edited by nut

I’ve just picked up a pair of jbl 4312mk2.

What’s  the brst room positioning for tne 4311/2 etc speakers?

Can tney be tucked aeay in a corner quite close to tne alls?

thanks.

Lovely, they are the walnut cabs with cool blue fronts IIRC?

I have the original hfc test of these will try to find it but may take me a while!

being front ported is good however they do produce a lot of bass which can get a bit strong in a smaller room. I have mine toed in about a foot to 18 inches from corners and use GIK Tritrap bass traps to tame the bass.

I am sure you will enjoy them 😊

21 hours ago, graham67 said:

Lovely, they are the walnut cabs with cool blue fronts IIRC?

I have the original hfc test of these will try to find it but may take me a while!

being front ported is good however they do produce a lot of bass which can get a bit strong in a smaller room. I have mine toed in about a foot to 18 inches from corners and use GIK Tritrap bass traps to tame the bass.

I am sure you will enjoy them 😊

Yes...that”s them.

A luvly big open clear sound.

I seem to have got carried away.

I still have the gravesen upgrades to the L26 in progress.

Not to mention tne AN silver wired snell k.

I can’t bear  to get rid of any of them, but should dO.

Posted (edited)

After refoaming my JBL L26 I have just finished the Gravesen crossover upgrades.

All Jantzen parts.

New felt and acoustic padding.

Crosscaps and superiir z-caps.

I have only had a relatively short listen to tnem, but a big difference.

Smoother in the highs, bass tighter and more of it.

But retaining/improvong on all the energy, dynamcs and attack that i liked before.

I think they definately would have benefitted from a simple recap alone, but all the upgrades have transformed them  into a hugely enjoyable listen.

It’s going to be interesting comparing them to my 4312mk2.

I’m releived to say that i don’t think there is a Gravesen upgrade for the 4312mk2 as his upgrades for the JBLs are for non titanium tweeter variants.

Releved because i’d feel compelled to upgrade the 4312mk2 aswell.

I’ve already spent too much, and am very happy with tne 4312mk2 exactly as they are. In fact they sound wonderful.

Not at all fatiguing to my ears.

i had the dials set to 3 and 3, and thought tney sounded luvly.

After a couple of hours listening, i upped tne mid level to 6, and the improvement in sound was very noticable.

Thoroughly happy, and definately have a thing for JBLs.

i need to self exclude myself from ebay as it’s worse than online bookmakers for me!

i should add big thank yous to Firebottle for his excellent work in building the crossovers, and to Mr Gravesen for designing/publishing tne upgrades and his patience in answering many questions.

Edited by nut
  • Like 1

I’m finding the Gravesen L26 quite addictive.

Can’t beleive the difference.

The 4312mk2 sound stunning, but can’t get beyond tne L26 at the moment.

I’m sure tne maranz pm4 is doinng it’s no small part, but the L26 are just lvuly to listen to.

Great result Nut 😊. Is it a fixed crossover that dispenses with the L pads?

I am addicted to Troels JBLs too, love the big generous sound, which is great for rock and pop. For my room size I haven't heard anything I prefer regardless of cost.

Does this qualify as being in the JBL club ? :D

If your a going to buy a bluetooth speaker, buy a big one :D

Its not too bad actually, big sound that's felt as much as heard. Wish there was a bit more tweekabilty though, there's a power on button and volume, thats it. Oh and there is a bass boost which is completely useless.